You guys are gonna think I'm crazy......

The problem with selling a custom car of any kind is that you have to find the right buyer. Worth is only what someone is willing to pay. Personally, i would rather have a decent '93 Cobra or a clean '82 GT...but i would guess that you probably want more than i could find either of those for. I'm sure somewhere there's a baby boomer who would kill for a car like yours, you just have to advertise in the right places.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, the first place I'm going w/ it is the Sonic sponsored, Hemmings affiliated, Mid South specialty car auction may 5th.
I sent some recent pics to the guy running the show, and he thinks I ought to be able to get 20k for it. ( that's what I was hoping for)
It'll cost 150 to list it, and I don't pay any commission if it doesn't sell for my reserve. It's in Jackson tn. As a first attempt, I guess well see.

Good luck Mike, I hope it all works out for you :nice:

Honestly Mike? Yeah, you're nuts. Pickle the thing and put in a storage facility. Your description didn't sound to me like you're scrapping for dough to get the house projects done... More, it sounded like the house projects weren't getting done because maybe the fun money was all going into the car.

So store it. Don't put anything else into it for the time being. Let it sit in the back of your mind for a few months until you return to your senses. :O_o:

Good luck if you decide to sell it. It'll be interesting to see what it ends up going for. As mentioned the buying crowd for such a unique car is quite slim, and the list of those who will actually see your car being advertised/auctioned is slimmer yet.

Honestly Mike? Yeah, you're nuts. Pickle the thing and put in a storage facility. Your description didn't sound to me like you're scrapping for dough to get the house projects done... More, it sounded like the house projects weren't getting done because maybe the fun money was all going into the car.

So store it. Don't put anything else into it for the time being. Let it sit in the back of your mind for a few months until you return to your senses. :O_o:

Nope not hurting for money, just not making enough to do what I want to both the house, and be able to enjoy the car. The car is done. It want's for nothing. (well except the noisy gear set that we can't get to quieten down enough to be as it should.....:scratch: And there's the hot start problem that's probably a bad coil pack....Oh yeah, and it needs it's front end aligned after I centered the rack) but other than that junk,...it needs nothing.
The problem is, (and always will be) the obscene amount of time any money I devote to the hobby. Over the last 20 years, those 8 cars I was talking about????

$122,000.00 spent more or less.

The recoup on the sale(s) was less than half.

So, when I have a car, I have basically thrown away (as in burned) 300.00 a month, every month for 20 straight years.
And that "wasted money" doesn't include the gas and other expendables that was used up in pursuit of that hobby during that time.

Despite the fact that the last little items are relatively piddly, the usage of this car now becomes the new addiction. Cruise-ins every other weekend, Shows that require an over night (or more) stay, and hundreds of miles to get there to enjoy the design purpose of the car.

Mothballing the car is ludicrous. Summer is here! This is the first summer It's gonna be seen by the regional, and national car enthusiasts. I had a plan for may, ( Tupelo Cruise (2 day event)), June, (every damn local cruise night w/i 50 miles), and July,...Mustang week.
It makes no sense to me,...I built it to drive, and that doesn't mean to the grocery store, ( but I take it there every time I go) The hobby is best enjoyed at an event,.....and you gotta drive to get there.

I'm not burned out on the car. I talk myself hoarse at the cruise-ins,.....I love this car. I love looking at it, driving it, and talking about it. I like the people involved, and I really have a good time. Just like right now, I love talking about how I love talking about it.

What I don't love about it is up about 14 lines.

I figure it takes a progression to finally wean me of the need for such a diversion.
The last drag car was 40k+ of the number above. It took the several cars in front of it before I realized that I hate drag racing. I don't have any fun, It's hotter than bloody hell, and you're breaking something all the time. Race gas is Phucking insane, and the required arsenal of support junk you need to get it there is equally stupid. Bottom line,...I'm done w/ drag cars.

Now to work on killing off the need for anything other than a homegenous, plain white wrapper daily driver.:rolleyes:

I love the drag racing part, but then again I don't have to do it in Alabammy in the summer.:D For us "hot" might be 100 degrees but that is with 30% or less humidity. I went to a World Ford Challenge in Bowling Green Ky. one year and about died............... 98 degrees and 98% humidity. I don't know how those folks do it.

I hear ya on the drag racing part Mike. I spent many many weekends sweating my balls off in a racing suit and helmet waiting in the staging lanes for way longer than I wanted to because some moo moo dumped oil or coolant all over the track. I too was also sick of breaking stuff all the time on the Mustang when I raced it.

I hear ya on the drag racing part Mike. I spent many many weekends sweating my balls off in a racing suit and helmet waiting in the staging lanes for way longer than I wanted to because some moo moo dumped oil or coolant all over the track. I too was also sick of breaking stuff all the time on the Mustang when I raced it.
Well..........................if you had built the car to take the punishment it would not break now , would it?:rolleyes:

I love the drag racing part, but then again I don't have to do it in Alabammy in the summer.:D For us "hot" might be 100 degrees but that is with 30% or less humidity. I went to a World Ford Challenge in Bowling Green Ky. one year and about died............... 98 degrees and 98% humidity. I don't know how those folks do it.

Try doing it in a -20 fire suit. That's dash 20! The last turbo car ran on Meth. Rules at that time stipulated that damn snowmobile suit, because of the invisibility of an alcohol related fire. I lasted about 6 races in that garb before I asked myself what the hell I was doing?
Racers are racers, and they tough that sh it out because they enjoy and thrive on it. (ask any F/C or T/F guy how they can stand that suit and they'll shrug it off like it's just part of the deal.) Those who pretend to be come and go. It took stepping into a pro class before I realized that I was kidding myself.

And,.... To answer your comment about good stuff helping to fend off parts breakage.....You can put the best stuff you can buy in a race motor to try and stay ahead of the destruction, It's all just a matter of time

One more time:

enginecompartment010uh2.jpg

363 R block, Oliver Billet rods, Billet Crank, Ross 12:1 pistons, 16 Motorsport 160lb injectors, 95 mm Borg Warner turbo,TEA ported Trick flow R's sporting Titanium valves, retainers and Vasco jet springs and a belt driven Aeromotive FP delivering 17 gallons a minute worth of volume. There was a Huges Ultraglide behind that, and a 35 spline, full spooled 8.8 that looked like it had Polio it was braced so much.

Good stuff?

When one of those injectors decides to clog,......bad stuff happens............ Bad, bad stuff.

So with exception of those few items, it's done. You honestly think getting rid of it is going to cure the bug, while you drive around in your Ford Focus? :nonono:

No, I know it'll still be there, just like a drug addiction. But a drug addict has to distance himself from the source of the addiction if he want's to get on with his life. So will I.

Sounds like a plan... I'll supply the materials though. It's the least I could do. :nice:
Great!,...It'll be just like I'm working on my own junk then.:banana:

I mean after all,...Even if I do sell it,....Even if I get 20k for it,...Even if I only consider my build labor worth $7.25 an hour. I'll still have thrown away $7,250.00 on this one,
so doing yours for free will be no different.:dead:

You know Mike, bad as I hate to admit it, Noobz does have a very solid point. When a man catches the car bug it may go into remission, but it never goes away completely. I've sold several because I was "done" only to spend more later when the bug hit again. Your red car is paid for, and once sold another will only cost more money to aquire. You're kidding yourself if you think you'll get out of cars forever. Giving up tobacco was easier for me.

Maybe the answer isn't selling the car, it's just put it on hold or store it. Like I said, my boat's in storage and has been for a year plus. Costs me $100 to put it in the water, but Lately I've been wanting to pull it out and I'm glad I still got it-No way could I afford to buy another.

Great!,...It'll be just like I'm working on my own junk then.:banana:

I mean after all,...Even if I do sell it,....Even if I get 20k for it,...Even if I only consider my build labor worth $7.25 an hour. I'll still have thrown away $7,250.00 on this one,
so doing yours for free will be no different.:dead:

Ahhhhh... the dawn lights. :)