Interior Paint Help

Old Skooler

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2012
I started prepping and painting my interior this weekend and ran into a problem. LMR was my original paint option but when the order got to my house it was gloss red not black, so I bought the Dupli color vynal/fabric paint, prep wipes and primer.

Prep:
Wipe down with mineral spirits, lightly hand sand surface with 320 grit, wash with soap and water, (repeat if needed), then I use the prep wipes, primer/ adhesion agent, let sit for a couple of hours and paint. Holding can 8 to 10" from plastic coating evenly.

Now the problem: in some spots I get this weird crinkle affect. 90% of the painted surface looks awesome so I don't get it. I've taken a tremendous amount of time in prep purchased what I believe to be the right product. Has any one experienced this?

FYI it was 81 degrees in my garage and 63% humidity outside

• Sponsors (?)

I started prepping and painting my interior this weekend and ran into a problem. LMR was my original paint option but when the order got to my house it was gloss red not black, so I bought the Dupli color vynal/fabric paint, prep wipes and primer.

Prep:
Wipe down with mineral spirits, lightly hand sand surface with 320 grit, wash with soap and water, (repeat if needed), then I use the prep wipes, primer/ adhesion agent, let sit for a couple of hours and paint. Holding can 8 to 10" from plastic coating evenly.

Now the problem: in some spots I get this weird crinkle affect. 90% of the painted surface looks awesome so I don't get it. I've taken a tremendous amount of time in prep purchased what I believe to be the right product. Has any one experienced this?

FYI it was 81 degrees in my garage and 63% humidity outside

Anytime you get a paint reaction,..it's ALWAYS because the substrate had some contamination on/in it.
You can be a prepping fool,...and there was enough Armor All used on that plastic that it will still show up to bite you in the ass. I can't say what kind of stuff is under that primer that trashed your finish,...but obviously there is something.

Have you tried to lightly sand it and topcoat the bad part again?
Have you tried to scratch off the paint w/ your fingernail? ( anywhere else)