Possibly a differnt T5 swap problem?

tweet66

Founding Member
May 19, 2001
Pennsauken, NJ
Does anyone ahve photos of a 93 and earlier and a 04 T5? I've run into a problem with my swap using a 94 T5. I believe the spedo gear is in a different location between the years and I swapped over the reluctor for the speedo to a gear but it doesn't look like the cable gear is going to fit. I'm looking for close up pics of both years near the cable attachment to verify. If it is different, any suggestions, besides using the earlier trans:p I got two p4 V8 T5's for free, would hate to waste them:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

SWAP

The 04 speedo only uses a reluctor sensor and it mounts in the speedo boss on the driver’s side of the tail housing near the main case.

The 93 just uses a 7 gear yellow speedo in the traditional spot and connects on the driver's side also.

If you are going into a 04 swap the tail housings as log as you were able to mount the reluctor wheel on the 94 mainshaft. I forget how that all goes together at the moment. I think the reluctor wheel has its own boss.

The 04's came with TR3650 transmission, not T5. I believe around 96 they started using T45's until mid year 01 when they switched to the Tremec TR3650. It shouldn't be a T5 if it came from an 04.

Rusty, it is from a V6 and since they have the same torque capacity as the V8, and they were free, I figured what the heck....

Glen's, two questions. Is there an electronic speedo that'll work with the reluctor and do you have an exploded view or picture of a 93 or earlier T5 so I can figure out the speedo boss location to compare to the 94? i have some series 1 VDO guages in the car now. If they make a speedo that'll work with the reluctor I'll go that route.

You've got me confused here. Do you have a 94 T5 or an 04 ? I just did a rear gear swap on a 94 Stang and it had the older speedo gear but had a manual trans speedo gear driving the speed sensor. The drive and drivien gears were the same as the older models, only difference was the speedo sensor replacing the cable.

Rusty, it is from a V6 and since they have the same torque capacity as the V8, and they were free, I figured what the heck....

Glen's, two questions. Is there an electronic speedo that'll work with the reluctor and do you have an exploded view or picture of a 93 or earlier T5 so I can figure out the speedo boss location to compare to the 94? i have some series 1 VDO guages in the car now. If they make a speedo that'll work with the reluctor I'll go that route.

Do a google on any Tremec site. they have the T5 manual on pdf and a free download. It stops around the 93 model so the 04 reluctor is not in it. Are you putting an 94 into an 04 right. Do you have the 04 tailhousting and the ruluctor from the 04 T5?

Sorry if this came across somewhat confusing. I'm putting, what I was told. is a 1994 V6 T5 trans into a 66 Mustang coupe.

D.Hearne, the speedo location is closer to the main body of the trans and only has a magnetic speedometer sensor in the "cable" hole. There is no cable driven speed sensor. Internally the reluctor is the only thing there.

Glen's, I found that site and some stuff on Fordmuscle about the T5 but they all show the cable location almost under the shifter.

D.H. is correct. The 94 only had the old style 7 tooth yellow gear on the mainshaft. The sensor for the ECM and cable mounts on the driver's side. Do you have a Pic of the tranny you have with the speedo hole showing?

Putting a 94 into a 66 usally requires changing the input/4th gear to a 87-93 style and bearing retainer and using the same year bellhousing. The 94-99 and the later style 3.8 put the clutch fork right at the exhaust pipe on the early cars.

I'll get a pic this afternoon and the tag number. I may be newer then 94:eek: With the Flowtech headers I have on there now The clutch fork actually comes out below the collector. I was going to go with a cable setup but decided to go hydraulic, which will work better since the clutch cable hole is right near one of the header tubes.