Trick Flow Top End Kit.......which emissions legal Cam???

• Sponsors (?)

Dont worry about the cam. If you bolt up your stock cats and run all the time line from the smog pump you WILL pass

I passed with my car idleing at a 12:1 a/f ratio with my TT setup.....on the dyno rollers and no erg!

Wow Kyle :eek:

That is very interesting :D

I would think a ratio that fat at idle would hinder things to the point
you would fail the test :shrug:

Grady

GreenMustangGt, I completely believe what you said .

In California, however,:shrug: even if you passed the sniffer & dyno w/ better than stock figures, you would fail the visual. The problem w/ Cali & possibly other states is that you must have a Carb-Exempt part no. for every part that is not stock for that vehicle & Yr., no matter how well it performs.:bang: It is so stupid, cause if you car passes, you shouldn't need a visual!!! It's ridiculous. In my state you have to be rather slick about it. The smog techs generally know how a car should idle, and they pay close attention to sports cars, cause they know we're always trying to push the envelope to get MORE......

If you go in their w/ a lumpy idle, "burning Clean", they will fail you! They look for part numbers, and some parts to be factory engraved w/ the exemption numbers. I have heard that if your car makes too much horsepower, w/o the documentation of, for example, a "smog Legal Vortech" or something and the smoggable supporting parts, they will fail you. I feel like it's a F**kin' conspiracy.

I suppose that if you can get a great tune that can alter or disguise the sound of a "big Cam", you pass the sniffer+Dyno, and the engine looks fairlly stock(to pass Visuals), plus all of the visible go fast parts, have corresponding Carb-Exmp info,
you could have a very fast, unsuspectingly fast car, that passes smog in Cali. If one couldn't hide the lopey cam, or use a cam grind that make similar hp w/ better idle, if possible.

This discussion, all of the posts has enlightened people like me, who have to navigate smog regulations in Cali. I can tell that I am among some very wise, very intelligent people here at StangNet. I have learned a lot here. Some of you guys are real innovators and have tried things that would impress the engineers at Ford:hail2: This is Research & Development at it's best, keep it rollin'

Grady.......thanks a ton. Yes, I'll be thinking out of the box for sure. I don't mind leaving some power on the table, just not to a gross degree. :) A 347 would be my ideal choice, but going with a new 306 down the road sounds pretty good too. In a couple years, I may just part everything and go the 347 route and keep the TF motor for a two seater I've been dreaming about.

Kyle........point taken. That is pretty impressive that you pass under your conditions.

Dante30........I feel for you big time. Georgia emissions is pretty strict, but we are way less so on the visual. All they care about here is cats. I've talked to they guy who does my emissions and there is no problem getting tested and passing with a modified motor or even a crate motor (no paperwork required either).

I feel so much more informed and confident now, so thanks everyone. I haven't heard back from TF, but no rush at this point.

Here's a thought: Wouldn't it be great to have a stickie with nothing buy dyno results with the combos listed. Something everyone could contribute too. AND.....everyone would be aksed to mention if their combo passed emissions or not.

Here's a thought: Wouldn't it be great to have a stickie with nothing buy dyno results with the combos listed. Something everyone could contribute too. AND.....everyone would be aksed to mention if their combo passed emissions or not.

That would be nice :nice:

I have made it a point to try and save the details of combos and their
dyno results when I can but it is not always as easy as it would at first
seem to be.

Some of the time, the only chart you get on these boards to use for
reference material has been taken with a cell phone, a poor scan, etc
and the image is not good enough to extract the data one needs
for a close analysis.

Then you see some peeps use different types of dynos, different
calibration standards, and other differences that make it kind of
difficult to compare all these combos on a fair basis.

Grady

I'm not disagreeing with you :nono:
but
I would like you to elaborate on your info here if you would be so kind :D

Grady

Its cool.....from what I have read everywhere. The heads in the street heat kit and the track heat kit are different. If I remember correctly, I think the track heat's dont have the egr ports. Or something like that. I have heard people buy the track heat kits. And not being able to pass emissions. But not the street heat. Even on the trickflow website they say the track heat heads are for non-emission vehicles.

Its cool.....from what I have read everywhere. The heads in the street heat kit and the track heat kit are different. If I remember correctly, I think the track heat's dont have the egr ports. Or something like that. I have heard people buy the track heat kits. And not being able to pass emissions. But not the street heat. Even on the trickflow website they say the track heat heads are for non-emission vehicles.

Thanks for the info and it all makes sense to me :nice:

I do admit to the fact ... I did not see you were talking about
the ENTIRE kit :doh:

I couldn't see how just the shorter runners of the th upper
would make a difference :scratch:

Grady