NEW RETROBUILT GT500KR-INPUT?

retrobuilt

Sep 21, 2007
OK guys, here we are with our next Retrobuilt Mustang. This is an actual 2007 GT500 retrofitted to look like the 1968 gt500. Again, we are looking for some constructive input from you folks just as we did on the RSC-GT car. This is our KR version, pushing 620HP at the rear wheels. These are in process pics, the front of the car is not complete but will have the mesh grill and a full chrome bumper just like the 1968 version and the rectangle fog lights. These are not the wheels we will be using so no need to comment on those. Please focus on the concept here and try to keep it constructive, we care what you think and want to produce a great car that fellow enthusiasts will like. Thanks, Tony:flag:

Attachments

• small 3-4front.jpg
    small 3-4front.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 544
  • Small rear shelby2.jpg
    Small rear shelby2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 385
  • Sponsors (?)

From the front, i like it looks awesome. The rear view does nothing for me at all.
The lights just dont seem to mesh at all and from the view they look to be recessed way to deep for my taste. A new set of lights that flow with the design/Era and bring em out a lil more and i think you would have a winner

Looks much better than the first concept you showed us. The color scheme really helps hide how big this car looks. I believe the rear treatment is a good design, but agree with 99Light about it beeing too deep. The rear lights look like your trying too hard, but I realize you're working with factory Ford fit. To me, the best way to pull off the tail lights is to have them molded into the trunk lid from side to side, but that would more than likely tick Ford off as far as warranty issues changing the wire routing. As far as having chrome bumpers, I'd have to see bigger pics and angles to give a true opinion. Overall I'd give this effort B+/A-.

Definitely better than the last concept you shows us. I don't like the taillights, though. I don't think it's so much that they're set in too deep, but they're too flush. The lights themselves are mounted at the correct depth, but don't stick out like they should. Also, not a fan of the dividers. They should look more like Cougar tails and be one long bar. I can see you're worried about the trunk, but forget about the trunk. This car is not going to be a daily driver for anyone. Just make the trunk open on top only, kind of like the Fox body notch backs. That way you can do the tail panel like it should be done. My only other gripe is the tailpipe/reverse light treatment. I would lose the tailpipes. Put some dumps or side exhaust on it. Then get ride of the holes for the tailpipes either with a skirt (like Cervini's) or new bumper (like BBR/Ronaele). Then you can position the reverse lights further down and out, and it'll flow better. Just my .02.

The beauty of the 68s to me was how they looked short and tough even though the length was actually fairly long, in my opinion, you should shorten the car just a bit at the rear end. The front looks great and can't wait to see a finished front end project but it seems that maybe you are trying just a bit too hard to make the back end and exact rather than a decent portrail of the original. Don't try so hard to make the lines quite so perfect on the rear end and you will have it.

I first noticed the front fender. The rise seems a bit high and could stand to be lower and less pronounced. I can't really see the rear "haunches, but subtlety is everything. Wheel lips look good. As in the '60's may I suggest small wheels not to exceed 17 or 18" with higher profile tires? Also, I would say paint the rocker moldings black to give the car a slimmer profile. Finally is there anything that can be done with the rear view mirror housing?

I like the front end and the headlight depth. Can't wait to see it with the bumper. Maybe thinner chrome around the tail lights?

How much will a car like this cost?

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback.

love the high hip rear quarter panels...would love those on my stang. the front looks to...bloated. maybe a few inches off the bottom of the front bumper would be nice. But what you have done with this car is phenomenal, a true transformation

Once we add the chrome front bumper to the car it doesn't look so bloated in the front. We have to bring the front valance down low enough to cover the AC condensor and intercooler. I think you'll like it better with the bumper on it, I'll post more pics as soon as I can get it on the car, Thanks, Tony

I think the front end has potential, but it has to be done tastefully. The rear COULD look nice, but right now it looks like a cartoon. Some moe time needs to be involved there.

It's very difficult to make a new car look old, and one of the key design elements is chrome. You did is right on the rear bumper, but screwed up the tail lights. It's all about balance. While I'd love to see a new mustang with 500 pounds of chrome like the old ones, it just wouldn't work on the S197. Find the balance, and you'll create an amazing car.:nice:

From the front, i like it looks awesome. The rear view does nothing for me at all.
The lights just dont seem to mesh at all and from the view they look to be recessed way to deep for my taste. A new set of lights that flow with the design/Era and bring em out a lil more and i think you would have a winner

I agree for the most part. The front looks awesome. I will be interested to see it with the bumper. The rear is recessed too deep though. Look closely at the original. The bumper was nowhere near as deep as yours. In addition, the taillights, quite frankly, look like a cobbled together mess. Have you considered using tailights from http://www.mustangproject.com? I would be interested to see the rear if it wasn't recessed as deep, had those taillights or something similar, and without the back up lights. However, I do like the hips on the rear quarters.