Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Some more details about the setup. Everything here was installed brand new aside from the turbo kit which is no longer available.

Engine: 347 Sportsman, 4340 rotating assy, TFS SFI balancer, 7 qt oil pan and HV pump with ARP shaft, FTI 185cc CNC Twisted Wedge heads with spring package to match custom FTI cam installed straight up, billet timing chain, all new lifters and correct length pushrods, ported and extrude honed upper/lower Holley Intake, Accufab 75mm TBody

Fuel System: In tank pick-up feeding -10 line to Aeromotive inline filter, -8 line to Y-block to -8 line to twin T-Rex pumps feeding billet fuel rails, billet Aeromotive regulator, -6 line back to tank. 72 lb low imped injectors

Ignition system: MSD digital 6AL, Screamin Deamon coil, Livewires, Summit billet distributor and the plugs are Autolite 3923's @ 0.035" - they were the recommended heat range and gap for this setup based on input from others running a similar combo with the same turbos.

Power adder:
Used Incon 800TT Twin Turbo setup. Setup was removed in working order. Turbos spun freely before install. Have recently verified they still spin freely and are not crashing.

Exhaust: 2.5" Magnaflow x-pipe with high flow cats. 2.5" stainless catback with 2 chamber flowmasters.

Cooling System:
Aluminum dual row radiator, Flex a lite electric fan/shroud, Weiand polished water pump, New T-stat (180F IIRC)

Trans/Driveline: MMR TKO 900, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Billet steel flywheel, FRP Aluminum driveshaft, Moser 31 spline 5 lug axles, Auburn Pro Diff, 3.55 gears, big brakes, etc

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi Steve - Andy here. Looking forward to it. I tried to add some more details above. I tend to be pretty detailed so think I can get you what you need. I have a short video here from last year...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXux-ZCmLVk

Please excuse the quality. It was shot on my old iPhone 5s and I used the YouTube video stabilization feature which appears to be a poor choice as it really screws up the quality!

And tanks 91sickfox. I used to own a '91... Vortech T-trim'd 342 in that one but sold it about 13 years ago when I got married, lol. It did make it into MM&FF. Fun car, but I moved on obviously. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Some more details about the setup. Everything here was installed brand new aside from the turbo kit which is no longer available.

Engine: 347 Sportsman, 4340 rotating assy, TFS SFI balancer, 7 qt oil pan and HV pump with ARP shaft, FTI 185cc CNC Twisted Wedge heads with spring package to match custom FTI cam installed straight up, billet timing chain, all new lifters and correct length pushrods, ported and extrude honed upper/lower Holley Intake, Accufab 75mm TBody

Fuel System: In tank pick-up feeding -10 line to Aeromotive inline filter, -8 line to Y-block to -8 line to twin T-Rex pumps feeding billet fuel rails, billet Aeromotive regulator, -6 line back to tank. 72 lb low imped injectors

Ignition system: MSD digital 6AL, Screamin Deamon coil, Livewires, Summit billet distributor and the plugs are Autolite 3923's @ 0.035" - they were the recommended heat range and gap for this setup based on input from others running a similar combo with the same turbos.

Power adder:
Used Incon 800TT Twin Turbo setup. Setup was removed in working order. Turbos spun freely before install. Have recently verified they still spin freely and are not crashing.

Exhaust: 2.5" Magnaflow x-pipe with high flow cats. 2.5" stainless catback with 2 chamber flowmasters.

Cooling System:
Aluminum dual row radiator, Flex a lite electric fan/shroud, Weiand polished water pump, New T-stat (180F IIRC)

Trans/Driveline: MMR TKO 900, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, Billet steel flywheel, FRP Aluminum driveshaft, Moser 31 spline 5 lug axles, Auburn Pro Diff, 3.55 gears, big brakes, etc
Do not attempt to drive the car until I have made some major changes to the tune file you have posted. The tune is currently NOT setup for BOOST...

I fixed what popped out at me, the map sensor was calibrated incorrectly so it will be like starting over... give the tune a try and get a datalog if you make any changes to the tune file on your end I will need a fresh copy of it along with a datalog to accompany it. Any datalogs that are taken while you make changes will affect how I adjust from my end so please be sure to keep that in mind.

Attachments

• TWEECD rev.0.msq
    110.6 KB · Views: 165
Great. I thought he had updated the tune to handle > 100 kPa, but apparently not. Thanks for the catch! MAP sensor also makes sense. I'll give it a whirl and hope for the best. Will report back once I have a chance to run it - this weekend as long as the weather holds out. Will be in touch.

Didn't think I'd have a chance, but I was able to get a quick start up and idle with this revision. It started up, but idled very rich. Lots of fuel vapor out the tailpipes. Seems like MAP might be off though. Check out this log. I see 129 kPa and I never gave it any pedal - this is just the ECU idling for a short time. I was only getting around 5 inches of vacuum and I normally see more like 12 on my Autometer gauge. The car was just barely idling. I didn't want to let it do this long even though I would have liked to see what it did as it warmed up. I didn't change anything in the tune file you sent.

Attachments

• 2017-06-23_14.24.14.msl
    252.4 KB · Views: 151
Are you certain you have a PNP2??? they come with the map daddy upgraded mpxh6400 map/baro sensor...
please verify the system that you have, this will affect a lot of the settings.

does it plug directly into the harness or does it have an adapter harness between the ecu and factory wiring.

Yes, this is directly from my receipt... "MegaSquirt-II V3.57 plug and play for 1986-1993 5.0 Mustang "

Note that I purchased this back in June 2011. It was a while before I got the car up and running. There is no adapter harness. It's truly plug and play although I recall having to run a separate lead to the MSD since for some reason the TFI module would not fire - this was per the guys at DIYAutoTune (Matt Cramer specifically).

Thx,
Andy

2017-06-24-06-20-19-.jpg
Does the unit look like this one?

Here are two logs. First one is basically an idle with a little light load. I had to turn the idle set screw down as it was initially up around 1100-1200 rpm. I took a second log of some idle and light driving around the block.

Attachments

• 2017-06-27_13.17.46.msl
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 2017-06-27_13.21.48.msl
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
Reactions: 1 users
OK I removed fuel from it in this one, once we get the fuel dialed in [close] I will swap it over to closed loop idle.
Also send the next round of datalogs in a PM so we don't fill the thread up.

Attachments

• TWEECD rev.1.msq
    108.3 KB · Views: 166
IMG_2350.JPG

Anyone see where the "professional tuner" went wrong with my VE table? I know Steve will.

I thought I was the rookie? The warm and fuzzy feeling for this shop is slowly going away. After just getting off the phone with the guy I'm not sure I'll trust him with tuning for meth injection after he seemed surprised that Kenne Bells create high IAT's and my car was pulling timing during our session. He never suggested nor did he ever take or view a data log during the entire tuning session.
:crap::fuss:

Last edited: