Neutral Sensing Switch/ngs Question!

Andrew Larsen

Jul 18, 2015
Hello!
My 92 5.0 has a code 67. What is a good way to test if a NSS is bad?
I do have an swapped Tremec 3550 transmission. Car originally had a t-5.

The code isn't causing any drivability issues. My car also lets me preform key on engine on diagnostic testing even though the code is present and I have CEL on the dash for it. Which I find strange because I thought 67 is suppose to stop you from being able to do a KOEO test...

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You may have a code 67 left over from some previous event or testing.

How to clear codes.
Clearing the codes by pressing a button on the scan tool or disconnecting the test jumper used to start the code dump does not erase the “learned settings”. All it does is erase the stored codes in memory.

You must clear the codes anytime you replace any sensor. The following tells you how and is different from the method above
Clear the computer codes by disconnecting the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Turn the headlights off and reconnect the all sensors including the MAF and anything else you may have disconnected. Then reconnect the battery negative cable.. This clears all spurious codes may have been generated while troubleshooting problems. It also clears the adaptive settings that the computer "learns" as it operates. Clearing the codes does not fix the code problems, it just gives you a clean slate to start recording what the computer sees happening.

Run the car for at least 30 minutes of driving and dump the codes again to assure that you have fixed the code problem or sensor problem. This is necessary for the computer to relearn the adaptive settings that the computer uses for proper operation. The engine may run rough at first, but should smooth out as it runs for the 15-20 minute learning period.

Andrew,

The NSS system consists of 2 switches wired in parallel. One is on you clutch pedal the other is on the transmission. Any time either is closed the computer thinks the car is in neutral. So if your clutch switch is working but the trans is not you could pull codes by pressing the clutch in and holding it.

You can test it by checking for resistance between pin 30 and 46 on your computer. We the clutch is pressed in or the trans is in neutral you should have almost no resistance. When the clutch is out or the car is in gear you should have a open circuit. If you don't want to pull the computer out there is a easier way to test. On the driver's side of your dash near the radio there should be a plug that was to be used for the NSS on a automatic. This plug has a blue/yellow wire and a gray/red wire in it. The blue/yellow goes to pin 30 and the gray/red goes to pin 46. You can clip meter leads to those connects and test from there.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd bet the NGS on top of the T-5 didn't get plugged into the 3550.

Run the test with the clutch pedal pressed in. If code 67 goes away, then I'd take a look at the plug in the trans tunnel and see if that got plugged in.