TURBO and SUPER CHARGER QUESTIONS...

I dont know why you think displacement or stroke has anything to do with compression?!!!!? You can have a 7:1 CR 347 and you can have a 14:1 CR 302!!! It all depends on the compression height of the piston, the headgasket thickness and the combustion chamber size! displacement has nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately, you appear serious.

How do you fill the cylinder since obviously stroke has NOTHING to do with compression?

Do you even know how to calculate compression?

I haven't read anything this dumb in a long time.

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately, you appear serious.

How do you fill the cylinder since obviously stroke has NOTHING to do with compression?

Do you even know how to calculate compression?

I haven't read anything this dumb in a long time.

So if his post is soo dumb, your saying that head gasket thickness, chamber size, and the amount of dish(of lack there of) in a piston
has nothing to do with compression?????

compression is:

Total volume/compressed volume (in chamber)

they are parts of a whole.

To say its simply hg, compression height, and combustion chamber size is completely ignorant to the truth.

Again, I would ask how you calculate compression without a crankshaft?

I'm in the process of building a 347. .

Sorry - I just stopped drooling over the Viper. What do you have the Mustang for again? I suggest you spend the $3500 on track time tires and fuel for the Viper :Track: and use the Mustang to go back and forth to work. Or trade it in on a pickup to haul the Viper back and forth to the track so you don't ruin the setup. Then use the truck to go back and forth to work.

Even though I have a Viper, the Mustang has been with me ever since I started racing, it's the OG so i'll always keep it. It's now going to be able to cruise on the streets but mostly a drag car. The Viper has already had my attention for the past 2 years and 25K in parts. All the while the poor ol trusty Mustang has been sitting in the garage patiently, but now it's the Mustangs time to return and claim it's rightful spot on top!
I have a full size 4x4 Dodge Ram that if needed, i plan on trailering the Mustang to the track so thats covered also. Neither the Mustang or the Viper are daily drivers.

I think since the price on a turbo is going to be so expensive, I might just go with a nice S or T trim Supercharger so i'll have that for the street or whenever I normally drive and on top of that i'll spray it at the track and see what kind of times I can pull with the 347 SC + Nitrous

I think since the price on a turbo is going to be so expensive, I might just go with a nice S or T trim Supercharger so i'll have that for the street or whenever I normally drive and on top of that i'll spray it at the track and see what kind of times I can pull with the 347 SC + Nitrous

I think this is a common misconception. While it used to be the case, turbo setups can be had for the same if not less than superchargers. There is one big difference between the two as well….the turbo kit's typically come with an air to air intercooler while the supercharger kits do not.

Regardless of which route your going to take, your going to destroy the bottom end when that block lets go. The super/turbo charger alone is going to be pushing the limits of the block…and adding nitrous is just plain overkill.

I thought you said as long as I keep the RPM's down i'll be ok? So the only way to make a good motor is to buy an expensive block? Now I wish I wouldn;t have bought this mexican block. I mean how much MORE power can a mexican block take vs. stock block? Does anyone know the HP limits of a mexican block?

As long as you keep the rpm down it might live longer. Most believe the mexican block to be good up to the 650hp range...give or take.

There is some usefull information here... http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23254.0

It's going to let you know the in's and out's of the mexican block. :nice:

Thanks man, that is some VERY good info in that thread. Looks like the Mexican blocks are pretty strong, BUT not strong enough for all the power i'm planning on putting in it. I've been thnking and if i'm going to do it, i'll do it right. This is going to push back the schedule by a few months but in the end i'll feel more comfortable when i'm beating the crap out of it and running 9's that it probably won;t break. IF I was just building another 306/331/347 strker and NOT adding the nitrous.sc/turbo then it would be fine but the power i'll have in it is definately going to be overkill and i'd hate to spend all this money and break the motor thus destroying everything else in the bottom end. I'm not happy about having to switch to a Dart block but it's something I have to do.

So if anyone is looking for a mexican block in great shape, shoot me an e-mail. It's a complete motor minus intake mainly. Included
oil pan/pistons/crank/heads/cam/distributor/rockers etc no rust and no cracks found by the machine shop.

Grrr i'm pissed I bought this block now but heck I didn;t know I was going to be adding all this other power to it. If I wouls have just stuck with a basic 347 and 150 shot i'd be fine but I want to go into the 9's for sure! Without having to worry about breaking anything, if i'm spending 8 grand in other parts, I might as well back it up with a super strong dart block.

So here is my NEW QUESTION -

With the set-up I want, what DART block do I need? I'm figuring in the 700+ hp range for this motor maybe if I add the turbo or SC and everything else + nitrous if using a SC.

I must be invisible

352" mexican block
twin t3/t4s (old incon kit)
stock twisted wedge heads
twisted wedge stage II cam
lentech AOD

I know Barry never got a good pass out of it, but it did go 138-140 through the 1/4 a couple of times before he sold it. I want to say he went a string of 10.0s, the car was definitely setup to be a handler instead of just a drag car.

He started the "Mexican Block" thread on turboforums.com and currently works at Proline Race Engines.

You did catch on that the thread on turboforums is the same guy right?
That mexican block ended up being put together.

I do remember he had a "Halo" girdle, not sure if you can still get those new.

If you are REALLY worried about cost, do you think a $1500 block is in your budget?

Why not a early 70s windsor and do a 393 on the cheap (relatively speaking)

I think you should just do the mexican 347, find a Holset H2C and be done with it.

I must be invisible

You did catch on that the thread on turboforums is the same guy right?
That mexican block ended up being put together.

I do remember he had a "Halo" girdle, not sure if you can still get those new.

If you are REALLY worried about cost, do you think a $1500 block is in your budget?

Why not a early 70s windsor and do a 393 on the cheap (relatively speaking)

I think you should just do the mexican 347, find a Holset H2C and be done with it.

Oops sorry about that man I completely must have skipped over your post on accident. My fault, thanks for the advice so far.

No I didn't know that was the same guy.

A 1500 block was not in my budget but I think I need it if I really want this motor to last or else i'm sure i'll end up breaking it. Plus i found out, I need the retrofit link bar lifters, which are said to be around 400 bucks+

I want to do it right this time so I don;t have to do it again in say a year when I break the mexican block. I broke my stock block (306) and it completely destroyed everything in my bottom end and I don;t want to see that happen again. I'm renound for beating the crap out of all my cars, I mean I mechanically take great care of them but I run everything I own hard and thats the way i like it. So i figure if i'm spending all this money, i better buy a solid block that can take the abuse it's about to go through.

I REALLY want consistant 9's without worrying if it's going to break going down the track. Yes I know stuff breaks but if I can avoid it by spending a little more money then i'd rather do it now then face the consequences later. It's my goal to run 9's and have both my cars on the cover of several popular magazines (5.0 & Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords).

SO now i'm thinking even a bigger motor then a 347, I mean if i'm spending the money should I just get a bigger motor, like a 351 roller motor stroked to a 427? I don;t know i'm just thinking about which direction i want to go now, I have a while to decide since i'm focusing on the exterior and interior right now. Any suggestions or should I just stick to a 347?

Thanks again guys, i'm sure i'm a pain right now because now i'm changing my mind but I just want to make sure I secure 9's and have a bada$$ Stang. Thanks again!:nice: