Which Edelbrock shock?

Jimmys66

Founding Member
Nov 28, 2001
Paw Paw MI
I'm going to run a progressive spring from pro-motorsports with an opentracker UCA and roller perch in my 66 mustang. I've lightened the front end, doing everything but fiberglass.

I'm trying to build a mild track/aggresive street car and need opinions on which Edelbrock IAS shock to use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Perfromer IAS(red) and the Classic(grey) are the same other than the color right?

S&T also offers a Club Racing version of the shock. Will it be better for handeling or will it just be too harsh on the street?

• Sponsors (?)

The Performer IAS (red) shock is a stiffer shock then the Classic IAS (grey). I have the Performers on my car and am very pleased with them. They are very firm, but will allow the suspension to respond if they encounter a change in the pavement.

For your set up with the progressive springs, you might want to try the Classics. They should work great with your combo.

Tim

I am going to be the odd man out, sorry.

I have had bad experiences with the ED's. Once on my Ford 4x4 truck which rode harsh and transmitted the bumps into the cabin. I purchased Bilsteins and it was a world of a difference, much better than stock and stock was much better than the ED's. I also have them on my 71 Mustang and I am taking them off. Not enough proper damping, they are either too harsh or too jouncy.

I am putting in QA1's since Bilstein nor Koni does not make shocks for the 71 stang front end. My 65 had them, now has much better Koni shocks. The QA1's are pretty good but not as good as Bilsteins or Koni. I will no longer try the ED shocks. They are better than stock cheap shocks or KYB's, but when you purchase a shock a bit more expensive, you will be happy you did, just my opinion on the experiences I've had with them.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120538

If I built a street only car or track only car, Konis would be a must and the adjustabillity would be perfect for tuning.

With this car being a mixture of both I like a shock that will stay stiff, until I hit a huge Michigan pot hole (or a racoon for that matter).:rlaugh:

That was one of my reasonings for doing a progressive spring instead of a 620. Something is going to be under a tire sooner or later.:D