Notch vs. GT Aerodynamics

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Jeeeeeez I just about hit a wall on the interstate around a bend!!! :eek:

I'm new to notches. I've notice the Notch doesn't like a windy day as much as the GT or even the convertible. You wanna talk about UNDERSTEER? I'm used to losing the rearend around corners, not fighting the front end at 80mph. :notnice:

Anyone else noticed this?

• Sponsors (?)

:D

I just had a thought... Maybe it's the 1993 Struts and Springs up front :shrug:

Also I've got an inner tie rod popping on the passenger side... Is it better to just replace the whole rack?

If you have the inner tie rod tool to do it, its not that bad, just time consuming. I dont know how much a whole rack goes for, but when i worked at the dealership, they charged 2 hours labor to replace an inner tie rod. if thats close to the price of a new rack, id just get a new rack.

Understeer at 80mph?!?! Um...what kind of bend are we talking about here? an exit ramp?! I think your rack/tie rod problem is causing you some serious issues because there is not much of a difference in the aero of a notch vs gt. And there certainly isnt a big difference in downforce if any or front end grip between the two.

Welcome to the world of owning a Box....uh, I mean Fox Mustang. Even though they're a little lighter than the later models, doesn't mean the poke as nice a hole through the air. Wait till you get her up over 120mph. That's when they like to dart back and forth and use up both sides of the road. :D

Understeer at 80mph?!?! Um...what kind of bend are we talking about here? an exit ramp?! I think your rack/tie rod problem is causing you some serious issues because there is not much of a difference in the aero of a notch vs gt. And there certainly isnt a big difference in downforce if any or front end grip between the two.

I've owned all of them and yes... There is. It may be my tie rods for the most part or something else... I dunno :shrug:

Welcome to the world of owning a Box....uh, I mean Fox Mustang. Even though they're a little lighter than the later models, doesn't mean the poke as nice a hole through the air. Wait till you get her up over 120mph. That's when they like to dart back and forth and use up both sides of the road. :D

:lol:

Also don't forget that the GT weighs a lot more... Don't mistake its weight stability for handling. The front end of these cars have the aerodynamics of a brick. Though the hatch should have slightly better either are far from good. I doubt that is your handling issue is due to aerodynamics.
Kevin

Also don't forget that the GT weighs a lot more... Don't mistake its weight stability for handling. The front end of these cars have the aerodynamics of a brick. Though the hatch should have slightly better either are far from good. I doubt that is your handling issue is due to aerodynamics.
Kevin

Well I guess i thought it was cause the wind was blowing pretty hard today. I'm gonna lower the car in the next week or two and see if that fixes it. Might be my 17x9's tracking or "hunting" as well :scratch:

The GT weighs very little more, maybe 150lbs. They just get 'extended bumpers', foglight/bracket/and potentially electric windows/power doors that really 'add' weight.

Many like to compare a notch with no air bag and no option, to a fully loaded GT from 93:shrug: Doesn't seem to fair to me...

I had read that the drag coefficient was best on the hatch by a very small margin:shrug:

I was under the impression that it was closer to 200-300 lbs. over the notch but I may be wrong. Either way almost all the weight on the GT is up front too over the front tires minus the difference in weight of the larger rear glass on the hatch.
Kevin

Wait.... someone's just discovered that Ford's Flying Brick platform isn't the road hugger you'd expect from a Formula One race car?.... what?

This is all news to me. :shrug:

Jeeeeeez I just about hit a wall on the interstate around a bend!!! :eek:

I'm new to notches. I've notice the Notch doesn't like a windy day as much as the GT or even the convertible. You wanna talk about UNDERSTEER? I'm used to losing the rearend around corners, not fighting the front end at 80mph. :notnice:

Anyone else noticed this?

Road was paved (noticed the Alabama thing)? Ever try that drifting thing they do in "Fast and Bi-curious", otherwise known as some good, old fashioned, Earnhardt-style throttle-steer? Stab the brakes, crank the wheel into the corner a bit, get into the pedal just enough to kick out the back end, wheel back into the slide, power through! On the interstate, shoot, kids will want your autograph! Its how we drive on snow covered roads half the year up here!:nice:

Honestly a notch is missing a big chunk of weight off the back b/c of the hatch/trunk differences and its obviously missing the 75 lbs off the front for the fog light bracket and bumper. I dont think their is a huge difference in balance between the two. I cant speak from experience b/c ive never driven a notch, but i cant imagine there's a big difference. Either way you really need to look into that suspension. My car is also rock steady in the triple digits.