The Real Deal on the SSI intake

stang2841 said:
its not quite a 600 dollar intake its 570 LOL,

I'm going by value, the fuel pressure regulator it comes with and the fuel rails realy more then make up for the extra cost.....

it has a 75mm Opening and a discounted Throttlebody with the purchase of the intake and there is NO need for a EGR spacer.

I made this write up comparing it to one of the most popular intakes, yeah Its possible the Trickflow out performs it, as well as the edelbrock. but it doesnt have the Features of the SSI and I dont think it can match the torque down low either.

from the testing I'm pretty sure it flows on par with the cobra in some applications and maybe a little bit better in other aspects. Alot of ppl are aware of what the Cobra intake does as a bolt on thus why I used it as a benchmark.

eitherway, If someone can prove my theory wrong I'd like to see it, or show me something else I missed let me know, I'm in the market for getting an intake and I've been though everything and Believe this is the best.

Believe me I want more tests on it as well, before I got spend 570 dollars on a intake

the test in the mag was with the weak Cobra Cam as well, with that cam it made the same HP/TQ numbers with the Stocker to 3600 rpm (retaining all the low end grunt) and Took off afterwards killing it the rest of the way up Steady 20RWHP for a while and matched torque with about +5lbs the rest of the way up, Flowed Extremely well to 5350 RPM Killing the Stocker.....

now with out a differnet camshaft to up the RPM Range its hard to tell what it can do in the upper RPM's but from the Test it didnt look like it was losing any steam and with a good aftermarket cam the Peak 41RWHP that the SSI made over the stocker could be well over 60 in the upper RPM range.

this is Just what I got from the test, and with this information I want to know why nobody is buying this intake?
i hope you know that the intake they pitted the BBK intake against was the stock 5.0 HO intake.

• Sponsors (?)

stang2841 said:
I've been in both cars similarly equipped with the two intakes and felt about the same seat of pants.

An intake swap on our cars will not noticably change the "seat of the pants" feeling. The potential of that intake will not be released unitl is has a matching heads and cam combo IMO.

stang2841 said:
heres what I honestly think of it, the design of it is great and its an awesome buy.... I felt a good SOTP difference, specially between 4700-5600 rpm (didnt feel like it lost any down low either)

what you just mentioned there is pretty crazy, you felt a difference in 900 rpms :shrug: 900 rpms goes by so fast in my car I dont know what Im feeling.....how can you feel a dif in only 900 rpms, to me thats a waste. Im suprised no one else has mentioned this. You should feel an all around gian, if you didnt feel anything down low and only up top for those 900 rpms its just not worth it. Hope you got someplans for the future.

Originally Posted by stang2841 heres what I honestly think of it, the design of it is great and its an awesome buy.... I felt a good SOTP difference, specially between 4700-5600 rpm (didnt feel like it lost any down low either)

what you just mentioned there is pretty crazy, you felt a difference in 900 rpms 900 rpms goes by so fast in my car I dont know what Im feeling.....how can you feel a dif in only 900 rpms, to me thats a waste. Im suprised no one else has mentioned this. You should feel an all around gian, if you didnt feel anything down low and only up top for those 900 rpms its just not worth it.

Yeah Stang2841 , :rolleyes: can you explain that 1 to us i dont quite follow :bs:

What I don't understand about the new BBK intake is this: It seems that the effective runner length differs substantially between cylinders. For example, measuring from the throttle body to the port, the runners for cylinders 2 and 3 are short runners, the runners for cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 are medium length runners, and the runners for cylinders 5 and 8 are long runners.

Maybe there's something going on in the plenum that I don't know about, but it seems like the difference in effective runner length would make the airflow unbalanced, and detract from potential power production by making tuning difficult. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd like to see the internal design. Notice that for the plenum and runners on the TB side of the intake, the high velocity air must make a pretty sharp turn to stay in that plenum. High velocity air HATES making sharp turns and has a definite detrimental affect on flow and quality. If yo look at flow test of the stock upper intake, the runners next to the TB runner flow less at higher cfms due to that same reason.

Re: Maryland Stang,

Looking at that picture, if you measure the distance from the throttle body to the ports on #2 and #3 cylinders, it looks like air going to the #2 and #3 runners only travels through about 3-4" of plenum, while the air going to #4 and #8 runners travels through 15-20" of plenum, and makes two 90-degree turns.

The plenums on this intake are narrow and long, enough so that a "standing wave" created in the runner may propagate through the plenum. If that is the case, then the plenum length will be additive with the runner length for resonance purposes, and the air distribution will be very different between the cylinders close to/far from the throttle body.

Bottom line for me: I don't think this thing will beat a Cobra intake, much less one of the more modern intakes (Holley Systemax II, Performer series, Trick Flow series, etc...). Each of those intakes has very similar "plenum plus runner" length for each cylinder; the BBK does not.

sandman0023 said:
Where did he buy the BBK intake at? I ordered one from Brother's Performance but. It was suppose to ship this month but they pushed it back to Feb. I ordered a Trick Flow instead. So where did he get it from?
Correct, BBK has pushed back the release of the intake to Feb. There are no production intakes available to anyone. Only two prototypes exist. I would like to know how stang2841 got his hands on one of the two prototype intakes, considering both of them are still in California.

Care to explain stang2841?

I saw two of them on tuner cars at the SEMA show in Vegas back in Nov. Don't know if those are the two prototypes, but I suspect there are more than just 2 floating around. No doubt they're tweaking the final design, but I've gotta think they cast more than just two to test with.

Michael Yount said:
I saw two of them on tuner cars at the SEMA show in Vegas back in Feb. Don't know if those are the two prototypes, but I suspect there are more than just 2 floating around. No doubt they're tweaking the final design, but I've gotta think they cast more than just two to test with.
The SEMA show was just a few weeks ago, in November, not Feb. Also, there were no BBK intakes on cars at the SEMA show this year. In fact, the first time anyone saw the complete intake in person was at California Speedway in March 2004 on the yellow BBK racecar.

img_0291_800x600.jpg