McLeod twin disc meet the hype? Update: We're going to find out...

A bad clutch cable and pivot ball that isnt adjusted correctly is going to make everything much worse.

The pivot ball in the factory position is sometimes way to far away from the pressure plate. If you get an adjustable pivot ball and set it to where the clutch fork has about .050'' clearance to the pressure plate you will be very surprised at how much more control you have of the clutch pedal. The cables seem to cause the most issues though, it could be binding up and you dont even realize it.

If you do go twin disc, that is a ton of extra mass, and if it were me, i would use a aluminum flywheel. The steel stuff for something that gets driven hard has so much extra mass and there is no reason to hang that much weight on the driveline with modern clutch technology.
Wasn’t sure if you still lurked here but your advice is certainly one everyone should strongly take !!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Torque was breaking them. Turbo 3.0 Supras spinning 9k rpm to make power don't make the torque of 7L turbo + nitrous V8s making the same power at 6k rpm. HP doesn't break drivetrain components, torque does. And more than anything, the shock of a dead hook high rpm launch does. There again, a big V8 has a lot more rotating mass. Also, I dunno if you're referring to magnums, but back in those days, this was before the 6060 or the magnum, and no stock T56 takes 1300 rwhp at any rpm for very long.

Anyways, those guys finally built what I did, the g-force geared t56 and it solved their problems. It has a reduced helix angle and 9310 alloy. Still the strongest H-pattern transmission I'm aware of, but the magnums are doing some amazing things.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
I'll probably call walt at promotion next week and get his thoughts. I have dealt with him before and seems to support what he sells. And since he has the clutch listed at the same price as everyone else, might as well get it from someone qualified.
Had a half dozen sinus fixes done a few days ago, so I haven't been up for much verbal conversing or I would have called already.
Have done plenty of reading and it would seem the aluminum flywheel with twin disc to save weight may have some merit, so i'm not ruling that out.
Although I doubt this car will ever dead hook on a lowered road race style suspension and 18 inch wheels and I just don't see track trips in my future.

I'm much more after a quality driving experience right now, so whichever flywheel offers that, will likely be my route.

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but the cable moves freely, I have a 94/95 clutch fork and the pivot ball is shimmed out with a washer (based on promotions suggestions, years ago)

Last edited:
I'm much more after a quality driving experience right now, so whichever flywheel offers that, will likely be my route.
I doubt the driving experience will differ all that much. I wish you were local so I could let you see for yourself. Both of the twin disc cars feel better than the single-disc stock replacement LUK clutch with an iron flywheel that's in the convertible. They are also better than my memory of the more aggressive Spec clutches that I've had, which chattered, and were more on/off switch feeling with a very narrow "sweet spot". But those experiential differences are more about the clutch than the flywheel, I believe.

That said, the Ford HD, King Cobras, & centerforce clutches I've had all drove very nicely when they had the right quadrant, cable, & adjuster. The twin-discs are just a lighter pedal. I can't say that I can 'feel' any inertial difference with the twin/aluminum combo vs. the single/steel combos that I've had. So, I can understand how you'd want to reuse what you have and save a bit of money, and you're probably right about not hooking with your suspension. So, might be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Torque was breaking them. Turbo 3.0 Supras spinning 9k rpm to make power don't make the torque of 7L turbo + nitrous V8s making the same power at 6k rpm. HP doesn't break drivetrain components, torque does. And more than anything, the shock of a dead hook high rpm launch does. There again, a big V8 has a lot more rotating mass. Also, I dunno if you're referring to magnums, but back in those days, this was before the 6060 or the magnum, and no stock T56 takes 1300 rwhp at any rpm for very long.

Anyways, those guys finally built what I did, the g-force geared t56 and it solved their problems. It has a reduced helix angle and 9310 alloy. Still the strongest H-pattern transmission I'm aware of, but the magnums are doing some amazing things.
I agree and know this . 2j does make some torque and the driveline shock these guys go through is insane .

With an impending sale at LMR, I called my buddy yesterday.
Seemed to be a no brainer to him to keep the flywheel as is, if it's good or resurfacing condition.
New dowel kit, 11 inch 26 spline RST clutch. Came in delivered at about $692.00.
May not be a ton off, but that number sure sounds a lot better than $770, lol.

He also said, not to buy any throwout bearing other than the Ford racing, the rest are too prone to failure.
I have a new one in a box somewhere, but i'm hesitant to mess with the quiet low mileage one in the car right now.

Shouldn't it be a 10.5" clutch? (edit... oh... for the 4.6, duh...)

I've had bad luck with the Ford T/O bearings, lately. Gonna start looking into other brands... hopefully some quality American ones. I thinks even Ford's are chinese, now.

Shouldn't it be a 10.5" clutch? (edit... oh... for the 4.6, duh...)

I've had bad luck with the Ford T/O bearings, lately. Gonna start looking into other brands... hopefully some quality American ones. I thinks even Ford's are chinese, now.

I've had bad luck with other brands myself.
They install probably 50+ a year, so I tend to heed the warnings.
30 or years or so experience working on mustangs pretty much exclusively.
Usually where all my way underpriced parts come from.

Didn't install the clutch yet, drove the car around yesterday for a while.
I think i need my head examined and i need to stop coming up with fictional problems to fix over the winter without actually driving the car. Or at least take a ride before i buy crap i don't need.
First, my clutch just isn't that bad, for some reason i got it in my head that it was (didn't drive it for at least 6 months, probably more) and my other issue is that i keep feeling like the car is too loud. Well, it is too loud, in the freaking garage where i start and run it. But cruising, it's fine, almost quiet in 5th gear with a .64 ratio and an engine that doesn't lug down low.
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time, but i think i'm going to do something i rarely do, return it.
My bad...

I was going to add that I've installed McLeod twin discs in a bunch of Chevys lately. All of them with the included aluminum flywheel. Absolutely awesome clutches. The last is installed in a supercharged Camaro making north of 800hp. Felt like a stock clutch but didn't skip a beat.

I've got so much time and money ( not as much as most but a lot to me ) in my car and I constantly think I have issues that aren't there. Smh