Is it worth it to rebuild my Tremec 3550?

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys, Its been a while since I posted but my occupation changed in Feb. I'm not a computer tech anymore I'm a New Orleans Fire Fighter. Anyway, As you all know New Orleans was hit by Hurricane Katrina. Well, my car was one of the casualties. She was under about 10-12 feet of water in the fire house where I was working. I put my claim in to my insurance company so they'll be totaling it. I'm gonna buy it back so I can get my heads, intake, tb, MAF, tranny. I was thinking, will it be worth it to get the Tremec 3550 rebuilt or would it be more cost effective to just buy a new Tremec? I'm pretty sure the parts for the 3550 are expensive......IF they even make them anymore.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the city was flooded with salt water. Both the Mississippi river and Lake Pontchartrain are salt water. So, I'm thinking maybe the salt water did more damage than fresh water would. Does anybody know if D&D sells all the internal parts for a 3550? I've never seen parts for 3550s on their site, not even a rebuild kit like they sell for T5s. That's the main reason why I'm asking because I've never seen any company advertise parts for Tremec 3550s and TKOs.

I would take it to a tranny shop, have them disassemble entire trans. Then re-lube and reassemble. If there was nothing wrong with it before, the sal****er would not corrode the stainless steel gears that fast. It might be cheaper then to replace all of the internals for no reason.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I'll just have to see how bad the trany is when I get the car somewhere to tear it down. I finally had a chance to get back to the fire house where it was the other day.....OMG!!!! I almost cried when I saw my car. It looked terrible inside and out. I never thought I'd ever see my car in that condition. I can't belive my baby is dead. I just want to get everything salvageable off of the car and get rid of it. I just can't stand to see my baby like that. I'll build another one later. After all this disaster stuff going on I just don't have the enthusiasm that I used to have. Alot of my friends have given up on thier stangs and are going to get motorcycle but I'm going to build me another stang in a year or so. Maybe I'll be able to build a nice turbo motor. Right now I'm just looking for a truck to get me around. Well, thanks again guys.