Manual to Auto swap

COBRAIIW

Apr 26, 2003
CT
Just got done today swapping the C4 into the 77.
Fired her up,SRRCCEEEEEECCCCHHHHHHH !!!!

WTF?

Checked some things, found that my machinist who added the 50 oz. weight made it too thick! It's scraping the plate between the engine and bellhousing.
I could scream! That was a lot of work! :bang:

Looks like I will have to grind it down myself through the bottom of the bellhousing (inspection plate removed)

What this is going to do to my balance is anybodys guess, but I need the car as a daily,starting monday,so I will have to deal.

Oh yeah,the machinist WILL hear about it! :fuss:

• Sponsors (?)

To do it right, you'll have to take it out and take it back down tot he machinist and have a thinner weight (for clearance) of the same 50oz put in it's place. You start grinding on it and it won't be 50oz anymore, will it? :p

Took another look,it doesn't seem as though my spacer plate is sitting flush.
How can this be,if the alignment pins locate it in position?
Bent spacer plate?
Can it be bent away without removing too much?

You need to find out exactly why the plate bent.

If the plate wasn't bent before installation this points to a potential problem. Could be misaligning the crank and trans, just because you can't see a gap doesn't mean there isn't one.

It could have bound on a pin or bolt, could have something between the plate and block or housing. I've seen plates where the hole got munched by the pin.

My machinist is off the hook,(good thing I didn't call him)
it appears that one of the torque convertor attachment bolt threads is hitting the plate,maybe I'll shave a little off the end.
The threads sticking thru the nuts are longer than the balancing wieght.
I determined this by paint on the weight, and paint on the bolt threads,then crank it over,and find where the paint scraped off.

Right, but there is no reason for the studs to be hitting the heat shield/spacer plate (whatever you wanna call it) May have a slight bend in the plate. Unless it's really obvoius that one of the 4 studs is longer, I wouldn't shave them down.

Wouldn't be the first time a flex plate bent, or the converter plug wasn't in it's hole, or hardware was ill fitting or installed incorrectly, or a block plate got munnched, or ...

Probably something simple.

Well, I did a little bit of shaving on the weight, and used a long bent end steel rod to push the plate away from the flexplate, got just enough clearance to get rid of the noise.
Now all I can hear is my mufflers, the way it should be. Thank God!

BTW,I didn't touch the studs.

COBRAIIW said:
Well, I did a little bit of shaving on the weight, and used a long bent end steel rod to push the plate away from the flexplate, got just enough clearance to get rid of the noise.
Now all I can hear is my mufflers, the way it should be. Thank God!

:nonono: :shrug: :nonono: