What brand of Oil Filter do you use?

D.Hearne said:
Well, it's just the opposite here, Advance is the best of the three ( auto zone and O'Reilly ar ethe other two) Auto Zone has a bunch of former burger flippers there, same is true for O'Reilly's here. :notnice:
what town you in man? In Lafayette, ya got O'Reillys, which is like 2 people in there a guy and girl...which don't really help you much. Autozone you have a few people there that know something, but aren't nice lol. They don't always have what I want there unfortunetly. Advanced seemed to be where the idiots worked. lol but anyway.

back to oil filters, i went and bought a motorcraft and am putting that on when i change the oil tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as parts stores go, NAPA seems the best around here for personel, although they're typically higher and don't stay open late enough for me. These guys have typically been there for a while, I haven't seen anyone at the 'Zone or O'Reillys that has been there more than 2 years. I like O'Reillys as they don't need to know the interior color, and whether or not I have a vinyl roof or not to sell me a gasket for a 9" pumpkin like the 'Zone does.

Since we're talking the quality of oil filters. In the last couple of years, I've used Valvoline oil filters on my car, they hold about a quart, and have an anti-drainback.

The anti-drainback NEVER worked I have come to find out, rattled like a mofo since day one but I did nothing about it because everyone's been telling me "they all do that" YEH, WITH CRAPPY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS! So I decided to try a genuine oil filter. When I got it, I was afraid it wouldn't fit. See, it's 1/3 of the size of the other one, but it fits, the anti-drainback works, and thicker oil seems to flow easier through it than the Valvoline ones, which isn't surprising really, as they use a "fins on fins" type of arrangement on the element, giving it a lot of area in a smaller space.

I wish I had have tried it earlier to save the engine a bit of initial start up wear.

Great68 said:
I use a K&N. Because I only need to change my oil once a year for how often I drive my car, I don't really mind the $10.

I did a copy off of the K&N filter by JB Welding a 3/4 inch nut on the AC (GM)brand filter I use on my '04 Buick because it is hard to get to. Now, I just use a socket and extension to get it off.

I have a Motorcraft FL1A on the '67 and a FRAM on the '00 but after reading this the FRAM will be replaced. I bought it with the FRAM and haven't had to change the oil yet

-Mike