12s anyone?

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
So I've been reading through your sigs, trying to look for times. I was wondering what all it takes to run mid to high 12s in the s197 on street tires without the use of FI/nitrous. What I'm getting at is, I want to know how one would build a daily driven, 12-second stang.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

A good 93 octane tune, C&L Racer with 88mm maf tube, long tubes with a free flowing muffler, Steeda UDPs, Steeda CMCVs, and an aluminum driveshaft should get you there. If not than you need more practice at the track.

So I've been reading through your sigs, trying to look for times. I was wondering what all it takes to run mid to high 12s in the s197 on street tires without the use of FI/nitrous. What I'm getting at is, I want to know how one would build a daily driven, 12-second stang.

Thanks in advance.

Add up the cost of all the typical bolt on's - especially headers, cams, etc. - and forced induction can be less expensive. Sure, there are lots of expensive blowers & turbos out there, but there are basic ones, as well, that are quite affordable.

I went with the most basic, non-intercooled supercharger out there (a Vortech V2 S-trim). $3700 for the complete kit (including injectors, fuel pumps, tuner, blower, brackets, inlet/discharge tubes, surge valve, high flow air filter, etc.). $900 to install. $450 to dyno tune. Last week I ran a 12.57 @ 110+ in the 1/4 mile.

Staying N/A and running mid 12's is easy, but the cost is about the same as a basic blower. And a basic blower is easy to upgrade for much more power. You are very limited staying N/A.

I'm told it can be done with a CAI, good dyno tune, LCA's, Alum DS, DR's, good track, and (most importantly) a good driver.

I don't have the DR's or Alum DS yet, but my traps are saying I should be running real close to the 13.00 barrier. I am removing the heavy GT500 rims/tires and I'm hoping to get some DR's on my OEM rims in Oct. ...so we'll see what she does with about 40lbs less rotational mass and more bite off the line.

+1 on what NastyStang said.. add some 4:10s and stickies and your pretty much in like sin no questions asked... ! I SUCK MONKEY ASS at the the track, and im gettin better and with my mods in my sig plus a set of stickies I ran a 12.9. Pratice makes perfect. Ive seen guys in Z06's run 14's just because they have no track time. Get a driver in the seat and its a whole new ball game

Add up the cost of all the typical bolt on's - especially headers, cams, etc. - and forced induction can be less expensive. Sure, there are lots of expensive blowers & turbos out there, but there are basic ones, as well, that are quite affordable.

I went with the most basic, non-intercooled supercharger out there (a Vortech V2 S-trim). $3700 for the complete kit (including injectors, fuel pumps, tuner, blower, brackets, inlet/discharge tubes, surge valve, high flow air filter, etc.). $900 to install. $450 to dyno tune. Last week I ran a 12.57 @ 110+ in the 1/4 mile.

Staying N/A and running mid 12's is easy, but the cost is about the same as a basic blower. And a basic blower is easy to upgrade for much more power. You are very limited staying N/A.
Good point.
That's how things go for 2v GTs and I was wondering if the 3v's are any different.

I have run 13.3 @ 101 with just a SLP LM axleback, SCT X-Cal 2 and MT ET Street Slicks at a DA( Density Altitude) of 2500 feet above sea level.

I really would have liked to try out my FRPP CMCV deletes, JLT CAI, FRPP X-pipe and Aluminum DS but that will have to wait until next year as my track is closed for the rest of the year. Those mods should have me well in to the 12's.

Thanks in advance.

4.10's, Intake + a good Tune and being a good driver. That's really all you need for high 12's in the S197.

I ran consistent 12.8's with Intake+Tune, H-Pipe, Pulleys, 4.10's, Stock suspension, stock shifter and MT ET Streets. I'm positive that with how much better I've gotten at shifting, I'd net a lower ET however my N/A setup is long gone.

i have an 06 auto with c&l intake sct93 octane tune mac axle back and 4;10s i ran a 12.9 at 106 , doesnt take much to get into the 12s great track prep and stock tires

mine went [email protected] best mph was 104 on a 1.96 60' last year...mods at the time were off road xpipe and mac axle back. I just got an xcal 3 with a vmp tune so we'll see what happens. The goal is 12.9 with the 3.31's....bascially full exhaust, a tune, gears, dr's you have a mid to high 12 second car given a decent driver.

mine went [email protected] best mph was 104 on a 1.96 60' last year...mods at the time were off road xpipe and mac axle back. I just got an xcal 3 with a vmp tune so we'll see what happens. The goal is 12.9 with the 3.31's....bascially full exhaust, a tune, gears, dr's you have a mid to high 12 second car given a decent driver.

That's very impressive for the 3.31's. I thought all along you had 3.55's. 3VStangGT (on SFS) got a 13.0 with 3.55's, XCal2 with Brenspeed Tune and the JLT Intake. He was also borrowing my spare set of DR's

All this talk about N/A makes me tempted to run a few passes N/A when Moroso re-opens.

i'm picking up my lcas saturday.

i've got the ford racing drag pack -shorties, cai, short throw shifter, 4.10s. a tune for 91 octane and i'd like to do a diablosport tune, for 93 octane.

during the winter i am going to buy new rims, and then mount a set of slick on my stockers.

after getting some seat time, i am hoping for 12.8 or so. the track is at 178 above sea level.

The last time out (Sept 20), I ran a 13.099 at full weight(Shaker 1000 box/amps, spare and jack). I removed the already mentioned items plus the rear and passenger seat and could only improve to a 13.022:shrug: I wasn't losing time off the line thanks to the MT ET Streets as I had NO tire spin, but maybe the gradual temperature increase made that much of a difference. I pulled a 1.99 60' time with the 13.099 as the tires hadn't been properly heated up yet:( On the 13.022 pass, the 60' time dropped to 1.901:nice: All that was done with the go mods in my sig. Hopefully I can get back to the track before the end of the season and take advantage of cooler air and run my 12 before more winter mods.

i'm picking up my lcas saturday.
I just installed mine a few weeks ago. Seems like the hardest part was taking the parking brake cable out of its bracket and replacing it:D I even had the relocation brackets which add more time and work, but still a piece of cake!

nice. i was supposed to order mine basically a month ago. but just been putting it off, and now i'm going to cj pony parts directly, and picking them up.

if i went with adjustable ones, would i still benefit from the relocation bracket?