To Goop Or To Gasket? Attn: Turbo Guys

• Sponsors (?)

Have you never seen video of turbo exhaust? It glows bright red, man. It generates an enormous amount of heat. Nature of the beast.
Dang that's some serious heat!! Doesn't even seem practical at that point to have a turbo if you can't beat on it without risking burning your car down to the ground. I haven't seen your car in a while to know what hood you have but would a ram air hood help the temps a bit under the hood instead of a cowl?

Dang that's some serious heat!! Doesn't even seem practical at that point to have a turbo if you can't beat on it without risking burning your car down to the ground. I haven't seen your car in a while to know what hood you have but would a ram air hood help the temps a bit under the hood instead of a cowl?

Well, a lot of ppl run stock hoods, as do I. I need to go back and wrap the remainder of my piping, which should help. I've looked into misc hood vents, ie gt 500, coyote gt... but I hate to chop on my hood.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, a lot of ppl run stock hoods, as do I. I need to go back and wrap the remainder of my piping, which should help. I've looked into misc hood vents, ie gt 500, coyote gt... but I hate to chop on my hood.
Or, you could cut two big, gi honkin holes on top of your hood, and two smaller holes at the back to allow air in and out, knowing that there is a red hot, 6 legged chunk of steel directly beneath the sheet metal.

Then spend countless hours building the scoops, blend them in with body filler, cut one off, build a new one, blend it back in, cut them both back off,.......blah, blah, blah.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Or, you could cut two big, gi honkin holes on top of your hood, and two smaller holes at the back to allow air in and out, knowing that there is a red hot, 6 legged chunk of steel directly beneath the sheet metal.

Then spend countless hours building the scoops, blend them in with body filler, cut one off, build a new one, blend it back in, cut them both back off,.......blah, blah, blah.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Are you kidding?! What kinda dope do you take me for?...

But seriously, I really wanted to put some '12 style gt vents in the hood, but they sit on a recessed lip, which I can't do without a repaint... and I don't think anyone is going to match the paint on this car for less than a million dollars... and with those vents just sitting on top of the sheet metal it'll look tacky... ugh.

Welp, I got the header loose and gasket out.
Percy's blowout proof gasket my ass.

20150912_181421.jpg
20150912_181627.jpg

Did you upset this guy? He likes to nuke coffee cups too. I think he's to blame!
super.png

Makes no sense. Bolts were tight, freaking header flange is straight as an arrow with a precision straightedge. Peace on gaskets. I will wrap my pipe and slap goo from a tube on it!

What size turbo are you running ? Seems like it may be too much back pressure on that thing. Just a thought.

It's a .96 a/r 75mm. I don't think it's too much back pressure. We're going with the rtv. That should fix it.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are having repetitive problems with the same parts, it is time to have the cylinder head exhaust port flanges and the header flanges checked for flatness. Take it all apart and take it to the machine shop and have them mill the mating surfaces.

@Boosted92LX I've had a lot of success with Remflex, I've had the same set on my turbo 95 running about 10psi for 3 years without any issues, and the manifolds aren't perfect either (the graphite gaskets are thick enough to absorb some considerable un-evenness). If you do use plain copper RTV, you'll probably want to make sure the headers are milled as flat as possible.

You might also consider checking your EGT's. If you recall you and I had argued in a thread a long while ago about the death of your original turbo where I suspected it had baked itself to death based on your failure description. Your description of heat damage being caused by the piping is also unusual -- my pipes aren't wrapped and I've never experienced anything like what you describe. How much boost are you pushing, and what are your AFR's at full boost? I'd be suspecting a lean condition at boost (one or more cylinders) -- red hot headers are not the norm on a street setup -- the stainless is going to rapidly become brittle and your valves will be burned unless you address the possible heat issue.

As for venting, perhaps you now better understand my ugly front bumper. :) Best of luck!

Did the copper rtv solve your problem? Any effect on the O2 sensors? I've got my headers off right now to install motor mounts and want to stop them from leaking when I reinstall.

Yes the copper rtv worked like a champ and has not hurt the o2 sensors. I'd recommend it to anyone, I'm done with gaskets.