slow90coupe's NOTCH BUILD THREAD!!!

to do a stroker right the way i would want it, it would end up costing 2500. and i would still be well under 400rwhp. i may get 40 more hp, but still not worth it. and id want a fordstrokers motor. i dont trust myself to build one. so, yea it would end up costing me out the ass. you got a deal in yours. i have been searching corral but didnt find any good deal.

on another note, my motor has been rebuilt before!!! the shell only has 80k on it, and the rednecks that used to have the car told me the motor had 40k on it, maybe they told me the truth! and the motor has aftermarket pistons it looks like!

Where do you get this info from? I know many people in the 400-450rwhp range on N/A 331-347 Kits. Buy a cheap rotating assembly. Forget the forged stuff on an N/A build, only thing you should get is forged pistons. These kits are $400-$600 Used, new for $819, and used is not a bad way to go if you inspect the parts. Next, use your block and take it to a machine shop, they will need to do the clearancing for everything and might as well do everything else too. My machine shop charges me $110, for boring of the cylinders, clearance of the rods, bearings etc. He hooks me up by also doing the heads and checking PTV and the rest of the top end stuff. For the price and hassle its easier to drop it off and have him do it. Have i assembled motors before, of course. But i know what is involved and would rather spend that time prepping the car while they make sure everything is in order.

Next, get a custom grind, cams from FTI for example are only $325, thats $25 more than what a shelf cam would cost from anyone else. And thats the thing that will set your build apart from the other 320hp 331's.

Do this and you can have a complete engine for considerably less than what you thought.

• Sponsors (?)

Where do you get this info from? I know many people in the 400-450rwhp range on N/A 331-347 Kits. Buy a cheap rotating assembly. Forget the forged stuff on an N/A build, only thing you should get is forged pistons. These kits are $400-$600 Used, new for $819, and used is not a bad way to go if you inspect the parts. Next, use your block and take it to a machine shop, they will need to do the clearancing for everything and might as well do everything else too. My machine shop charges me $110, for boring of the cylinders, clearance of the rods, bearings etc. He hooks me up by also doing the heads and checking PTV and the rest of the top end stuff. For the price and hassle its easier to drop it off and have him do it. Have i assembled motors before, of course. But i know what is involved and would rather spend that time prepping the car while they make sure everything is in order.

Next, get a custom grind, cams from FTI for example are only $325, thats $25 more than what a shelf cam would cost from anyone else. And thats the thing that will set your build apart from the other 320hp 331's.

Do this and you can have a complete engine for considerably less than what you thought.

:Word:

wow. thanks for all the info man :flag: well, i have an extra 302 block laying around... i think i will do a stroker down the road. when i get in auto tech at school i can get parts at about 1/2 price at our local parts store. they also have an amazing machine shop out back. thats what ill do!!! but, i wanna see what i can do with the stock bottom end first. shoot, im even thinkin about selling the car after i get the motor back in it. ill jsut have to see if i like driving the car a lot and then decide what ill do.

this weekends progress...
yesterday i spent about the entire day screwing around with the F***ing gas tank. i must have put it in and then took the tank out at least 10 times before i got it in there perfectly. the repro tank was NOT an exact replica. i had to do some modding and trimming to get it even close to fitting right. but, its in now...
coupe705.jpg

coupe706.jpg

the last time i did a fuel pump i polished my straps... this time i painted them. i like this better
coupe707.jpg

mocked up my entire intake
coupe709.jpg

fun fun fun!!! did my first ever spring removal. i think i got really lucky i didnt hurt myself. those springs did not wanna come out of their 20 year resting place. they had so much compressed energy that when they finally let go they lifted the whole front end off of the lift. scared the crap out of me!
coupe718.jpg

coupe719.jpg

coupe722.jpg

painted the inner fender area
coupe734.jpg

coupe727.jpg

slowly getting there!!!

Looking great!
After all of that hard work you've put into it.....no way should you sell it! Plus I think after you start driving it, you'll change your mine.

I'll be changing my tank soon, was that the 5.0 Resto replacement tank or the Aeromotive brand tank?
Was it just the overall size that was off or where the fuel pump and sending unit mount?

Might be better off paying a few extra bucks for one that fits better.

And yeah...gotta watch those springs!

Looking great!
After all of that hard work you've put into it.....no way should you sell it! Plus I think after you start driving it, you'll change your mine.

I'll be changing my tank soon, was that the 5.0 Resto replacement tank or the Aeromotive brand tank?
Was it just the overall size that was off or where the fuel pump and sending unit mount?

Might be better off paying a few extra bucks for one that fits better.

And yeah...gotta watch those springs!

thanks man. i hope that ill come to my senses later on. it was the 50resto replacement tank. i had trouble with getting the pump to fit inside the tank first. the mounting tabs were not right. after i fixed that, it wouldnt fit up in the provisions on the underside of the car. but i finally got it right!!!

thats some nice work, im definitly jealous, when i was 14 i thought i was hot **** cause i could afford a profile 3 piece crank for my BMX bike lol.

The stock springs do suck, i almost killed myself taking myne out too, i had the story in my progress thread i think. Also, i would reccomend ditching those 12" 250 springs you had in those pictures and get a set of either 12" 150's or 12" 175's. 225 pounders is going to be a rough ride. I have 14-175's and they are pretty stiff. Im making the switch to 12" 150's soon though

I dont think 250's are too bad for the street, definitely not a drag spring, but thats about the rating i have on the 07 and they arent too bad. Maybe im just getting used to the 550's on the 87 :shrug:

That 07 also weights alot more than a fox, personally, i wouldnt want more than a 175 on my car, the car still does pretty well on on/off ramps with that spring rate too. Its definitly not sloppy in any way, even with my struts all the way loose

well ive had a fever and flu-like symptoms since monday so i didnt even look at the car until today. i just decided to go out there and start working through the pain. i started feeling better!! so, i got a little bit accomplished today.

painted the engine bay!!!
coupe765.jpg

coupe759.jpg

coupe756.jpg

coupe755.jpg

coupe750.jpg

coupe746.jpg

sticking with the stock k-member too unfortunately :(
coupe748.jpg

got new balljoints
coupe744.jpg

got my control arms and spindles put back on
coupe760.jpg

assembled my coilovers
coupe761.jpg

i should be getting some MM C/C plates for christmas!!! so ill get them on and get the car back on the ground!!!! i cant wait!

Man, that engine compartment looks great!!! Whole project is fantastic, wanna come to Texas and work on mine?..lol. Very impressive for such a young man. Keep up the good work!

thanks!!

w0rked some more today
got some CC plates for christmas!!!
coupe770.jpg

coupe769.jpg

put on my coilovers, struts, and all my front end crap
coupe768.jpg

coupe767.jpg

she hit the ground for the first time in a month or so. i left it there to give te lift a break for a night or 2..
coupe772.jpg

put on my fender, alignment could be better but ill mess with it tomorrow some more
coupe785.jpg

pretty low for still not having a motor! how much lower do you think it will go with full weight?
coupe783.jpg

started refilling the engine bay :)
coupe788.jpg

coupe792.jpg

thanks everybody!

today i worked on wiring everything back up...
coupe808.jpg

coupe811.jpg

coupe812.jpg

coupe836.jpg

coupe834.jpg

played with the coilovers today. i love the front stance!! now i gotta get the rear lowered a lot more. guess ill just cut my extra set of springs

coupe813.jpg

coupe814.jpg

coupe816.jpg

almost perfect for my taste

coupe817.jpg

coupe825.jpg

coupe827.jpg

Then i got my fender aligned. i think i got it as good as i can get it.
i also raised it back up to a drivable stance. befor i couldnt even clear the lift!!

coupe830.jpg

coupe831.jpg

coupe832.jpg