Rust on shock towers

pile_53574

May 1, 2005
SW WI
So we picked up an 88 GT for a good price, only place where i could find rust was under the hatch (surface rust) and shock towers. This was a little more than surface rust, but not rust all the way through. Question is I know this is a PIA to fix but how much of a PIA is it, extreme would be to cut out old and put in new, but is there an easier way to fix???

• Sponsors (?)

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
If you can do it yourself, it'll cost you the price of the metal you're patching in. I would imagine a body/frame shop would charge an arm and a leg. I'd guess close to a grand for a shop to do the work, but it would be purely guesswork on my part.

sonny9150

Aug 19, 2008
Maryland
I spoke to CJ Pony about this in Harrisburg PA, they said it costs about $1500 to do the work. The cost comes from pulling the motor.

I decided to take it on myself. Hire a buddy to help me pull the motor and saw away and weld. The project will begin next year.

1slo5ohh

Jan 25, 2009
Maryland
yea i just got done pullin the motor and droppin the k member to get at mine ... mine is pretty bad through. but definitely cheaper to do it myself (im a machinist and have connections on metal for cheap) just got to get my buddy to weld cuz i cant weld for anything lol

LiquidGT

Oct 8, 2007
Near STL hell
I have the same problem, I entertained the idea of finding a donor strut towers or another front clip; but that idea was a bust. Every fox in the junkyard was there because of horribly rotten strut towers, the rest of the body on those cars was un-wrecked and fine. I'm thinking of doing a 4 cyl body swap, if I can find a good one; I already have V8 suspension/drivetrain parts laying around, I just need the engine, rack, and misc. out of my car.

I looked on the LRS site and they have replacement framerail/tower/fender aprons for the 99-04 cars, but none for foxes... obsolete. :( If someone brought that part back for foxes they would make a killing.

1slo5ohh

Jan 25, 2009
Maryland
I have the same problem, I entertained the idea of finding a donor strut towers or another front clip; but that idea was a bust. Every fox in the junkyard was there because of horribly rotten strut towers, the rest of the body on those cars was un-wrecked and fine. I'm thinking of doing a 4 cyl body swap, if I can find a good one; I already have V8 suspension/drivetrain parts laying around, I just need the engine, rack, and misc. out of my car.

I looked on the LRS site and they have replacement framerail/tower/fender aprons for the 99-04 cars, but none for foxes... obsolete. :( If someone brought that part back for foxes they would make a killing.
would definitely make my life easier lol