need help with stall converter

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
alright, im gettin a c4 in two weeks and its coming with a 3800-4400 stall converter. im pretty sure that is entirely too much stall for my motor and gears. its not a daily driver but id like it to be streetable. what stall should i get? i need stall speed and companies that make good stall converters. id like to sell this one for enough to get a new one since its only got like 2k miles on it and supposedly is a custom stall for nitrous and blower applications. educate me please. thanks

ps. mods are in sig

• Sponsors (?)

Stalls are related to the torque of the engine, the gearing and the weight of the car.

It might verywell be too much stall, might want to try it out. If you dont floor it, it wont stall to 3800. It will still creep forward, but when you gas it, your rpms will jump before the car moves.

Only way to tell is to test it.

i mean, is it just gonna be slipping the entire time until i hit 3800. like what if im cruising down the road, i dont want to burn the converter up because its slipping. or this is me just being a newb at automatics?

my car starts making good power at about 3k rpms so wouldnt a 3800 stall just waste part of the power band. maybe it wouldnt, i dont know much about this stuff and need some help guys. thanks

hllon4whls said:
Stalls are related to the torque of the engine, the gearing and the weight of the car.

It might verywell be too much stall, might want to try it out. If you dont floor it, it wont stall to 3800. It will still creep forward, but when you gas it, your rpms will jump before the car moves.

Only way to tell is to test it.

how will i know if its too high of a stall? will the car just be slower than normal? i mean, i know it will work, but i dont want to have to pull this tranny to replace the converter any time soon since a c4 is pretty heavy and not a lot of fun when the car is on jack stands.

im not sure on the bolt pattern, its the small bellhousing c4 if im not mistaken with a 157 tooth flywheel. a stock converter wont really do me any good will it? maybe it will, i dont know. where are you located?

you need around 2600-2800 for your horsepower range. Call dynamic transmissions, or Art Carr. they are some of the best in the business. Art car built my 9" race/street convertor years ago and its still being used today....(sold it) and it was built in 94!

thanks man, how much do converters usually run? im not really trying to spend any money on this at all...but it looks like i might have to which is bad. i need to get this thing together before i go to school in january or its gonna be sitting with no tranny in it for a year.

edit: what would happen if i ran this converter that im getting? the car this stuff is coming out of had 4.56 gears and a completely built motor with 400hp i believe. so this converter shouldnt stall as high on my car correct?

it shouldnt, but it will be extremly loose! almost will feel like its slippin. Just stick a stock convertor in for $60 and drive it till you get time to do something different! Or you can get a TCI convertor for around $300 and you should be ok. An art carr "GOOD ONE" prolly will start at $499 and go up!
good luck man
Jack

60 bucks? doesnt sound bad if thats about what they cost. guess ill sell this one and look for a stock one or a used one. the car is being parked in january or before then probably but i just want something in it so i can drive it. thanks for the help man

just when you get ready to buy ask your local transmisson shop where their wholesale supplier is located for convertors/parts.........we have to major ones here in mobile........USAmatic, and dayton! They also sell wholesale to public. Plus if you have questions........who better to ask? :nice:

They can prolly even set you up with a slightly higher stall than stock for a couple hundren bucks........hope this helps!
Jack

ECU5.0 said:
i mean, is it just gonna be slipping the entire time until i hit 3800. like what if im cruising down the road, i dont want to burn the converter up because its slipping. or this is me just being a newb at automatics?

there is nothing to slip...the converter spins which turns the fluid which causes rotation. nothing will burn , it's a fluid link

well i figure im gonna be parking the mustang here before too long anyways. im just gonna put it in and see how she drives. if its too much stall the car will just be parked earlier than expected and will have to wait until i get done with school in 2007 and than it will get the necessary mods to work with the converter. since it was built for his guys car to stall at 3800 it will stall at around 3k on mine since gearing and engine torque are really what determines when the converter stalls....so wish me luck and hopefully it will stall around 3k