Sound Clip - 05 Mustang with JBA long tubes

• Sponsors (?)

So I was checkin out the JBA site and I saw their new "cat 4-ward" headers that are "smog legal". So does this mean if I stick a set of long tube headers on my stang it wont pass inspection?

Unfortunately it does - at least in California. The 05 GT has two cats right off the factory manifolds. The shorty's allow you to install the headers with changing the h-pipe. The long tubes require the removal of the stock cats just like most late model Mustangs.

h0tr0d said:
Unfortunately it does - at least in California. The 05 GT has two cats right off the factory manifolds. The shorty's allow you to install the headers with changing the h-pipe. The long tubes require the removal of the stock cats just like most late model Mustangs.

What kinda of HP gains can we expect with a complete system, As install on the SEMA car? (-the supercharger).??

The full long tube system is probably going to be worth 25+ maybe more given the improvements over the stock "logs". The long merge collector is really going to open it up on the top end. As more ECU tuning and aftermarket upgrades come available there will be even more to gain. With the blowers from Vortech and Whipple who knows....35+ is pretty common with a good complete exhaust with headers.

There isn't going to be much improvement in going to larger exhaust systems. The stock 2.5" system is really straight and there are only two small cats. 3" is going to be too big for the 4.6 Swapping out the axle back set up to a higher flowing and better sounding set up will add some ponies and make it more fun to drive. That's killer because the axle back systems are going to be like $300 and by the looks of it we should be able to install them in the driveway.

I was gonna say that it was cammed too, but then I re-listened to the clip. It sounds kjinda loopey for a couple seconds after it is revved, but then smoothes out to a more stock sounding idle.

I've been hearing that this car has VVT...is this true? if so, the "cammed" sound could be a result of the VVT adjusting back to idle :shrug:

There is actually a lot in the factory tuning to minimize emmissions and excessive wear on the motor when the car is not moving. Some of that is apparent in the infamous "hangin' rev" and so on. On JBA's car the supercharger and o/r exhaust make for a killer sound combination with the new engine.