It's not a 302, so what pistons do i have?

Well i got the heads off tonight, and the first thing i noticed is the pistons say .030 right in the middle.

I go check my spare block which is a stock 89 block and the pistons say ford on them.

Bust out the dial caliper and sure enough the cylender bore is 4.030 .

The pistons do not say anything other than ".030" on them, but they look just like the pistons in my stock short block other then that.

Anybody have any clue what pistons these are?

Is there anyway to tell if they're forged or hyperU-CRAPPED-IT???

Pics of the mystery 306 pistons.
View attachment 434214
View attachment 434216
View attachment 434218

Oh and whats the best way to clean these pups? Or is it not even worth doing?

• Sponsors (?)

Roland69 said:
Thank you captain obvious :p :D

I know it's a 306, didn't know that before i pulled the heads though.

What i'm wondering is what brand/type they are. Forged or hyper, if it's even possible to tell without pulling them out of the block and having them sent to some crazy smart metalurgist type place.

PoopDawg said:
:rlaugh: :lol: :lol: :rlaugh:

Best tech of the year!

They look sorta like TRW pistons with the stock type 4 reliefs. take the pistons out and see if you can find a part number... Then Rick91GT can probably tell you more about them.
I I I , this was supposed to be a simple headswap.

Don't wanna take the pistons out, even if thats the only way to know for sure. It's just out of the budget right now.

I've spent $3000 in the last two months, just on my car.
If my wife knew that.....well lets just say she would be pissed lol.

Marlboro_Man said:
I I I , this was supposed to be a simple headswap.

Don't wanna take the pistons out, even if thats the only way to know for sure. It's just out of the budget right now.

I've spent $3000 in the last two months, just on my car.
If my wife knew that.....well lets just say she would be pissed lol.
If she did, the "I love Marlboro Man" sign might say something else....

jrichker said:

Or she might be doing something else besides holding a sign that says "I love marlboro man" But if she asks you can't lie about it...tell her you needed to get your car to run so you can get to work.

Modular2v said:
the real question now is. . . . how do you know the rods and crank are stock? :) You might have a 331 or 347 on your hands and not know it ;)
I guess i don't. If it's stroked it sure was a slow stroker.

The car had a S/C on it at one time. I know because the oil pan is tapped, boost gauge inside, mounts under the hatch for an external pump, ect ect. Now i find out it's a 306.

I wonder what the cc is on the pistons. They don't look like low compression pistons do they?

jrichker said:
:lol: yeah more like :chair:

You could always threaten one of the pistons until it gives up the info.. or you could hit one with a hammer really hard.. if it shatters, its hyper.. if not, probably forged..

z2o_what said:
pull the oil pan off and use a flash-lite to see if you can see a part number inside the piston
I tried using my extendable mirror and flashlight through the cam hole but i couldn't find any numbers or letters under them.

Modular2v said:
no! those are not low compression pistons, they are flat tops
I thought Flat tops had no reliefs? Hence the name...

After looking at the summit link 86bluecobra posted it says they are Dish pistons.

86bluecobra said:
if it was a s/c engine i bet the guy bought forged.
Thats what i'm thinking/hoping. Well forged or hypers they've liked the 100 shot so far :D

sgarlic said:
You could always threaten one of the pistons until it gives up the info.. or you could hit one with a hammer really hard.. if it shatters, its hyper.. if not, probably forged..
Last night i had a spotlight pointed at it and my .380 in my hand and they still wouldn't talk.

Maybe i'll try the hammer tommorow.....:lol:

86bluecobra said:
Yes they do look like those. Except the ones in my block don't have any markings on top like those appear to. The only marking mine have is .030