10 sec build, help needed.

Blown95Cobra said:
I'm gonna use a turbo since I can crank up the boost on race gas and then turn it down on pump. I had thought about a blow through setup but I'm not sure yet. Is there any reason you chose a blower over a turbo?

Duh,there much easier to set-up,I mean just look at whats involved with a turbo...

Blower is basicly a bracket,head unit,pulleys and belt.If you want ot control boost with a switch or thumb wheel,get a electronic blow off valve,it can dump any excess pressure.

Also,a supercharger will really pump up your top-end.Because unlike a turbo,the more rpms your turning the more boost your making.So you can use a smaller cam,more streetable cam,and shift like 1000rpm higher than what the spec sheet might call for and still be making great power (were as a turbo might fall off a little on boost).

But turbos are cool too,its just I get tired of hearing about how there the best and crap like that.And I would hate to change plugs on a turbo car.And they get hot and burn stuff....

This is why I run nitrous... :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Well guys.. not to be a pain in the Buti.. you guys over look the stock Big Block. I mean the block holds up well to HP, 557Ci is easy. My 545 rotating assy cost $1200 a HP boost from aftermarket heads another $1800.. Even stock heads will get you 1 hp per CI.

Not trying to disrupt the thread but Cheap HP can be had from a BBF, throw a turbo at that and.. well Lol! :jaw:

Later on..

Les

Blown95Cobra said:
I'm gonna use a turbo since I can crank up the boost on race gas and then turn it down on pump. I had thought about a blow through setup but I'm not sure yet. Is there any reason you chose a blower over a turbo?

The combo is 100% built for NMRA Drag Radial, I feel the blower combo would allow be to be the most compeditive so I went that direction. I decided to give the blow through a shot since I have sold my EFI Engine Managment system, fuel injectors, meter and entire race fuel system to go to a carb N2O set-up. The Guys were spraying 600hp+ and still getting their butts handed to them by the blower and turbo cars, and they were melting a lot of pistons.

Hence the switch to a blower... Shooting to be out by June, can't wait!

bbf545 said:
Well guys.. not to be a pain in the Buti.. you guys over look the stock Big Block. I mean the block holds up well to HP, 557Ci is easy. My 545 rotating assy cost $1200 a HP boost from aftermarket heads another $1800.. Even stock heads will get you 1 hp per CI.

Not trying to disrupt the thread but Cheap HP can be had from a BBF, throw a turbo at that and.. well Lol! :jaw:

Later on..

Les

The biggest issue I have with the big Block is the crappy weight distribution on a fox body.... You can over come something when it is a race only car but on the street for handling it is still a ton of weight up front.

Bluevenom: You have some good points about the blower. I'm still gonna have to compare power potential and prices.

BBF545: I had looked at doing a 460 swap but I didnt see any springs that were for a big block swap so I decided against it for suspension reasons.

Rick91GT: Why did you decide to spray a carb setup over an EFI setup?

Can I use a normal carb for a blow through or do I need a special carb?

Rick 91GT said:
The Guys were spraying 600hp+ and still getting their butts handed to them by the blower and turbo cars, and they were melting a lot of pistons.

Hence the switch to a blower... Shooting to be out by June, can't wait!

Rick,you saw the nitrous kits made by WON?

www.wizardsofnos.com

I would like to get a full set-up someday...

bluevenom867 said:
Duh,there much easier to set-up,I mean just look at whats involved with a turbo...

Also,a supercharger will really pump up your top-end.Because unlike a turbo,the more rpms your turning the more boost your making.So you can use a smaller cam,more streetable cam,and shift like 1000rpm higher than what the spec sheet might call for and still be making great power (were as a turbo might fall off a little on boost).

But turbos are cool too,its just I get tired of hearing about how there the best and crap like that.And I would hate to change plugs on a turbo car.And they get hot and burn stuff....

This is why I run nitrous... :flag:
Honestly, I think you need to do a little research about turbos before posting up a bunch of miss-information. Turbo cars actually use more streetable cams, and boost will not fall off(unless your using the wrong turbo for you rapplication). etc... I could go on for days... But then again turbo's are not for everyone. I think if you have never built or owned a turbo mustang you should not comment on them.

onefaststang said:
Honestly, I think you need to do a little research about turbos before posting up a bunch of miss-information. Turbo cars actually use more streetable cams, and boost will not fall off(unless your using the wrong turbo for you rapplication). etc... I could go on for days... But then again turbo's are not for everyone. I think if you have never built or owned a turbo mustang you should not comment on them.

Umm...what?

The only thing I said about a turbo that a blower has an advantage on it boost keeps rising as rpm increase.Any turbo will eventualy fall off on boost,I didnt say it would fall on on power,just boost.

I also never said anytihg about a supercharger using a more streetable cam over a turbo,I think more streetable compared to an n/a cam.Turbo/blower cams really are basicly the same,just minor little differances.

I have been around enough turbo cars,thank you...

My question is how is that an advantage? Yes, the boost keeps rising as the rpm's increase, would you rather have peak boost just about all the way through the RPM range, or only at your shift point? Fall off? I dunno about that...

89Notch said:
My question is how is that an advantage? Yes, the boost keeps rising as the rpm's increase, would you rather have peak boost just about all the way through the RPM range, or only at your shift point? Fall off? I dunno about that...

Its not an advantage,just a fact... :p

And really with out an intercooler the heat nullifys any power boost will make,for both the super and turbo chargers.

bluevenom867 said:
...a blower has an advantage on it boost keeps rising as rpm increase...

yup you said advantage

bluevenom867 said:
I have been around enough turbo cars,thank you...

been around enough turbo cars? your profile says you are 16... :rolleyes:

bluevenom867 said:
And really with out an intercooler the heat nullifys any power boost will make,for both the super and turbo chargers.

So you're saying any s/c without an IC will not increase horsepower? There must be a lot of people out there wasting their money then???

89Notch said:
yup you said advantage

been around enough turbo cars? your profile says you are 16... :rolleyes:

So you're saying any s/c without an IC will not increase horsepower? There must be a lot of people out there wasting their money then???

It depends on your apllication,a V8 (well maybe a small one?) wouldnt really benift from more rpm just to increase boost (whitch basicly is extending the power band a little more over n/a),but a smaller motor it would certainly work well.I would use it to turn more rpm,then use a steeper gear to take advantage of it,or keep the gear the samew and get a few more mph out of it.

And why does my age matter?

At high boost levels...you know that.

Take for instance I saw a dyno test with a rotors style blower that basicly once it got up into the 20-25lbs of boost range,the intake temps were through the roof.The motor just stoped making anymore power even though the boost gauge was going up.An intercooler or nitrous would fix that,and you know you got a heat problem when a "75hp" shot of nitrous gives you +200hp.

onefaststang said:

x2... that guy is just dead wrong about turbos. Their cams are the more streetable. They make more power on the top end, and boost does not fall off unless something is wrong.

Chris

FastDriver said:
x2... that guy is just dead wrong about turbos. Their cams are the more streetable. They make more power on the top end, and boost does not fall off unless something is wrong.

Chris

Ok,I really dont see a big differnace in turbo and blower cams,there very similar.

The exhaust housing/impeller on a turbo has to become a restriction eventualy,I would think faster than a larger open header.The restriction will eventualy have to cause the boost to fall off,it might be at 10K rpm,you might never go to that,but it must fall off eventualy.

Now that is something I disagree with,I dont see how a turbo will beat a supercharger on the top-end,unless the blower had an unusual amount of drag to deal with.

In my expierence with any custom cam I use, the TURBO and BLOWER cams are TOTALLY different :shrug:

They work on different principles and to use them to your advantage the timing events are different. The @ .050 numbers may look similar but what is going on is very different.