What cams should i get?

rawpower281

Mar 13, 2006
buying cams just want to make sure i get the right ones. I really want something with a lot of torque i mainly drive the car on the street. here are a list of my modifications.

C&L intake, udp, fipk K&N intake, hich flow catted x pipe, slp loud mouth,
410's, and hypertech tuner. that just about does it any input is very appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

VT Stage 2's FTW!!!!! you'll have to do a valvespring upgrade to run those cams though. or go with the Stage 1's.. they'll still add good power and won't need to change out the valvesprings.

rawpower281 said:
buying cams just want to make sure i get the right ones. I really want something with a lot of torque i mainly drive the car on the street. here are a list of my modifications.

C&L intake, udp, fipk K&N intake, hich flow catted x pipe, slp loud mouth,
410's, and hypertech tuner. that just about does it any input is very appreciated.

What you need to do is contact a business like ModularPowerHouse, tell them what your looking for in a cam, and have them custom grind you one that is just how you want it, unlike some over the counter generic cams. I think MPH does custom grinds on both COMP and VT.

JOHNS01GT said:
What you need to do is contact a business like ModularPowerHouse, tell them what your looking for in a cam, and have them custom grind you one that is just how you want it, unlike some over the counter generic cams. I think MPH does custom grinds on both COMP and VT.
That is one way to do it.. VT also grinds their cams for either N/A or blower applications also.

Depends on where you want that torque? STg 1s will keep your lowend torque where you spend most of your time, but still allow you to run out to 6200-6400RPM shifts no problem. STG 2s will drop your hp/torque vs the stg 1s until about 4000-4500 and want to go to about 6500. They should make maybe 10HP hore than the stg 1s up top.

So it all depends what you want, and stg 1s dont require the $200 dollar valve springs, and all you have to do is pop the valve covers to change the cams. STg 2s require a full tear down of the front of the engine.
Thats what I know about the 2 cams and whats required, and thats why I went with stg 1s.

hotmustang331 said:
So it all depends what you want, and stg 1s dont require the $200 dollar valve springs, and all you have to do is pop the valve covers to change the cams. STg 2s require a full tear down of the front of the engine.

Please do not pass on information that could damage other people's cars!:nono: Have you checked your car to see if you have had PTV?

I know of cars with VT Stg I, VT Stg II, Comp 262AH( PI ), Comp 270AH( PI ) cams all have PTV issues. Some cases the PTV showed up right away and damaged the engine. Some have gotten a few thousand miles and then the PTV took out the engine. Others were unlucky to pull their heads for headswaps, only to find PTV on the pistons when using these cams.

What causes PTV is IMPROPER CAM installs. I am getting tired of this crap of people telling others that all they have to do is remove the valve covers and swap cams. I don't care who that person is, that is NOT the way to install performance cams.

The stock 2V cam gears have a wide tolerance in them. For a mild cam like the stock cam is, there won't be any problems, however you won't know for sure with a more aggressive cam. Unless you have degreed the cams in, you don't ****ing know if they are going to cause problems or not. You now know why so many have lost engines or had extra expences due to crappy cam installs. Also, you will get the best results by a degreed in cam. Degreeing in a cam requires the front cover to be pulled.

If you want to install these cams in your that way that is fine. Don't come back a crying when your car is broken. This is going to be my last warning regarding cam installs. If people want to do the way as suggested by hotmustang331, when I see more threads of PTV taking out engines and such, this is going to be my reply.

:lol: You was warned! :lol:

TGJ said:
Please do not pass on information that could damage other people's cars!:nono: Have you checked your car to see if you have had PTV?

I know of cars with VT Stg I, VT Stg II, Comp 262AH( PI ), Comp 270AH( PI ) cams all have PTV issues. Some cases the PTV showed up right away and damaged the engine. Some have gotten a few thousand miles and then the PTV took out the engine. Others were unlucky to pull their heads for headswaps, only to find PTV on the pistons when using these cams.

What causes PTV is IMPROPER CAM installs. I am getting tired of this crap of people telling others that all they have to do is remove the valve covers and swap cams. I don't care who that person is, that is NOT the way to install performance cams.

The stock 2V cam gears have a wide tolerance in them. For a mild cam like the stock cam is, there won't be any problems, however you won't know for sure with a more aggressive cam. Unless you have degreed the cams in, you don't ****ing know if they are going to cause problems or not. You now know why so many have lost engines or had extra expences due to crappy cam installs. Also, you will get the best results by a degreed in cam. Degreeing in a cam requires the front cover to be pulled.

If you want to install these cams in your that way that is fine. Don't come back a crying when your car is broken. This is going to be my last warning regarding cam installs. If people want to do the way as suggested by hotmustang331, when I see more threads of PTV taking out engines and such, this is going to be my reply.

:lol: You was warned! :lol:

well said :nice:

First off dude, your a complete idiot! :lol: You apparently have 0 knowledge of WHY PTV contact is occuring is SOME cases...so let me educate you.

PTV has ONLY occured to me knowledge on COMP 270+ cam profiles. WHY? because comp grinds in a few extra degrees of advance INTO the cams (6 i think) . Now the Ford cam gear can go up to 3*s advanced or 3#s retared...thats its tolerance. That plus what comp ground into cams resulted in UP TO around 9*s of cam advance! The higher durration of the 270s+ and the tolerance variation of the cam gear has caused PTV is SOME cases...if the cam gear was on the - side of the tolerance, there were NO issues.

NOW the VT cams DONT grind in enough advance to cause PTV even if the cam gear is +3. And the stg 1s are WAY WAY WAY far from PTV, not even close. If someone installed like I said and say jumped a tooth or 2 on the cam gear, then they can have PTV...but if its done right THERE WILL NOT BE ANY PTV WITH STG 1 OR STG 2 VT cams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go do some reading on MD like I did and maybe you will learn something....both of you. :notnice: :Zip2:

NOTE this applies to his engine...99-04 PIs. the 96-98 guys may get PTV with the above cams..ecause I seen that you mentioned "headswap" . I dont know about them, all im conserned with are PIs.

hotmustang331 said:
First off dude, your a complete idiot! :lol: You apparently have 0 knowledge of WHY PTV contact is occuring is SOME cases...so let me educate you.

PTV has ONLY occured to me knowledge on COMP 270+ cam profiles. WHY? because comp grinds in a few extra degrees of advance INTO the cams (6 i think) . Now the Ford cam gear can go up to 3*s advanced or 3#s retared...thats its tolerance. That plus what comp ground into cams resulted in UP TO around 9*s of cam advance! The higher durration of the 270s+ and the tolerance variation of the cam gear has caused PTV is SOME cases...if the cam gear was on the - side of the tolerance, there were NO issues.

NOW the VT cams DONT grind in enough advance to cause PTV even if the cam gear is +3. And the stg 1s are WAY WAY WAY far from PTV, not even close. If someone installed like I said and say jumped a tooth or 2 on the cam gear, then they can have PTV...but if its done right THERE WILL NOT BE ANY PTV WITH STG 1 OR STG 2 VT cams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go do some reading on MD like I did and maybe you will learn something....both of you. :notnice: :Zip2:

NOTE this applies to his engine...99-04 PIs. the 96-98 guys may get PTV with the above cams..ecause I seen that you mentioned "headswap" . I dont know about them, all im conserned with are PIs.

Look you **** Tard! You my friend, need to be bitch slapped as you have been beaten with the stupid stick to much. You have zero knowledge because of your posts in this thread, just like you had no ****ing clue about how well SVO 2V heads flow and I could go on. So pay attention, you might just learn something.

Take your example, what happens if the cam gear is +6? A set of cam gears I had that were bought brand new from Ford in 2003 for a set of 2003 PI cams was that bad. I have heard of others that were that bad or worse. Do a search on cam gears and posts by Johnny Langton, you will find quite a few cam gears that are more than your so called 3 degree tolerance.

There is 4 cases of PTV and VT Stg II cams on MD alone. I am not going to search for them for you. Want to explain why those happened, there smart guy? Yup they installed them cams just like you did, one of them after finding out he had PTV degreed the cams and found his cam gear was +6 on the side that had PTV. This was an 01 mustang, he found that he had PTV when he went and installed P&P heads.

Another guy, I believe it is on Modular Fords had VT Stg I's and had the same issue. I am not going and looking for these.

I am well aware of what Comp does with their cam profiles and again it is 4 degrees advanced timing, not 6 like you said. I am aware of the fact that Comps are having the majority of the PTV problems and again it still comes down to the install.

When the Comps( with or without that advance ) are installed properly, why do the clear flat top pistons easily? A person on MD recently had an issue with his Comp Cams and that they were 9 degrees out on one side when he was degreeing them in. It was all the stock cam gear.

Anyway, like I said earlier. I am done with idiots like you hotmustang331. From now on, I am staying out these and let ass clowns like you answer them. I will be posting in the threads where people have PTV issues and laugh at them because they likely listened to ass-clowns like you!

TGJ said:
Look you **** Tard! You my friend, need to be bitch slapped as you have been beaten with the stupid stick to much. You have zero knowledge because of your posts in this thread, just like you had no ****ing clue about how well SVO 2V heads flow and I could go on. So pay attention, you might just learn something.

Take your example, what happens if the cam gear is +6? A set of cam gears I had that were bought brand new from Ford in 2003 for a set of 2003 PI cams was that bad. I have heard of others that were that bad or worse. Do a search on cam gears and posts by Johnny Langton, you will find quite a few cam gears that are more than your so called 3 degree tolerance.

There is 4 cases of PTV and VT Stg II cams on MD alone. I am not going to search for them for you. Want to explain why those happened, there smart guy? Yup they installed them cams just like you did, one of them after finding out he had PTV degreed the cams and found his cam gear was +6 on the side that had PTV. This was an 01 mustang, he found that he had PTV when he went and installed P&P heads.

Another guy, I believe it is on Modular Fords had VT Stg I's and had the same issue. I am not going and looking for these.

I am well aware of what Comp does with their cam profiles and again it is 4 degrees advanced timing, not 6 like you said. I am aware of the fact that Comps are having the majority of the PTV problems and again it still comes down to the install.

When the Comps( with or without that advance ) are installed properly, why do the clear flat top pistons easily? A person on MD recently had an issue with his Comp Cams and that they were 9 degrees out on one side when he was degreeing them in. It was all the stock cam gear.

Anyway, like I said earlier. I am done with idiots like you hotmustang331. From now on, I am staying out these and let ass clowns like you answer them. I will be posting in the threads where people have PTV issues and laugh at them because they likely listened to ass-clowns like you!

All this coming from a guy that claims 4.6 Tbirds with some cams and boltons can make over 300RWHP :lol: ...yea thats through an auto :rlaugh: .

And now for the bold part....last time I checked you CANT install stg 2 cams by popping the valve covers :rolleyes: . yes you are so knowledgeable...with your mighty Tbird.:lol:

hey and who the heck cares what a SVO head flows anyways? Dang am I suppossed to know every flow # on every head? Dude all you do is cause arguments, your always cutting people down and spreading FALSE information based on "well my friends friend had PTV with stg 1 cams" ect.

If you had PTV contact then you will KNOW, you cant just drive around banging your valves into the pistons :rolleyes: . the hyperstatic piston will grenade...they are like glass. Even if your piston doesnt go, your valves would get beat to heck and wouldnt seal...it would miss. "one day I decided to do a head swap and discovered that my valve had been hitting my piston...had no idea" :rlaugh: Thats pretty funny.

And in this thread I was talking about VT stg 1s through the valve covers. And look, if you screw up and skip some teeth, you will have PTV. Lets see those cases about stg 2s and PTV...out of what THOUSANDS of cam installs? Seems kinda odd huh? Maybe a few cam gears get out, outside of Fords tolerance...but thats out of my control. There have been plety of people on here that have installed VTs cams and NEVER once seen any isses. Last time (about a year ago) I heard from Scott that there have been ZERO issues with PTV with their cams.

Look if you throw the stg 2 cams on a PI swapped 2V (more compression and more likely for PTV contact) then you MAY have problems...but on a 99-04 PI you dont have to worry about it.

Thats my take on it, I have done all my mods...I researched each of them accordingly. But AGAIN I said to install stg 1s through the valve covers NOONE has ever had issues with them...your acting like people have all kinds of issues by installing cams through the valve covers....NOT ONE CASE! Your a looser man, anything I say you go and say the opposite and make up storys about friends with "PTV contact" ect. Your trying to reduce my credability for some reason, and its ticking me to no end. I try and help people out and you go off and bash what I say with 0 proof...and then we get off into stg 2s....THE SUBJECT HERE IS STG 1S THROUGH THE VALVE COVERS! LETS SEE ALL THOSE PEOPLE WITH DESTROYED ENGINES BY DOING WHAT I SUGGESTED!:rolleyes: I dont want to get into anything here with someone who pulls stuff out of their magic tricks hat just to tick me off...GO AWAY TROLL! Please:shrug: