Not enough power... In 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
PJM99 said:
300 HP in a light bodied AWD car runs good. Stock to Stock the Cobra will catch on the high end. A few mods and the STI/EVO are pretty sick cars. Just like anything else if you build it the right way the engine should hold up. EVO and STI have taken down 03/04 Cobra and Vettes. They are pretty serious cars. I'm not into the whole ricer thing but I do respect those cars. You're basically getting a race car that handles great and is fast. Yeah it's a 4 banger with 300+ HP running in the high 12's low 13's. I wouldn't call them worthless.

Im sorry I thought you were serious as to compare those cars to a 03 Cobra which mind you is supercharged and has nearly 400hp TO THE WHEELS! I hope that you are talking about a 99-02 Cobra...

• Sponsors (?)

drummer said:
Displacement is not always necessary! The 4.6 has some of the most potential just look at some of these cobra guys getting over 700whp and some 800whp. The 4.6 is big in comparison to alot of these ricers getting over 200whp out of their 2.0 dohc honda S2000's. Ford's 4.6 has so much more potential and yes that 300hp is most likely 300whp on the 05(Plenty). You can get a hell alot more out of motors nowadays and we are a long way from the old pushrod, big displacement age(5.7ohv)..... Ford knew this. You just cannot get as much power out of a 2V pushrod (5.7LOHV vs 5.7LOHC)as you can with a OHC 3/4v design.... Proven! SO about the 4.6 being too small hahaha I guess the ricers think that their 240hp 2.0L's are BIG BLOCKS HAHAHA.

Those Cobras are boosted to hell. LS-series engines can put high 400's into the ground, N/A, EASY.

The modular engines definately COULD have more potential, but Ford stuck us with this lame ass 3.55" bore. So a stock displacement 2V is only going to do so much. Daily driveable N/A, you're going to have to pull out every trick in the book just to hang with stock/bolt-on LS1's. (This is in terms of power output, not ET's from all-out 2VNA drag cars)

For us 2V's, our only hope for big numbers is going with a big bore setup. Like I said earlier, the bore of the modular engine just plain sucks. Ford screwed up big time. Period. Shrouded valves = bad. I believe there was a thread over on Corral about a big bore 2V buildup. From what I can remember, it still had the plastic intake, mild head and cam work (equivalent to most company's stage 1 work I believe), even the factory H-pipe and still put down over 300RWHP. I'm curious as to how far (streetable) a big bore N/A 2V will go, as well as a 4V.

But as a general rule, N/A, the LS engines are going to be drawing lines way higher than us on the dyno graph. Makes me want to be on the other side of the fence sometimes (or have a built engine and a blower, or 03 Cobra :D). Oh well.

drummer said:
Im sorry I thought you were serious as to compare those cars to a 03 Cobra which mind you is supercharged and has nearly 400hp TO THE WHEELS! I hope that you are talking about a 99-02 Cobra...

He IS serious. A stock STi will run the quarter in 12.9 which is right about what the 03 Cobra will do it in. Add a few minor mods to the STi and it will beat a Cobra with ease, I have seen it myself at the track quite a few times. An Evo on the otherhand takes a tick over 13 seconds, it will take a Cobra off the line but the Cobra will catch and pass it around 75 mph. As with the STi, put some light mods on the Evo and it will beat a Cobra. Lets not even mention how badly the STi or Evo would destroy a Cobra on a road course when turning, downshifting and other REAL racing techniques come into play.

mball said:
He IS serious. A stock STi will run the quarter in 12.9 which is right about what the 03 Cobra will do it in. Add a few minor mods to the STi and it will beat a Cobra with ease,As with the STi, put some light mods on the Evo and it will beat a Cobra. Lets not even mention how badly the STi or Evo would destroy a Cobra on a road course when turning, downshifting and other REAL racing techniques come into play.

And let's not talk about the $40 pulley change to the cobra that will add a bunch of hp.

mball said:
He IS serious. A stock STi will run the quarter in 12.9 which is right about what the 03 Cobra will do it in. Add a few minor mods to the STi and it will beat a Cobra with ease, I have seen it myself at the track quite a few times. An Evo on the otherhand takes a tick over 13 seconds, it will take a Cobra off the line but the Cobra will catch and pass it around 75 mph. As with the STi, put some light mods on the Evo and it will beat a Cobra. Lets not even mention how badly the STi or Evo would destroy a Cobra on a road course when turning, downshifting and other REAL racing techniques come into play.
Thats funny, because STOCK 03 Cobra's are noted to run 12.5-12.6's. I've seen STOCK 03 Cobra's with STOCK tires run 12.5 at a local track on a hot day :shrug:

TomServo92 said:
On a recent "Horsepower TV" they dynoed an '03 Cobra with the pulley change and had something like 418HP at the rear wheels!.
Pulley and a tune, and they hardly spent any money. Where's that going to get you? High 11's if you can drive.

What ford needs to do is design a mod motor that wasnt engineered to be placed in a fwd car. That way they could squar it up a bit and make it more compact. Look at the new 4.4 volvo/yama v8 315/325 and I could probably slap it in my 65.

The 4.6 was just never meant to be in the classics, its sucks, but I dont think they should start changing dimensions over it, they should just perfect what they have.

Well you can also look at it from a different stand point, compare a 460 big block to the current 281 mod motor, the 4.6 will end up putting out more power per cube, and its a way more efficent engine than previous than earlier model mustangs. It's hard to deny that they are getting more and more power year time they modify, or rebuild the engine, because they are. Maybe it wasnt designed specifically to be a performance motor, but its turning out to be that way, I mean look at those FI cobra's putting out the 450rwhp with minor modifications. Supposdly 300hp on the 3v 4.6, and I say that, because it hasnt been dynoed yet, is a big leap into the performance direction, and I see no reason for them to change direction now, that could end up being disaster for Ford.

I dont disagree with you completely. Only that a "family" of engines isnt set in stone. Ford used to have the wind and the clev, the windsor turned into a great performance engine but the clev was supposed to the peformance engine. I see no reason why ford couldnt build another line of modular motors designed for performance cars. They seem to be playing with hi-po v10's and have a 140,000 performance car. Other performance cars from svt/shelby are on the way. Why not have specific engines for these cars? Volvo gets one....why not the cobra?

one2gamble said:
I dont disagree with you completely. Only that a "family" of engines isnt set in stone. Ford used to have the wind and the clev, the windsor turned into a great performance engine but the clev was supposed to the peformance engine. I see no reason why ford couldnt build another line of modular motors designed for performance cars. They seem to be playing with hi-po v10's and have a 140,000 performance car. Other performance cars from svt/shelby are on the way. Why not have specific engines for these cars? Volvo gets one....why not the cobra?
I totally agree with you, but all cobra's have gotten performance engines over the regular Mustang GT, and theres more speculation on the shelby and new SVT, infact they said that they are in the stages of still developing an engine, so we'll have to see what they to offer when that time comes around. Personally, I would love to see that they would have made an optional 5.4L for the GT and a mandatory 5.4L 4v in the cobra, or even a stroked/bored version :)

I agree with you guys that the Cobra is badass, and with mods, the only thing that will give it a run for its money at high speed is a modded Supra. But you still have to give the STi and Evo credit for doing what they can do, especially on a road course. I have seen STi's and Evo's embarrass cars with more then twice their hp on a road course because they are true "race" cars, not just quarter mile queens.

jadesville said:
True race cars? so quarter mile is not racing?

Not by my standards. A monkey could sit there, hold the wheel straight and mash the gas pedal to the finish line, there is no skill involved at all. Go race a few laps on a 1.5 mile road course where you have to think and have alot of racing and driving skills to win, thats REAL racing. Oh and by the way...dont take a Cobra unless you plan to fishtail and run off the road in your first turn :p

mball said:
Not by my standards. A monkey could sit there, hold the wheel straight and mash the gas pedal to the finish line, there is no skill involved at all. Go race a few laps on a 1.5 mile road course where you have to think and have alot of racing and driving skills to win, thats REAL racing. Oh and by the way...dont take a Cobra unless you plan to fishtail and run off the road in your first turn :p
Oh really? Well, let me know when you cut something lower than a 2.0 60', maybe you should tell John Force that he doesnt have any skill. Anyone can pick up a 6,000HP car and just drive it right? I've done both, im an amateur, and I see it, they both take skill.. Im sure you wouldnt know that though because im sure you knocked it before you even tried it.

The funny thing is, I said the SAME thing about circle track racing, until I got a chance to take a car around at 165mph. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.