Radiator with electric fan best?

Summit(Northern brand) universal 2 row aluminum with Taurus fan

Great thread; same boat here too. What year Taurus E-fan, or does it matter? I think most are 2-speed....Do you run a relay for the speed control or have it wired to run high-speed only?

Thanks and sorry to hijack but i hope this helps the TS too.

• Sponsors (?)

Great thread; same boat here too. What year Taurus E-fan, or does it matter? I think most are 2-speed....Do you run a relay for the speed control or have it wired to run high-speed only?

Thanks and sorry to hijack but i hope this helps the TS too.
I just use a single relay for high speed only. The motors are the same, but the shroud will change as well as the blade deisgn depending on the year.I think mine is from a 93.As many issues as i was having with heat, i didnt waste my time with a low speed setting.

i put the shroud back on

I put my shroud back on yesterday and went to town in the hottest part of the day. I also closed off the big gap I had at the top between radiator and core mount. I don’t know exactly what the temp was in town but a waitress said it was 108. I don’t think the official was that high, official was 101 at the airport but believe me it was hotter than 101 on that concrete. So I would say safely 104.

I did good on the road, about 175 going to town on the road with a/c on high and 185 coming back. In town though in traffic or at a light it got to 200 and I turned a/c off. There is obviously still not enough air thru the rad even with the shroud. So I think the next step is an electric fan in place of the current mechanical. Now the question is which one? I prefer not to dig thru the junk yards to buy a taurus fan that may be bad when I get it home if there is a good new one of some type out there that I can buy.

It cooled off very quickly once i started moving again even just 15 mph.

My biggest problem was starting the car I think I had a bad case of heat soak.

If a junk yard unit doesn't look or smell torched and spins smoothly, it is likely still fine, but I can understand your apprehension. At the very least, a trip to the bone yard would be good for taking measurements, etc, to determine the year/engine size Taurus that will best suit your needs, not to mention, a cheap junk yard piece would make a good test part for experimentation for trimming/mounting as opposed to randomly cutting up/modifying a new one. Remember that teh recommended alternator and wiring upgrades mentioned are not merely a good suggestion but an ABSOLUTE MUST when installing one of these fans. New Taurus fans are available fairly cheap, but a used OEM unit may likely have better longevity than an aftermarket replacement part. Also you could get a junk yard fan and then replace the fan motor after properly modding the shroud, saving you a few $$.
My $.02,
Gene

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...312&_nkw=taurus+fan&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Or pull a search for 'Tauras fan'. Look for the fans that have a square shroud rather than the wedge shaped shrouds. I can't speak from experience but with the measurements given the square shroud is the closest to fitting the rad Iskwezm linked. The fan measures 17 X 22 X 5 and can easily be trimmed. Read the ebay add for the radiator linked below...they give some good tech to drive the sale. Got my $200 for one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...s=Year:1965|Model:Mustang&hash=item4aad6944ff

those lincoln fans are way too noisy when running at full speed. they pull over 40 amps too. some of them lack low speed because fan speed is controlled by ECU.

The fan controller/ECU isn't necessary but it has built in heavy duty relays. The Lincoln fan take a lot of juice on startup, up to 70A. Running load on it is like 40A. Its a noisy bastard but it pulls more CFM then any other fan you can easily get your hands on. The Taurus fan doesn't pull quite the CFM but also doesn't have such insane amperage usage when going from LR to RL.

I use a Summit House Brand (Northern) radiator with a Derale #16926 Electric fan on my 66. Ive driven the car in stop and go traffic during the summer in the Sacramento Area ( 20-30 mins of stop and go @ 90*-110*) and never had a problem.

I did install an adjustable electronic thermostat to turn the fan on and off along with a 110 Amp alternator to run the fan.

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A WAY TO MOUNT THE FAN MORE SECURELY THAN WITH THE ZIP TIES IT COMES WITH.

That is the only complaint I have with my set up.