Tire advice - brand and size (Tire size: 265/50 15's on 15" 10 holes?)

I heard I should put 265/50/15 on the rear and 245/50/15's on the front mounted on stock 10 holes.

Sounds good...will it hit? It rides stock height right now with a stock suspension set up.

What do you say to that advice? I need tires soon. What brand do you reccommend for street and infrequent strip/road course use.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know the size of the 10 hole rims (15x7 probably) and if that is the case, I doubt that you will be happy running tires that wide on your street car. I am not saying that it can't be done, but your car will feel like a marshmellow when you go around a corner. I would recommend getting a wider rim for those tires or choosing a smaller size.

I run Bridgestone G009 tires 225/60/15 on my Turbines and love them as a street tire.

Competition tires, I would run Nitto or BFG KD's

A 265/50/15 would be pretty huge, and I don't tthink you'll find a 245/50/15. I did some pretty extensive searching for tires to fit my 15X7" turbines, and it seems the only options are the stock 225/60/15's, or 225/50/15's which have a shorter sidewall.

If you want to road race the car you might consider the 225/50's... there's a much better selection of performance tires in that size, and the shorter sidewall will flex less, which may give you more responsive steering. You'll have a bit more fender gap, but personally I'll live with it for better performance.

i have 265/50/15's on some rod lites, doesnt rub, handles pretty decent for a mustang. I still have no traction, if i had smaller tires my car would be a traveling smoke show

Just changed out my tires today. I had 255/60/R15's on the rear and 215/60/R15's on the front (were already on there when I bought it). It never rubbed or anything at all, and it filled the rear wheel wells up nicely without looking silly or throwing the speedo TOO far off (I have 4.10's with a 21-tooth gear, so the taller sidewall actually put it right where it should be).

I replaced them with stock-sized (225/60/R15) Fuzion HRi's, and the thing has twice the traction it did before with the 255's, as well as handling a heck of a lot better (the rear was all over the place in turns, way too much sidewall flex/roll). The old tires were CRAP for anything but bone-dry driving conditions, as well. It's still easy to roast 'em from a stop ... but that's to be expected with 4.10's and a T-5 ... and a heavy foot. :D

It isn't worth oversizing your rear tires for anything beyond looks, IMHO, or unless you're going with some seriously sticky Mickey Thompson's or something to that effect - skinny Draglites up front and fatty 15"x10" in the back (and rolled inner fender lips). The stock 225's have enough of a footprint without compromising handling, ride, or practicality.

Im pretty sure if you went with 265's youd have to change the aspect ratio to 60. I work at a tire place and have had my eye on 275/60/15's for my rear and I know they'll fit cuz i run 295/50/15's now with hardly any rubbing (stock suspension)...as far as the front goes wider isent always better, but you definatly should look for some with at least an H speed rating. If you can get your hands on some BFG Traction T/A's or something similar that would be a great fitment for your front tires, and they happen to look awesome too.

275/50/15 fits fine on a 10 hole.. depending on the year of the car.. you may have to roll the fenders.. on the shop drag car we run 275/50/15 et drag on the stock 10 hole.. for the track.. and a 275/50/15 bfg dr for the street on a ten hole.. had to roll the fenders since it is a 88 but on later years i have not had to roll the fenders

like everyday is pretty much saying on here. if the car is a everyday driver go with 245's or less but if the car is just a Weekend car or drag srip car then go wider. maybe 265-275 but i would say thats the max u would want.

I have been running 265/50/15's for a few years now. They came with the car when I bought it so I don't really have anything to compare to. It doesn't rub on my '89 but I don't know about your '87. My suspension has always sucked so I don't know about the traction. Got some Dunlops a few years ago for about $90 a piece.

But boy do they look nice from the back. :nice:

I think 265's should go on at least a 8" wide rim. They look killer on 15x8 draglites! I have 245/60/15 BFG T/A's ( Rear) and 215/60/15 (front) on my 10 holes. They fit great.

Oh hell! Just saw the date! Holy thread resurrection Batman! LMAO

My Fox has been lowered about 2.5 inches I currently am running 18x8s all the way around but they rub the lip of the fender and Im switching over to 15x8 rears and 15x5.5s and I need to know if anybody has any idea what size I need to fill the rear fender wells without rubbing. I was thinking maybe 265/ 50 /15s? What do you think?