Starting my winter build!

BennyBlown2v

Dec 9, 2004
Carmel, INdiana
Well I'm pretty excited - I ordered a buncha parts last week and stuff has started to arrive and I'm getting anxious to put it all in hehe. :nice:

So far we have:

03/04 cobra T56 (total swap, everything needed)
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter for T56 (on order)
03/04 cobra aluminum driveshaft
03/04 cobra gas tank and dual pump hat (I really need those baffles for turning hehe)
Twin SVT Focus fuel pumps (I don't need any more than that, and I got them for $75 LOL so that saves me upgrading the FPDM if I went with GT pumps)
AFS 03/04 cobra replica wheels with black cutouts 17x9 and 17x10.5 (SO ****ING SWEET!)
FRPP HD TOB
GI Joe 8-rib kit for the blower (on order)

...and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff!

I'm trying to find a used 03/04 cobra shortblock and drop new pistons in it, or I'm gonna just buy a rod/piston kit and either assemble it myself with help from friends or pay and have it done somewhere. Once I figure out my shortblock I'll probably have the heads ported if I can get a good enough deal on it, or just upgraded valve springs and blower cams. I think I'm going to run Nitto NT01 tires on the AFS wheels - I would like to run the 555RII's but they don't make them any bigger than 275 in 17's. Also while the car is down I'm gonna pull apart the IRS and put new bearings in everywhere, as well as rebuild the diff and upgrade to aluminum diff bushings (if budget allows at that time). I'm shooting for 500-550rwhp out of this build when all is said and done to just max out my 42lb injectors.

Snapped some pics of some of the parts sitting in the garage lol.

100_0467.JPG

Almost 12" overall width SWEET!

100_0468.JPG

17's yo!

100_0470.JPG

Rollin' :D

100_0471.JPG

Low mileage aluminum 03/04 cobra driveshaft.

100_0472.JPG

Two SVT Focus pumps (might not use em, haven't decided yet!).

100_0474.JPG

'04 cobra low mileage take out T56.

100_0476.JPG

FRPP Heavy-Duty TOB.

Should make for a potent track/street car :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

By the way: How does the Cobra shortblock stack up against a forged 2v block? I have never heard someone use this and would love to know how it is!

They use 17cc dished Mahle pistons, forged rods, and a forged crank, perfect for a PI 2v Vortech car lol. The pistons are OK but have very tight clearances and have been known to fail due to thermal expansion in the bore. Usually though, most failures happen because of too-lean related problems, stuck injector, fuel pressure failure, etc. Finding a used sb for $500-$1500 depending on condition would save a lot of cash in my built. There is really no difference between the forged shortblocks they have available as far as "2v" vs "4v" go, the shortblock is all the same! I may just do some rods/pistons and some high quality bearings with this block/crank...even if I maxed out this blower I still would just be getting into the power range where the GT crank would start to get stressed.

I thought you were selling the beast :shrug:

It was on eBay for 20 days, on autotrader and cars.com for a month. I had some interested parties but it came down to the fact that people wanted to low ball me. Haha I was even willing to sell it for retail blue book (around $17,000), and no takers. So I took the money I had saved up and decided to "invest" it in this car :D

nice! You got the AFS black inset 03 Cobra's, im jealous. Should be saweet

Yeah! I showed these wheels to a friend right when they came out, he thought they were ugly, then ended up buying a set for whatever reason LOL :shrug: I still loved em, and found a set here on stangnet for a price too good to pass up. :nice:

Good choices Ben. I like the wheels:nice:

I say pump 14lbs in the stock block and see what happens:D . If she blows, she blows. If not, you won't need forged parts! I've seen some freak stock blocks out there....500+whp