MOG - I can't stand the drone anymore, help me change my exhaust

I haven't posted in 4.6 Tech in a while so here's the relevant setup info:
2002 GT Convertible
JBA Cat4ward Shorties
MRT Hi-flow Catted Mid-pipe
Magnaflow Catback
The usual intake stuff, CAI, TB, Plenum

For the record I love the sound of this setup when I'm driving aggressively. The car really sounds badass. But the car is my daily driver and it has an aweful drone around 1900-2000 rpms. I had no issues with setup before the Magnaflow catback was installed. I have had the catback on the car for about a year and lived with it, but I mostly was only driving it to work which is a short trip. Recently I have had to take longer trips with it, and its too much for long trips. I even put down Dynamat Xtreme in the trunk and under the rear seat to quiet it down, but it didn't help. The car is much quieter when not in the drone zone though. :)

My question to you guys/gals is what are my options? So far I'm thinking
1) Get the FRPP Catback M-5230-M51. I've got the 5.0 version on my 87 LX 5.0 and its got a nice sound. I might like it a little louder, but this will do. And I could sell the Magnaflow catback for a little coin as it only has about 3K miles on it.
2) Get some quieter mufflers and re-use the rest of the catback. I have no idea which mufflers to get. Options?

Help me out - what do you think is best???

TIA

I too have the regular magnaflow catback 1571 and the drone is driving me crazy.
I also have a vert (2003 GT) and from all of the research I have been doing, the vert+ automatic + after market exhaust=drone...

I have the stock H-pipe BTW.

I did a LOT of research before buying this system because I didn't want a loud system and i didn't want drone. I am very impressed with the way the car sounds when either cruising around town because it is a nice quiet rumble.
However, I drive at 65-70mph on the highway, and the drone is very annoying.
In fact under load, anything from 1850-2150 or so is horrid.
One thing I will say is the SOP dyno says the car is faster and believe it or not, my mileage has increased by 2mpg!

So anyhow, I am wondering what solution you came up with?

The Corral fix looks sick! It is supposed to be 100 percent cure but I wonder about those tubes knocking around under there and how it will effect the longetivity of the system.
IOW is it really worth it?

I just ordered a set of Bassani inserts for the 3.5 inch tips because from what I have read, they are supposed to eliminate 99 percent of the drone.
Another person drilled a 3/8inch hole after the muffler but before the tailpipe and supposedly that fixed the problem?
Comments?

I might just end up getting either the FRPP M51 system OR the Steeda catback which supposedly does not drone.

So how did you solve the problem?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i came in here expecting to see someone complaining about an offroad pro-chamber and flows... but no they are complaining about the most minimalistic done ever...

your allowed to complain once you have prochamber and flows... untill then its just "character" :) btw i just ditched my prochamber and went BBK LT's and H haha

i came in here expecting to see someone complaining about an offroad pro-chamber and flows... but no they are complaining about the most minimalistic done ever...

your allowed to complain once you have prochamber and flows... untill then its just "character" :) btw i just ditched my prochamber and went BBK LT's and H haha

If YOU like a constant droning sound rattling your ears that's fine.
I don't.
There is a difference between a nice sounding exhaust and an awful drone.
The Magnaflow catback sounds great at certain RPM but under load at 1850rpm-2100rpm, it drones like mad and sounds like crap both outside and inside the car.

Granted it isn't the ear splattering Flowmaster drone, but is spoils the exhaust sound just the same.

FWIW I feel OR systems sound mostly like crap.
Too loud.
Too raspy and the popping on decel sounds like crap.
Just my opinion however.

A good exhaust system should rumble at idle, let you know it's there at crusing and scream at WOT.
The Magnaflow 1571 catback is 99 percent there.
Get rid of the cruising drone and it's a winner.

Sorry, I forgot to post what I did. :(

I ended up buying the FRPP catback. Not as loud as the Magnaflows, and doesn't sound as aggressive at WOT, but the drone is gone. And it does have a great sound at WOT, just not quite as wicked as the Magnaflows.

I'm happy with this for now. I don't have the time to try the solution from the corral at the moment, too much going on.

BTW - there's a used Magnaflow catback in Stangnet's Classified for sale. :D

... But the car is my daily driver and it has an aweful drone around 1900-2000 rpms. I had no issues with setup before the Magnaflow catback was installed. I have had the catback on the car for about a year and lived with it, but I mostly was only driving it to work which is a short trip. ...TIA

I have the MagnaFlow cat-back & catted X. I have no drone. Had this set up for about 4 years now.

I have the MagnaFlow cat-back & catted X. I have no drone. Had this set up for about 4 years now.

Ahh, the Giants fan is still here. :nonono:

J/K, I hear you. This seems to be a problem for people with the MRT mid-pipe and/or convertibles. The whole back end of the car resonates like a guitar when you hit 1900-2000 rpms.

I'm happy its gone, but I miss that Magnaflow sound. :( The FRPP is close, but not quite as loud.

Ahh, the Giants fan is still here. :nonono:

J/K, I hear you. This seems to be a problem for people with the MRT mid-pipe and/or convertibles. The whole back end of the car resonates like a guitar when you hit 1900-2000 rpms.

I'm happy its gone, but I miss that Magnaflow sound. :( The FRPP is close, but not quite as loud.

Bingo!

I have a vert, but stock H mid-pipe.

I'm kinda getting used to it, mostly because I've learned to drive around it and FWIW the Magnaflows sound incredible in all ranges except the "drone zone" where it kind of sounds "ricey, only deeper" because the hummmm overpowers the sweet sound of the exhaust itself.

Which FRPP did you go with (which part number) and was it in pieces (unlike the stock system) so you didn't have to drop the axle to install?

TIA!

Bingo!

I have a vert, but stock H mid-pipe.

I'm kinda getting used to it, mostly because I've learned to drive around it and FWIW the Magnaflows sound incredible in all ranges except the "drone zone" where it kind of sounds "ricey, only deeper" because the hummmm overpowers the sweet sound of the exhaust itself.

Which FRPP did you go with (which part number) and was it in pieces (unlike the stock system) so you didn't have to drop the axle to install?

bump!
Anyone?

TIA!