Ok...What broke?? (clutch)

tuhockey11

Apr 7, 2003
PA
Just got a 92 GT a couple of days ago and the clutch pedal was nearly impossible to push down. Owner said it has a King Cobra clutch and they are always like that, I doubt that. I figured it was a cable going bad like on my 91 LX before I replaced it. Anyways, I was driving thar car around tonight and I go to downshift into 2nd at a light and BAM!!!, clutch pedal went about halfway down then popped loudly and went to the floor. Car stayed running in neutral, but obviously couldnt get it into any gear so had to get a tow home. Pedal does the same thing now, goes about halfway down, then pops and goes the rest of the way. Also makes a ratcheting sound when coming back up. Im not too familiar with these cars, what broke? Is it the cable, or something else? ANy opinions or experiences apprecaited. TIA

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on the quadrant. Look up underneath the dash and you'll see a white plastic piece at the top of the pedal. It probably stripped due to the excessive pedal pressure. Probably not the source of the hard pedal, but an aftereffect. I would guess that the throwout bearing is binding on the bearing retainer due to improper installation or not being replaced when the clutch was done. King Cobra clutches have a very low pedal effort, so the guy is full of crap.

Thanks guys, I figured it was the quadrant, it is the factory plastic piece. Questions now is, if that wasnt my problem, will a new one just break when I install it? Also, Ive installed a replacement calbe before and it was fairly simple, how bad is replacing the quadrant? Is there a write-up on it?

The new one you install won't be plastic and definitely wont break, the 1 piece metal replacements are much better and then you just use a firewall adjuster with it since the pedal won't self adjust anymore. I agree this is probably your problem.

TOB usually makes a chirpingish noise when you release or add pressure on it (ie mashing/letting out on clutch.) Your problem is most likely the quadrant*. An aftermarket quadrant won't break on you either. Don't even consider another stock plastic one for a second. And a OEM ford cable is the ONLY way to go. Get ya a aftermarket quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable and be done with it.

use the an oem cable or order one from maximum motorsports, they have a kit also. the job itself is pretty easy, removing the driver seat is a must. and youll need a breaker bar of some sort to connect the cable to the clutch fork.

use the an oem cable or order one from maximum motorsports..........

I agree with the cable recommendation.

FWIW, I have not had to pry anything to get a cable on or off. And if you're in an apartment complex or something, the seat coming out is nice but not necessary.

Good luck.

If it ever happens again, dont pay to have it towed, hope you didnt spend too much money. u can put the car in gear with the car off, then start the car, it will slowly start creaping forward and it will go and start. I did this with a 4 cylinder hatch a couple years ago and it saved a girl a ton of money. You will have to shut the car off when you need to stop but if your good and get your timing right, you can judge how slow/fast you need to go. You can easily shift without the cluthc as well, so you wont have to stay in first.