T5 Gurus

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Ok, I confess, I have been messing with my Chevelle and ZX10r for the past year, not my Mustangs.

So I put an S10 T5 in the Chevelle. It works. but has a dumptruck low gear and not much of an od. Thinking of trying a better set of od gears. Maybe a tko down the line.

Couple questions

The trans is an 89 S10 nwc.

Will wc 5th gears fit this trans?

I have a 92 Camaro wc T5 and a 93 Mustang 2.3 trans. Will either of these give a better od?

Anyone have a list of matched od gear sets with tooth count and part numbers?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a very advanced t-5 question.

Final drive ratio depends heavily on the counter gear and input shaft tooth counts since 5th gear travels through the counter gear.

Without knowing off hand the cluster gear part number, hard to say if a mustang t-5 5th would be any different.

The 5th gear for a 4-banger and 5.0 is actually the same two gears, but the input shaft gearing is different, so that gives the different final ratio. It could potentially be a similar situation with an s-10 counter gear

This one could take a few hours to research on google

Agreed with @Mustang5L5 , there are a lot of variables at play here. Really, for multiple reasons your best bet is a WC transmission, HOWEVER keep in mind that most any engine over ~5L is more than capable of shredding a factory gearset T5. Even the most robust factory T5s have torque ratings no higher than 310 ft-lbs. I don't know what's in your Chevelle, but if it's a 350 or bigger, that T5 is on borrowed time.

Here are a couple good T5 references to get you started.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

EDIT: WE APPARENTLY CAN'T LINK TO OTHER FORUMS. JUST GOOGLE "T5 TRANSMISSION APPLICATIONS" AND HAVE FUN.

Thanks guys.

What I am trying to do is find info to confirm that only nwc 5th gears will fit, or will wc 5th gears fit. I have googled the crap out of it with minimal results. I find 5th gear pns and toothcounts, but need the matching sets to be sure.

Wanted some info on tooth counts and part numbers in matched pairs. Then I can do the math with the other gears. I have a 1352-193 nwc 89 S10 T5, with an 062 countershaft with a 37 tooth gear for the input shaft. Has a 21 tooth input.

Agree this is not a primo choice, especially the 4.03 first gear. But the Chevelle is a cruiser car, and I want od to cruise with.

The T5 conversion was my learning experience in conversion. The trans was $75 at U Pull It, although I spent $200 more on a new countershaft and rebuild kit. Mostly having fun (sort of) playing with it. Wish I had put the new second gear synchro in it....

Yes, my 82 Mustang will run circles around it.

Last edited:
Wanna say first off I don't know the answer 100%, but here's an educated sort of theory.

Primarily the main difference between NWC and WC is the shifter blocker ring types and some of the bearings. Most difference are in 1-3 gear, while 5th used brass blocker rings in both set ups. Looking at my t-5 service manual, both 5th gear units show similar parts and assemble the same....so I "think" it would work. A lot of t5 parts are interchangeable, so it wouldn't surprise me.

From my experience on mustang t-5s, the 5th drive gear and 5th driven gear was the same on both v8 versions and the 2.3 version. The difference in ratios was influenced by the input the counter gear ratio which was slightly different between all three.

Driven gear was 27 tooth
Drive gear is 59 tooth.

That gives you a 1:2.18 ratio from counter gear to main shaft.

So using your input shaft tooth count of 21 teeth, and counter gear tooth count of 37 teeth, it would give you a ratio of 1:0.77

Considering the stock 5th gear of that trans is 1:0.72.....it's worse with the mustang 5th gear

Last edited:
Some more info in regard to putting the S10 T5 behind a 350 brand C in a 66 Malibu.

The S10 four cylinder, v8 Camaro, and 4.3 Astro van units have a case with a Muncie bolt pattern case. Some V6 models have Ford cases, 92 Camaro v6 for example. I got one by mistake... I have not seen a v8 Camaro or Astro van unit in either of my U Pull It yards. The trans was $75.... The Camaro unit has a 17 deg angle on the rear mount pad since its rotated in the Camaro. Makes it a pita to mount. Most likely would need a tailshaft/housing swap.

The four cylinder S10 units have an input shaft that is 1 in - 14 spline, and the shaft is about 5/8 longer than a standard Muncie. A V8 Camaro has the right input shaft length.

So, to put the S10 unit in you need an adapter (Hot Rod Works) to space the trans back so the input shaft fits. You also have to cut about 5/8 in off the input bearing retainer sleeve where the throwout bearing rides. And drill the case to bell bolt holes from 13 mm to1/2 in.

There are adapters to put the Mustang T5 into a Chevy, but you still need to swap on an S10 tailshaft and housing to get the shifter forward to clear a bench seat (in my case). So I went with the $75 junkyard S10 unit with the forward shift tower.

Next issue is S10's had electronic speedos since 88 or 89, like mine. So you cannot just install the Chevy T350 speedo driven gear and cable... There is a Cable x box to use the electronic signal to drive the mechanical speedo. Earlier S10 units had mechanical speedos but I have not found one in two years of jy searching.

S10 shift lever is way long, and has long throws. There are some aftermarket short throw shifters, and I missed one on cl last year.

The trans did barely fit the tunnel, using the stock 66 six banger powerglide crossmember moved back, with a stock T350 mount. Its tight... I do have new body bushings.

Its all doable, but a pita, much more involved than what I read/hear people doing with Fords.

Last edited: