Intake, probably asked a million times.....

Riggs

Mar 31, 2005
Linden, NJ
Okay, I am starting to look into an intake for my pony pack v6 but the problem is there are so many out there. From what i hear plastic intake tubing is the best because metal attracts too much heat, is JLT a good intake? or is the top K&N better? Need some serious advice, I will be using a SCT Tuner.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll remain neutral on which product to choose.

Concerning the material questions you posed - plastic intake materials can be susceptible to cracking and although metal "can" be susceptible to heat transfer from the engine, keep in mind that the air is only in the tube for a very short time.

So, if we are talking about two intake kits one made with a plastic tube and one with a metal tube, the material used does not really impact the kit's ability to deliver cool air as much as the overall design.

Look for a well designed intake that uses heat shielding to isolate the air filter from the rest of the engine compartment, and that has been street proven and recommended by other enthusiasts. Keep away from reading too much into marketing materials and Dyno chart on Mfgs websites.

Hit the seach function for the two intakes you asked about and you will be surprised at what pops up.

Jenn

I installed the Western Motorsports ram air CAI and i love it! I know there are a couple of other people on here that have it and love it as well. It's a bit more of an involved installation(relocating the coolant tank, and extending the MAF wires but i did mine in an hour without any problems.