Motor Mounts on 65 289

Hey 302, here's a picture of my torque strap. I had some extra braided steel cable laying around so I figured I'd try it out. Mine's not as beefy as yours but I think it will do the trick. If not...I'll just make another one out of thicker cable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3,324
  • Sponsors (?)

grainboy said:
It looks like there are 6 pieces to use the cast posts. The motor mounts, the cast posts, and something that looks like angle iron with a bolt through one end. What is that piece for?

It is basically an angled spacer. It is mounted between the rubber motor mount and the cast posts. Definately needed. The stud mounts into the cast post (actually a square hole. The hole on top of the V-spacer is for attaching the rubber mount.

Here is a set of 65's that I recently sold on ebay:

MMounts.jpg

And here are what the 65' rubber mounts look like:

mount2.jpg

302 coupe said:
pics of said mounts

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first one pictured above is for 11/65 and after convertible mustangs. They have a bolt(nice upgrade), but they don't work on hardtops, the mount is too short(heigth wise) and the bolt holes will not line up on the block, part number for those is 2287. A similar mount, part number 2286, is for hardtops, looks similar but is taller and has no bolt. I have the 2286's and they suck. the other mount shown above is for V8 stangs made up until 10/31/65. They are the post type mount that require the cast iron frame mount. Part numbers for these are 2220 and 2221 for LH and RH sides, respectively.

I have a 65 mustang convertible runnning a 302/330 hp, and Mustangs Unlimited give me the opposite saying the 2287 motor mount is for coupes and fastbacks and the 2286 is for convertible. Presently I have the 2220/2221 combo but the engine seems to be very low making my exhaust touch the reinforcement plate behing the tranny.

Cast mount pics, both installed and loose. These are the same mounts, dirty and cleaned up.

dr-mnt-abv.jpg

dr-mnt-lower.jpg

dr-mnt-side.jpg

pass-mnt-abv.jpg

pass-mnt-frnt.jpg

pass-mnt-lower.jpg

mvc-001f.jpg

mvc-002f.jpg

mvc-003f.jpg

mvc-004f.jpg

Attachments

• dr-mnt-abv.jpg
    dr-mnt-abv.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 170
  • dr-mnt-lower.jpg
    dr-mnt-lower.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 171
  • dr-mnt-side.jpg
    dr-mnt-side.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 143
  • pass-mnt-abv.jpg
    pass-mnt-abv.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 162
  • pass-mnt-frnt.jpg
    pass-mnt-frnt.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 143
  • pass-mnt-lower.jpg
    pass-mnt-lower.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 127
  • mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 120
  • mvc-002f.jpg
    mvc-002f.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 142
  • mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 116
  • mvc-004f.jpg
    mvc-004f.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 135
The pre-66 mounts look beefier than the others, is this the case or is it just a matter of looks being deceiving? I'm getting ready to put my engine back in, mostly stock, doubt it's making more than 290hp, should I look at putting in the OEM mounts or should I plunk down the cash to 'upgrade' to the newer style? The mounts that I have look like they were replaced about 10 or so years ago, but I might replace them just because they're already out and it would be an easy thing to do.

Mustangs Unlimited is incorrect and has the descriptions reversed. I puilled the motor mounts from my 68 Conv and the 2286 set would not fit. The 2287 set fit perfectly.

1965 Mustang Convertible motor mounts

Thanks for your prompt replies; does anyone know why motor mounts on a 65 289 convertible are different than on a fastback or a coupe. By the way I'm going to try the 2287 motor mounts eventhough I already have the 2220 and 2221, just curious.
Thanks again