What kind of gas milage do you get

• Sponsors (?)

'91 GT, 250,000 miles/original 302, TKO and 3.73's, 15-17mpg regardless of daily driving habits. However, I'm currently in VT on a roadtrip, and I just filled up today: 268 miles on this tank all highway, 80mph average.

Just did mine the other day and it was a little over 24mpg with 2.73 gears and with less than 50% of the mileage off the interstate. The car runs high 13's-low 14's right now as well and taking a guess with the parts that have been added after the last dyno putting down 230-235rwhp which would be a increase of 10-15rwhp.

Last road trip I went on I got about 24mpg, from San Diego to Roswell coming out here for the summer. My car was also packed to the brim with as much stuff as I could pack in it, tools, computer, tv, clothes, bedding, mustang magazines, PS2, Xbox, parts I still need to put on, etc... I think I need to add some ignition timing today it has been really bad lately, could be the heat and of course my lead foot...

mustanglvr88 said:
how are all you people getting such good gas milage? is there a trick?
i get 18 with stock gears
A little skill, more tuning and mostly luck. A good tuner can usually take a 5.0 that's getting bad mileage and bring it up considerably. A good driver can take a 5.0 that's running well and get outstanding mileage. Then there are some cars that for unexplained reasons can't seem to get good mileage regardless of what's been done or who's driving. Example- my wife's 5.0 got 20mpg with the old engine that was ready to grenade. So, we put in a new one. Two years and 10K miles later, after investigating every possible problem under the sun, it still barely breaks 15 mpg bone stock running like a champ. I think the engine is just a lemon. A lot of it is the driver though- there is no one trick for good mileage, each car has to be driven differently based on it's mods. It's about knowing your car, feeling what the engine is doing like it's a part of your body- know when it's using more fuel than it needs to get the job done and train yourself to modulate the throttle accordingly. Install a vac gauge and you'll be amazed at how big a difference the slightest change in pedal pressure makes in what happens in the engine. Better yet, a vac gauge and a FP gauge for the big picture... it'll teach you things you didn't know were there to learn- like where your power band really is, and how efficiently you actually utilize it.

I'm getting a little over 17mpg in pretty much all city driving. It's a vert with 2.73's and an auto. I just bought it in December and haven't been on a highway trip yet, so I don't know what the highway milage will be.