who here knows what a subaru wrx (sti) is???

873Stang

Jun 19, 2006
riverside
ok .........so my goal is to beat an sti. those thing just walk all over me!!!!!! what would i have to do to beat them???? im all stock, motor has 88,000 on it
new z spec trans. and yea.........lol thx

what am i looking at:

heads

cam

headers

trak loc

intake

diffs 3:73's
anything else................?????????

• Sponsors (?)

the sti's out here or the ones i went up no way here running that they have to be running 12's 11's in the 1/4 but i know therenot stock either lol

whats the hp and torque specs for a stock 5.0ho

now thats what im tripping on!!!!!!!lol on a roll there gone dead start im on there bumper and thats if perfect launch it which im ok at,any advice on launching woud be greatly apreciated some timesim perfect other times im spinning for days lol

stock 5.0 is 225hp depending on year and torque is like 270 or 300 something along those lines.... 14 sec 1/4mile for a stock sti is BS I dont know where they got that number from but they are at least close to 13's with a decent driver...

Okay -- I was one of the first people to own a WRX when it first came out.. albeit a wagon.. in 2001 (it was an 02). I had that little 2.0 bitch pumpin out a good deal of power (444awhp, 414awtq). The secret? Forced Performance's FP series turbos.. The red :).

Anyway -- that little car was a rocketship for what it was worth but an absolute PIG from a roll. It never gave me any tranny issues that everyone bitched and moaned about. Then again I never beat the everloving piss out of it. I never really truly launched it... etc etc.

Great car.. sold it for 12,700$ to a guy in NJ after having it for three years and having to get back into a foxbody for my daiyl driver.

NOW -- the sti? Sorry I love subaru and all but it is an ugly boy racer with a shopping cart wing. Not only it a total midlife crisis mobile, along with the evo, but the shopping cart handle -style wing and the copious amounts of plastic. Then add the fact that the metal they are made out of crumples easier than my plastic garbage can.. the paint is thin and crappy.. etc etc. I could go on and on. Stupid little things here and there. As for an all out straight liner and corner carver? It fits the bill.. slap on a few bolt ons and a piggyback, throw in a tune and you are hitting 400awhp with no huge issues.

I have built subaru motors -- high strung, high power (700+awhp).. tuned the bitches from utec to motec to haltech to oh-noes-im-anooB-tried-to-tune-and-blew-my-motarz-up-tech.. I have also built plenty of pushrod 5.0/5.8 and quite a few above, below and inbetween

All in all? I would go with a 5.0 for bang for the buck.. ride it till it dies.. and beat the crap out of it while hanging the front tires 5 feet of the ground..... but for rolling out from a dig... the sti is kinda hard to beat.. awd launches like a ho jonsin for crack...

If i were you -- I'd lighten the crap out of your car.. rear seat delete, light seats (cobra daytonas are real nice -- $$ though, but I have them in two of my stangs), stiffen up the body.. no need to buy subframes or 'link' bars..just get some metal stock and a welder or a friend with a welder and make your own. It also doesnt hurt to weld your body seams/reinforce them.

Now as per the motor? Hmm.. well honestly -- I'm a carb man at heart. You take a 302..and put the general combo I have in my sig into it... but isntead of the ultradyne cam. get something off the shelf maybe.. with a little less lift and duration.. and bump up the compression a bit more (9.8 or 10.0 to 1).. get some 3.90 gears.. long tubes into X pipe into catback, and add a bit of spray and you'll be walking around hot to trot.

Honestly -- with a good driver and that combo.. you'll be ready to rock around pretty well -- just stay in your powerband (2800rpm+).

-Gered.

Okay -- I was one of the first people to own a WRX when it first came out.. albeit a wagon.. in 2001 (it was an 02). I had that little 2.0 bitch pumpin out a good deal of power (444awhp, 414awtq). The secret? Forced Performance's FP series turbos.. The red :).

Anyway -- that little car was a rocketship for what it was worth but an absolute PIG from a roll. It never gave me any tranny issues that everyone bitched and moaned about. Then again I never beat the everloving piss out of it. I never really truly launched it... etc etc.

Great car.. sold it for 12,700$ to a guy in NJ after having it for three years and having to get back into a foxbody for my daiyl driver.

NOW -- the sti? Sorry I love subaru and all but it is an ugly boy racer with a shopping cart wing. Not only it a total midlife crisis mobile, along with the evo, but the shopping cart handle -style wing and the copious amounts of plastic. Then add the fact that the metal they are made out of crumples easier than my plastic garbage can.. the paint is thin and crappy.. etc etc. I could go on and on. Stupid little things here and there. As for an all out straight liner and corner carver? It fits the bill.. slap on a few bolt ons and a piggyback, throw in a tune and you are hitting 400awhp with no huge issues.

I have built subaru motors -- high strung, high power (700+awhp).. tuned the bitches from utec to motec to haltech to oh-noes-im-anooB-tried-to-tune-and-blew-my-motarz-up-tech.. I have also built plenty of pushrod 5.0/5.8 and quite a few above, below and inbetween

All in all? I would go with a 5.0 for bang for the buck.. ride it till it dies.. and beat the crap out of it while hanging the front tires 5 feet of the ground..... but for rolling out from a dig... the sti is kinda hard to beat.. awd launches like a ho jonsin for crack...

If i were you -- I'd lighten the crap out of your car.. rear seat delete, light seats (cobra daytonas are real nice -- $$ though, but I have them in two of my stangs), stiffen up the body.. no need to buy subframes or 'link' bars..just get some metal stock and a welder or a friend with a welder and make your own. It also doesnt hurt to weld your body seams/reinforce them.

Now as per the motor? Hmm.. well honestly -- I'm a carb man at heart. You take a 302..and put the general combo I have in my sig into it... but isntead of the ultradyne cam. get something off the shelf maybe.. with a little less lift and duration.. and bump up the compression a bit more (9.8 or 10.0 to 1).. get some 3.90 gears.. long tubes into X pipe into catback, and add a bit of spray and you'll be walking around hot to trot.

Honestly -- with a good driver and that combo.. you'll be ready to rock around pretty well -- just stay in your powerband (2800rpm+).

-Gered.

:rlaugh: lmao dude you and i would get along good lol! thats some funny ****!!!!!

lol thx for the advice!!!!! i'm considering carb im getting sick of this suging idle and ****ty milage i minus well have carb lol to get that compress i go with dome pistons ???

Yeah you could go domed.. depends on the head syou go with.. you might be able to get away with doing flat tops and get like 9.8 or 9.75 to 1..

You happen to have another means of contact other than the forums.. an instant messaging client?

-Gered

The 6 speed really helps them out too. only an 1100 rpm drop between each gear 1-5. How bout that for keeping a turbo car in the powerband. My buddy had an 05 sti. He did ECU upgrade, 4" downpipe, and full 3" exhaust, no cat. His car was very fast for those few mods. He never "launched it" (clutch drop off the limiter) but that thing would leave the line hard.

My old '05 STi modded with a custom decklid, Brakeman brake kit, ACPT CF driveshaft, StaticX crank pulley, Bride Zetta III seats, Braille battery, JIC Spartan titanium catback, and K&N filter ran [email protected]. Again, my STi was running stock boost on the stock turbo with no engine management/tune.

All you need is traction and a bit of HP/TQ to beat the Subaru.

Mike