Neutral Safety Switch Replacement

• Sponsors (?)

Assuming it's a c4 - it is located on the trans linkage section. Harness unplugs at firewall. When re installing you need to make sure lined up correctly - there is a small hole that that you put bit/paper clip and use it to line up hole on stationary part of switch. Just can't remeber if hole suppose to line up in neutral or park. Somebody may chime in - should be in a chilton manual - I know it's in a shop manual - which is a good investment - check out ebay - best prices.

I just did it yesterday, I did not have to drop the pan, but it does make it easier if you do lower the tranny. From what I remember, it has to be in park for it to line up if I remember correctly.

Ready? straight from the factory manual

1 Remove the trans linkage rod from the tranmission downshift lever

2 Remove the transmission downshift outer lever retaining nut and the lever.

3 Remove the two retaining bolts

4 Disconnect the two electrical connections, then remove the switch.

5 Install new switch with the bolts

6 With the transmission manual lever in neutral, rotate the switch and install a #43 drill bit into the gauge pin hole. The bit should go in the switch 31/64 in order to make sure the adjustment is correctly made. I wrapped the drill with tape when I did mine, made it easy to know how far it was in.

7 Tighten the attaching bolts and remove the drill

8 Install outer downshift lever and attaching nut. Install the downshift linkage rod to the downshift lever. Note on some years the rod may be a cable.

9 Correctly attach the wires to the switch, red to red, blue to blue. Verify operation BEFORE you try and drive the car.

10 Crack open a cold beer. :D