Wiring Issues - New swap, Need Help

SILENTCARL

Feb 15, 2007
I have been trying to do this swap for the last three months. I had the new motor in the car in a day, but the rest of the time, has been a wiring nightmare.

We bought a break-out box for the EEC IV.

This is a '91 dis car with a swap to a distributer Merkur motor. LA3 , Large Vam.

Problems include no fuel pump, no injectors firing, electric fan comes on immediately when the IRCM is energized from ignition on.

I put a new IRCM in.

Please help! Any ideas will be very appreciated.

-Carl

• Sponsors (?)

I guess I deserved that...

I did search, and I did follow Stinger's directions to the tee. Then re-re-re-re-re-re-checked all of the pin-outs. Then I went and got all of the wiring diagrams for both the LA3 equipped TC, and my '91 LX. And went through that and double checked.

I wish I understood why it was doing this. I was just looking for any ideas you guys may have before I rip out the entire wiring harness and replace it with one out of a older dizzy car.

Stinger Intercooler piping with my Volvo front-mount and Ranger Radiator:
img1382dd2.jpg

Attachments

• img1382dd2.jpg
    img1382dd2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 83
I would say you have some stray red/green striped wires in the harness that need to be soldered together. They are the signal return wires that go to all the sensors. When plugs are eliminated, the red/green wires are left open. Since they all run together in the stock harness, not doing so in the new "swap" harness will keep the injectors/sensors, etc. from being grounded.

Got it running. It sure is fun reading off of 3 wiring diagrams at once...

'86 svo harness converted to LA3 and placed in a '91 2.3 dis car.

It idles very rough. Almost like a super crazy cam in a v-8. It shakes the whole car. Don't understand that... Any things i should check on that? Any suggestions?

What do you guys think for timing, and base fuel pressure? Where should I be?

It was a simple problem that I am a little too embarrassed to tell you guys about. lol.

But, It runs fine. We have been finishing up all of the final wiring, but I drove it for the first time last night. I love that damn car. My truck is so boring...

Still, I set base timing at 10* and fuel pressure at 38 psi at idle. What should I be at?