Need to know what size drag radials for 97 cobra.

ZACH'S97

Apr 21, 2007
My nittos are completely bald so I have to order new drag radials this week. The wheels are 10.5" wide Cobra R's 17". The car had 275 40 17 nitto drag radials. The car hooked okay on the street, but I could only cut 2.0 60's at the track so I want to go with something stickier. The car is not my daily driver so I want M/T et street radials (315 35 17's) I know those will fit the wheels better, but will there be any clearance issues? The cars rear suspension consists of steeda springs and strange struts. I am not overly worried about breaking an axle because it is not my daily driver, and I have seen several 8.8's hold up making way more power; but I have seen a few fail. Anyway what do you guys think about these tires and fitment? Any other recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the response. I know all of my friends with mustangs have 9" wide wheels and are running 275's so I know mine need to be wider. I'm just worried about clearance issues due to the lowering springs. The 275's clear, but 315's are quite a bit wider. Anybody have 315's on a lowered car?

I stopped in a local wheel and tire shop and had a guy look at it. He said didn't see anyway for me to run a wider tire than a 275. He said it will be close to the quad-shock, but that there is also a rubber line that they would probably hit..I haven't had time to look up under there to see what he is talking about. He did say it was on the driver side. I'm going to try to get my buddy to bring his 02 gt over and put his 10.5 cobra r's on my car that have 315's and see if it clears if I can ever catch up with the guy. I'm really going to be let down if they won't clear because a 315 would look so much better on those wheels.