Plastic intake= garbage:mad:

Those intakes really were crap. I changed mine out first with another plastic one (with plastic crossover) and then changed to the aluminum crossover. Now that I have a Kenne Bell manifold, I've had a chance to really look at the plastic manifold with the aluminum crossover and honestly, I still think that they are crap. :notnice:

x2

My wifes cracked on her 03. I did a lot of searching on the net and really the later versions crack just like the non aluminum crossover versions. I think my 02 maybe cracked as well.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, sorry I didn't know we were supposed to feel sorry for you when YOU broke it. I doubt it was actually glued in place - more likely it was loctite or sealant of some sort.
YOU started the rant when you began bitching out Ford for it's decision to make a plastic intake. Realize that Ford is not the only major auto maker that is using plastic intakes.
And you were installing those cheap ass SunPro gauges and complaining about them...? LOL - what'd you pay for 'em? $30? You pay sh1t you get sh1t. Not such a 'great idea' after all was it? Oh and did you use sealant when you reinstalled that temp sensor? That was probably your issue. If you had used sealant you wouldn't have had a leak or threw a code and wouldn't have had to crank on it so hard that you friggin broke it...
Damn dude I broke it, thanks for stating the obvious, my turn, grass is green, tires are round, mirrors reflect, NEXT!

Wow, dude sounds like someone overpays for things just cause someone says there are the greatest:rlaugh:, Yea, I reapeat I know I broke it:nonono:, damn i feel like freakin cockato:mad:o. I am just stating that the desighn isn't the best in the world and the Temp sensor bushing shouldn't exist at all:notnice:, and by the way all of my SUNPRO gauges work great, lights and all:nice::D, and I figured how to make the temp gauge work with what they gave me:D. Not bad for 30 bucks,:mad: huh?! OK the purpose for the thread is so new comers will say, heh, maybe it could happen to me, I don't really need sympathy, I am a grown man, worse could and will happen. Oh yea, you can pay **** and get somthing that last a lifetime, youngun.:Zip2: Hahahah:rlaugh:, I've seen other posts venting, but none with the response like this one:lol:, way to jump on somone collectively:nice:, still funny though:D.

Accually the plastic Intake Manifolds are the best performing ones. Without Nitrous or Supercharger. With bolt ons they out perform Trickflow, Profession Products, Fox Lake's P-51 Intake, and the Edlebrook Victor. They may be plastic, and they may crack, but your the one who made the mistake of breaking it. Live and Learn man thats all you can do. Bitching and crying isnt going to make time go back.

But if its any consolation....sorry to hear that

Right, you can put twin turbos on a Ford Pinto, dosn't it just make it fast garbage.:lol::rlaugh::D FYI the coolant rusted the temp sensor, so it would have cracked anyway if I had to change it.

im still driving on a cracked intake....and i have boost :nice:

trombonedemon, i found a used PI intake with injectors included for $80 on ebay a while back and i bought it to replace mine...ive just been lazy in the replacing the cracked one...thank god for a DD

anyway i kinda skimmed through the post after people started hating on you so i don't know if you tried looking for one on there or anything but there were a few other used ones on there for around 70 or so...might save you a few bucks if you go that route...the one i got was in really good shape...im sure you could probably get one in pretty good condition...

oh and before everyone starts yelling at me for driving on a cracked intake, i hardly drive the car...probably took it out MAYBE 5 times in the past 2 months...and its a very small crack and im leaking only a tad bit of coolant.... :D

I feel for you and too believe that Ford really blew it when they use hard plastic parts to move hot antifreeze. I believe the cost cutters at Ford are to blame, not necessarily the engineers. Ford didn't admit to their being an issue till they got taken to court and settled on an "extended" warranty and reimbursement for all their customers that had it crack on them (for a limited time period). I have a PI intake with alum crossover on my stang and wouldn't trust the all plastic version going around the corner.

In addition to this, I just helped (last week) diagnose and fix my sister's 2000 Focus that had a crack in the crossover "Y" tube that carries antifreeze across the top of the radiator. Suprise! Weight and cost savings make sense elswhere, NOT where extreme heat and time can take it's toll. A $25 part shouldn't be the source of a disabled vehicle.

Now, let's see a pic of those gauges.

First off its composite, whatever ya the ones with the aluminum x-over is the best way to fix it. As it was stated the all aluminum one is so expensive compared to plastic, THINKS Ford for passing the SAVINGS on to us. Don't you think that if they originally built and put an aluminum intake on there we would have this problem? No, but on the other hand they wouldn't performe well, so a performance intake would be twice as much, like $920 if the aluminum 1 is 460 now. Also heat soke is not a myth, air moves through a heatr core and gets hot, why wouldn't air moving through a hot intake runner get hot before it got into the cylinder, gah duh genious, and next time you drive touch the plastic then drive one with the aluminum 1 see which you can hold Your hand on the longest
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure, I'll show you the pic on the gauges:nice:,after I swap out the intake:p, but, if I am going to take a pic, I need to do a better job hiding the wires, yea they were cheap:rolleyes:, but, they work, Don't want to add oil pressure gauge, need to more research before I screw somthing else up:eek:, don't want to screw with the sensor quite yet, instead I swapped out for the vacum/psi with volt meter and water temp. Wish me luck on the intake swap:nice:. Any advice from anyone.:hail2:Stangnet.

First off its composite, whatever ya the ones with the aluminum x-over is the best way to fix it. As it was stated the all aluminum one is so expensive compared to plastic, THINKS Ford for passing the SAVINGS on to us. Don't you think that if they originally built and put an aluminum intake on there we would have this problem? No, but on the other hand they wouldn't performe well, so a performance intake would be twice as much, like $920 if the aluminum 1 is 460 now. Also heat soke is not a myth, air moves through a heatr core and gets hot, why wouldn't air moving through a hot intake runner get hot before it got into the cylinder, gah duh genious, and next time you drive touch the plastic then drive one with the aluminum 1 see which you can hold Your hand on the longest
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you serious:nonono:, its not like the tube is 85 feet of tubing in a house, it takes a long length of tubing to actually have time to heat up the air when its moving that fast, and it moves really fast, try taking your and put it on the Cai with the throttle open, damn near suck your hand in, if the air was slower, much like a wisper,than yea, then it would maybe heat up,faster the air travels the colder it will get, unless the source of the air is heated, and it still will cool down consierably even with an outside heat source, Heat soak is a myth unless the air is dormant, and yea alluminum is more costly than plastic or composite as you gracefully put it, but, plastic is a.k.a. a money saver and not neccesarily lighter, but heat and pressure does take its toll on an oil based product, much like microwavable plastic, its eventually going to morph, plus the mustang gt is produced much like the honda civic, one its very easily upgradable, and two straight off an assembley line, thanks to Mr. Henry, so I guess I'm not suprised about this manifold b/c it speeds up the process on the assembly by them hiring more workers, and probaly saving money, but ford sometimes forget about the consumer, they need test the piss out of there automobiles, instead of just to the Federal guidelines. Hmmmph.:mad:

mk i guess you dont get it, heres food for thought. 97* outside, your coolant temp is 200* roughly, engine temp is around 285* to 300*, so the air charge is already 97* once it passes through the intake whether its aluminum or cast iron or plastic. now i know and we all should that aluminum gets hotter faster because it disepates heat rellatively quicker than iron or steel. now if your engines 250* so is your intake it doesnt matter how fast air moves, the elemants around it will effect it, hot and cold climates for example. dont know how old you are or ever messed with older carbed engines that had the HEAT exchange runner that went through the middle of the intake, perpandicular to the length of the engine. wait a minute im makin a point here, that heat exchange was to help heat the intake up quicker so the AIR CHARGE that went through intake runners was WARM so the choke would opperate properly. now heat soke would settle in and then it would be one of the causes for vapor lock in a porley manneged engine. i know injected engines dont vapor lock but the ambiant air temp moving through an metal intake is higher than air moving through a composite intake, thus with a cooler air charge the engine will make more power, thats what the geniouses at for did they made our ponys make more ponys. oh and i was talking a heater core as in your car, dopy. hoe much air do you think the heater fan in the dash pushes, i think quit a bit, dont you?

Some classic and long debated arguments:
-will the helicopter take off?
-does air pick up or lose heat as it passes through a tube of metal/plastic/whatever?
-where the flying squirrel that I let go went to?
-auto vs manual
-what oil?
-what gears?
-brunettes, redheads, or blondes?
-what is rice?
-does kilgore ever know wtf he is talking about?

et-f'n-cetera...

-does air pick up or lose heat as it passes through a tube of metal/plastic/whatever?
-auto vs manual
-what oil?
-what gears?
-what is rice?

et-f'n-cetera...

wow we 2nd on the top9:D

-auto vs manual
-what oil?
-what gears?
-what is rice?

et-f'n-cetera...

LOL - I may take a shot or two at Kilgore from time to time, and we don't always see eye to eye, but damn he cracks me up...Good stuff! :lol:

it don't take an engineer or a genius to design a car from start, just basic know how.

Are you serious:nonono:, its not like the tube is 85 feet of tubing in a house, it takes a long length of tubing to actually have time to heat up the air when its moving that fast, and it moves really fast, try taking your and put it on the Cai with the throttle open, damn near suck your hand in, if the air was slower, much like a wisper,than yea, then it would maybe heat up,faster the air travels the colder it will get, unless the source of the air is heated, and it still will cool down consierably even with an outside heat source, Heat soak is a myth unless the air is dormant,

I'm sure anyone who would make bold statements like these would have a basic working knowledge of fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Especially concepts such at the Renyolds and Prandtl numbers that are so critical when estimating the heat transfer characteristics within an intake manifold. Anyone with some 'basic know how' should be able to understand the general mechanisms of unsteady turbulent flows......oh wait.....I guess that's where the engineers come in. Good thing the engineers are around or all of the air conditioners and heaters in the world would start following trombone's logic and magically stop working because the air is moving to fast.
:dead:
That is all. :D

:lol:You guys are too funny, I find some stuff to laugh about every time I read a thread:D. Evidently this problem is more common then one would think:nonono:. Yea, who sees eye to eye about cars:nono:. Thats what makes us guys, I think I can smell the testostorone comin' from the computer everytime I log in:rlaugh:. I must have read that guy who touched the electric fence with lawnmower 20 times. :rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::hail2:stangnet

I'm agreeing with Trombonedemon - heat soaking the air moving thru the inlet tract is an internet myth. Metalli485 and fast97gt how long do you think it takes for a cubic liter of air to travel from the air cleaner to the combustion chambers...even at idle? About 1/10th of one second. Do the math.
Now if the source air is hot, then obviously your intake charge of air will be hot...and that does matter when you are trying to make more power. Cooler air is denser, with more oxygen molecules per measured amount of air. This is the idea behind a COLD air intake. To be most effective, the air filter would have to be out of the engine compartment. Some companies 'solved' this issue by putting the air filter in the fender. However, in doing so, they also created more turns in the intake tract and, in theory, caused turbulence and metering issues with the MAF meter. So to each his own on what kind of CAI works for you. If you can get an 'in the fender' setup to work for you, it should be the most effective setup. Realize however that the extra amount of power you'd potentially get from a CAI is still minimal. But for some of us, every HP adds up.
But regardless of the incoming air temp, it's simply not going to absorb much heat while taking this short trip from air cleaner to combustion chamber.

-auto vs manual
-what oil?
-what gears?
-what is rice?

et-f'n-cetera...

H or X pipe?? Longtubes or shortys? :shrug: :D

First of all, you are not an engineer. You know nothing of the actual reasons behind choosing plastic, so don't critize ford for making a decision that you are completely un-educated about.

But I AM an engineer and can tell you that to sole reasoning behind using a plastic intake was cost. The 01 Bullitt's used a MUCH more efficient metal intake. Why wasn't that implemented on all 99-04 GT's? Because of cost.

But I AM an engineer and can tell you that to sole reasoning behind using a plastic intake was cost. The 01 Bullitt's used a MUCH more efficient metal intake. Why wasn't that implemented on all 99-04 GT's? Because of cost.

Then you should know that is wasn't "MUCH more efficient" at all. Unless you consider 5 HP "MUCH more efficient". Sure the reasoning to go with plastic was cost, but the Bullitt's intake was certainly not some magical manifold.

BUT THE AIR STILL ABSORBS WHATEVER CLIMATE IS STILL AROUND IT (HOT, COLD WHATEVER) may not be much but it still absorbs it.

Never denied that. I just said it is a very, very, very minor factor.