What I'm gonna do for wheels on my '89 vert

TheFleshRocket

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2002
Southern Ill Annoy
I've been searching the forum archives concerning what wheels and tires will fit on my '89 GT vert. The consensus seems to be that 17x9 Cobra Rs with 275/40R17s will fit in the rear, but will probably require flipping or removing the quad shocks. This doesn't bother me, because I plan on installing a Maximum Motorsports panhard bar, thereby eliminating the need for the quad shcoks altogether.

Some people have actually been able to run those same 17x9s and 275s up front, albeit often requiring rolling the fender or using the steering range limiter (those little things that go inside the steering rack).

So what I'm thinking of doing is just ordering one pair of 17x9s and one pair of 275s. If I can get them to work up front, I'll order a matching set for the rear. If I can't get them to work up front, I'll order a pair of 17x8s and a pair of 245/45s.

I know that in '91, slightly more spacious fenders were installed to allow more space for the bigger 16" Pony wheels. Since my car is an '89, it won't have those fenders. However, will simply rolling the fenders be enough to net me clearance that is at least as good as on a '91-'93 car? Or did those years have physically bigger fender flares as well?

Along the same time that I install the panhard bar, I'm also going to install H&R springs and Bilstein shocks. I haven't decided between the supersport or race springs yet. The supersport springs aren't quite as stiff as the race springs, but they lower the car approximately .5 inch more in the front--so how much lower I want to go will be the determining factor. Suffice it to say that the car will be lowered at least an inch and have significantly stiffer springs and shocks than stock.

So, I welcome any comments or suggestions that you guys have concerning my present plan.

• Sponsors (?)