this is what i have , 331 or 347

NRM90GT

Nov 27, 2005
Boston
im planning on building a stroker but cant decide to go with a 331 or 347. im on a budget and already have edlebrock 1.90 performer heads, 30 lb injectors, tfs street heat intake, and stage 1 cam. car is a weekend driver that will not see any track time. want to get max power while maintaining some driveability. will these heads work on a 347? will a custom cam be worth the money over a stage 2 cam? thanks for the help

P.S. i know scat eagle and dss are the big budget stroker kits available. any of them NOT recomended

• Sponsors (?)

www.coasthigh.com has some good quality, budget minded stroker kits.

The 331 and 347 kits coast the same. I would go for the 347...

But wait...

There are two rod/piston options for the common 347 right now.

1. 1.175" tall piston with a 5.315" rod.

2. 1.090" tall piston with a 5.400" rod.

Option number 1 gives you the same cubes, without the wrist pin intersecting the oil ring land. For your goals, why have even the risk of option 2?

Build it, and have fun with it.

At the engine, yes, and even at the rear wheels if you have the right supporting parts around it.

The camshaft and intake will be huge.

www.flowtechinduction.com will set you up with a custom camshaft. I had a good experience with him, and only for $325. It would be well worth it for another $125 over the price of a mismatched Trickflow Stage 2 camshaft.

Better performance no doubt, better driveability, and better engine vacuum for your brakes.

Expect to pay for new springs, and likely lifters, and pushrods though.

A custom cam would be the best bang for the buck when your looking for max power and drivabilty, I also use Ed for some of my stuff and have excellent results.

The AFM Hi-Rev series would not be a good choice because those heads and intake will never flow enough air in the high rpms to support the power, if they were fully ported then it may work.

If your building this your self, do some research, plan ahead and make good choices. IF your using a engine builder, then tell them your exact goals and budget and let them steer you in the correct direction.

If your going with a cast crank set-up I personally prefer the SCAT over the EAGLE. The cast crank will be fine for your intentions.....