notch drivetrain choices

Guilty93

Jul 22, 2009
marietta ga
ok so ive been pondering what drive train my new coupe is going to end up with. i keep buying parts and changing my mind. i only have a few parameters ie.. no 302 based engines no boost maaaaaybe a little shot. the car will be able to drive anywhere i want to drive it will stay full interior ac having car. and id like to realistically get at least 400 rwtq on pump gas/ e85.
im doing a tubular k member custom control arms on the rear it will most likely end up with draglites and et streets. ok have at it and give a reason why that is your choice

• Sponsors (?)

Why no boost??

My choice: 03-04 cobra motor with a pulley and a tune.
My reasoning: it's arguably the baddest Ford production motor of all time.

/thread :D

If you have to stay naturally aspirated, I'd go for a 408W, 410W, or 427W with AFR 225 heads, or maybe the new Fast as Cast TFS 195cc heads, custom cam grind, EFI, and a built C4 or TKO600... definitive badass n/a muscle.

If easy maintenance is something you're aiming for, the stroked W is probably the right idea. Any other options in this thread are going to lead to headaches. The Windsor will literally bolt in, accept factory-type EFI (you'll obviously have to upgrade the fuel system, but the basic geometry is reused), and the spark plugs will be just as easy to change as if it were the 302.

A mod motor would be cool. I'm shaking my finger at you LS people, old granny style.

the budget exist but my current little 330hp crap motor will do until i replace it. this car has been a 7 year fight to even find so its more like regardless of budget time isn't an issue so that negates the budget.... ofcourse that is dis proven by the ..... gt500 5.4 haha. oh yeah did i mention whatever the choice it will be carbed? i just like the symmetric nature of a carb. if it were a mod it would have to be a 4v and from my understanding that takes only slightly less space than say a 545 stroker (which is way more than im looking for lol) what was the factory hp rating on like a navi 5.4

oh yeah did i mention whatever the choice it will be carbed?

*falls to knees and raises hands to the sky*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if it were a mod it would have to be a 4v and from my understanding that takes only slightly less space than say a 545 stroker (which is way more than im looking for lol)

Amen to that. Mods are HUGE.

what was the factory hp rating on like a navi 5.4

I don't remember exactly, but I do know you wouldn't be doing yourself any good over your current "little 330hp crap motor", especially with no boost.

If I had the budget, I'd look into the all aluminum 351W based 427 stroker in last months issue of MM&FF. Uses a Dart block (which is the pricey part) and made over 600hp on an engine dyno.

All the power and displacement of a big block, but lighter than a stock 302HO. Bolt that into a Notch back with a a host of suspension mods and can you say watch out Z06? :hail2:

i have a few friends with 351-427 w's that went from fi to a carb and gained anywhere from 30-55 whp and their tq curves were quite a bit more flat. and if you have a wide band its SOOOOO easy to tune. not to mention the cost of huge mass air tb upper and lower injectors fuel rails...ect. i kinda wanted a carbed 4v just to make people mad. cause msd has that cam drive distributor and a victor for a 4.6 looks nice with it no need for a lifter valley cover. i mean i guess i could tap a victor for injectors and just get a c and L 90 eh then again... whats the point of a mod with no boost? im surprised i havnt seen a " dss 331 with an s trim" . oh and i figured id let you in on my dads suggestion "son why dont you just get a 427 cammer..." because a dual over head cam big block 427 they made like 600 of 40 years ago is an easy score...

I know you've already got your mind made up with the carb, but you should know...if your friends picked up 30-55rwhp by swapping from EFI to carb, its because they didn't build their EFI set up properly to start with. EFI will ALWAYS outperform a carb and run more efficiently with a broader torque curve.

I know you've already got your mind made up with the carb, but you should know...if your friends picked up 30-55rwhp by swapping from EFI to carb, its because they didn't build their EFI set up properly to start with. EFI will ALWAYS outperform a carb and run more efficiently with a broader torque curve.

LOL, efi will not always outperform a carb. efi is great for temp changes and alt. changes, but at the track its another story.
If they did not build their efi properly its because it costs too damn much.

im still going back and fourth between them. its reall a battle of form and function at this point but that is a non point cause im still like WTF and i gonna put either on. i just dont wanna get into the 90/90 fast or tweccer or any of that i see the valid points on both sides of the fence and if it were function for function it would be efi no question ive pretty much decided on a bottle fed 358 because of the f4te block sitting in my garage. and that whole only minor mods for the swap say i were to keep fi ill need a new lower right