Which race mufflers?

its back

Jun 2, 2007
I bought WASHMO66's 66 coupe and after taking it to the track last night with open headers I want to put a set of race mufflers on it. I'm not looking for a reduction in volume just to dampen the "chrisp pop" that gives me a head ache after listening to it for a couple minutes. I'm thinking about Dynomax's 4" round bullets to mount directly behind the collectors with dumps. I'm not going to have a cross-over pipe just headers mufflers and dumps with as little piping between them as possible. Any opinions and suggestions are wlecome.

For those that aren't familiar with the car it has a 347 putting down over 400 hp & trq at the rear through a PA Super Comp C4 and Currie 9" with Detroit truetrac and 4.10 gears. I ran an 11.34 @117 & 1.583 60' as the better of my two passes.

• Sponsors (?)

I have used Dynomax race bullets many times.
They are straight through, like open pipe.
If I were you though, I would put them back by the rear end and turn them down.
They are not packed with fiberglass, so they are not as sensitive to extreme heat, but why chance it...

what happened to the exhaust that was on there?? I thought Todd had XR1's already.
I have it but I'm not sure which Borla muffler it has. I wouldn't have thought that I could feel that much of a difference with the XR-1s vs open. Besides it is tuned to run with about a foot long straight pipe with turn downs. So Todd had and I'm continueing to remove them when going to the track. Needless to say I can see I'm going to be getting tired of swapping and want a free flowing exhaust that muffles the exhaust note a little. Also the X-pipe has to go. I've already had a dozen people tell me that the exhaust is their only complaint and I completely agree.

Chad,

Those mufflers are XR1 race mufflers and that Xpipe is a Dr. Gas 3" to 2.5".

People don't like the exhaust sound with the current street set up? Most people that heard it said it sounded great.

Are you looking for a new track set up or a totally new set up for street and track?

I would suggest going with a 3" puipe off the header about 10" long to a 3" race bullet type muffler and dump it right after the muffler. This will be extremly loud for street duty and will give you a headache but should suit your track needs