90stang5speed Rear Mounted Turbo Project Thread

• Sponsors (?)

I was kind of thinking that too. I need to find some salvage yards in the Columbus Ga area. I had a taurus fan but got rid of that too when I found a mark VIII fan. I should learn to hold on to things longer. I would like to find a cheap stock hood too. I saw an episode of Muscle Car where the guy made a fiberglass lift off hood using the stock hood as a mold. I would like to give that a try. What I would do is make a sheet metal version of the Stalker II hood with a 2.5-3 inch cowl & maybe add a heat extractor vent up front.

For starters I like the project and congrats for being on the innovative side and welding all piping up.

I am on the fence with this. But, for the most part I am in agreement with the "why put it in the car?"

Even the folks with the F-bodys that put a turbo in the rear agree it loses a lot of potential performance through all the piping and having to extend everything to get it to work. I know there is a lot of heat soak in an engine bay (live in AZ) but without that fresh air I would think it would be about the same to have it inside the car. It also looks like you change piping size at the passenger seat area. Was it easier to do this? I am more curious than anything and I hope you dont take this as a bashing. I doubt I possess the skills to weld in my bolt on exhaust let alone conceive what you have done thus far.

Either way. I cant wait to see it and hear it. I bet sitting right in front of it has got to get loud. Good luck with it and keep plugging away.

1bad67sbf. I would like to get a sound clip posted up soon. maybe this weekend if I can get the tune dialed in a little better & redo the turbo plumbing to delete the inner cooler in the back. right now Im having a hesitation problem that I think is related to the MAF transfer function being off. The turbo works pretty well as a muffler but Im sure the neighbors hate it when I fire it up.

Old Blue, I dont take it as a bashing. Its more like constructive criticism. The pipe changes from 3" to 4" after the the BOV because, from what I have read, Its best to have at least 8-10" of the same size pipe as the MAF before & after the MAF. The 90mm LMAF is 4" so I have a 20+ inch long pipe before the LMAF & a 12" pipe after the LMAF going to the TB. Turbulance shouldnt be much of a problem that way. Im also thinking that by going from 3 to 4" pipe it would drop the PSI a little but the air volume would be there & the pressure drop might drop a the air charge temp just a little. Who knows, it might not make a difference at all.

I'm going to say this as nice as possible.
Before it's too late do the right thing and relocate the turbo to under the hood and the intercooler to the grill (where it belongs).

Jb weld on the injector bungs, are you insane? If it makes any boost they are going to blow out like missles.
There's a million efi intakes, buy one, it's safer and wiser.

While setup is different, safe or effective, it's likely not.

Turbo setups have been around on foxbody race cars for years.
Pick one and duplicate it. You aren't going to find any with the intercooler and the turbo inside the drivers compartment, i'd be surprised if that was even legal.

I'm going to say this as nice as possible.
Before it's too late do the right thing and relocate the turbo to under the hood and the intercooler to the grill (where it belongs).

Jb weld on the injector bungs, are you insane? If it makes any boost they are going to blow out like missles.
There's a million efi intakes, buy one, it's safer and wiser.

Whether or not the turbo belongs in the engine compartment, He won't be the first one to put an intercooler inside the car. All you have to do is follow just about any of the "outlaw" H/U racing series Like ORSCA , and take a look at one of the drag radial turbo classes. In the passenger seat, there is a big-assed Air to water intercooler sitting either in the passenger seat or somewhere inside the cabin, big as life. Makes it through tech everyday.

As for the "epoxied" injector bungs,... He won't be first one to do that either.
enginecompartment010uh2.jpg

enginecompartment002cd0.jpg

There weren't any 302 based intakes to accomodate 16 injectors when I did this, There wasn't anything left of the intake runners after they were milled to accept the rails the injectors were plugged into. The entire assembly was epoxied onto the intake (although it wasn't JB) There simply wasn't enough room to get a tig in behind the rails. And when it was all dry, you couldn't beat the rails off with a hammer.
You can bet this setup saw a "little" more boost than his will.

While setup is different, safe or effective, it's likely not.

Turbo setups have been around on foxbody race cars for years.
Pick one and duplicate it. You aren't going to find any with the intercooler and the turbo inside the drivers compartment, i'd be surprised if that was even legal.

While I wouldn't have done it, (like that matters) STS has been putting the turbo in kits back where the muffler is for years now too. I guess it'll remain to be seen whether or not the combo works, Safe? I've aired my concerns on here too. As for legal, all I can say is you need to move to the south.

Looks good safe or not who gives a ****!As long as you like it!If anything you might need to weld a bulk head in there to seperate you from the turbo????As far as your LMAF goes....that thing maxes out at 400HP!Intake ya got a part number and also for the elbow?Will a accufab TB bolt up to that fine???? peace

john:p

The JB welded injector bungs was not an original idea. I actually got the idea from a 460 big block forum. that guy made some big boost with his and it did fine. Mike, two 150 lb injectors per cyl is just bad a**. I thought the LMAF would be good to go since it came out on a super charged 351. 400HP is all it can flow? If thats the case, that kind of sucks. I don't like buying parts twice but, if I peg the LMAF out, what 90mm MAF would you guys recommend? I dont have a part # handy for the intake & elbow but you can find them at summit. The intake is a summit stage IV. the elbow is from edelbrock. they have 3 to choose from. Low profile, the one I have, & a taller one. windows will be up at the track. There are enough holes in the body for the turbo to suck air through though.

Good point. A small fan like say, one that would fit on a trans cooler might be a good way to go.

A fan to look into using is an engine bay blower fan for a boat. They are used to evacuate fuel fumes from the engine bay. They are intended to be ran for long periods of time, are relatively quiet, easy to mount, and I think they would accomplish what you're looking for. Sometimes they are called bilge blower fans. Here's a pic of one:

boat-in-line-bilge-blower-53814.jpg

Whether or not the turbo belongs in the engine compartment, He won't be the first one to put an intercooler inside the car. All you have to do is follow just about any of the "outlaw" H/U racing series Like ORSCA , and take a look at one of the drag radial turbo classes. In the passenger seat, there is a big-assed Air to water intercooler sitting either in the passenger seat or somewhere inside the cabin, big as life. Makes it through tech everyday.

Air to water and air to air are two very different things. The air to air needs a flow of ambient air to cool it. If that thing sees boost, its just going to keep soaking the heat, even with fans on it, wheres the hot air going to go? Its just going to recirculate. As far as the air to water argument... Theres a reason they make intercooler blankets for those. Have you ever seen one explode. It takes the whole car out. Plus, an A/W doent use AIR to cool it.

You know when you pay too much attention to this forum when you use an iPhone to respond because the tornados have caused so much havoc here. Anyway, I didn't say that putting an a/a intercooler inside was the right thing to do, I said a/w intercoolers are put in all the time. And i get it that when one goes it's pretty bad. From what I'm seeing, I think he'll dump the I/c idea altogether. Regardless, the pressures that cause a I/c to blow are a little "north" of the 10-15 psi he plans for.

NikwoaC, That is an interesting fan idea. Im guessing that is something a local marine shop would keep on the shelf? Like Mike said, the inner cooler is going to be going away most likely. When I came up with the idea, I didnt think about the fact that even if I put fans on it, they would just blow the hot air around the cab only to be sucked in by the turbo. I might just have to come up with a plan that ducts cool air into the cab, through the fan toward the turbo intake & exiting through the floor hopefully taking the exhaust heat with it.

You can eliminate the MAF all together and just weld in a piece of pipe!THEN contact chris at PMAS 919-779-4153 tell him you need a 05+ slotted MAF and flange and the solder in harness for a fox wireing harness.He is also on corral,he is the best customer service i have ever delt with anywhere!Tell him i sent you his way!Thanks for the info on the elbow and intake,that will be added soon also to my 393 turbo!!peace

john:p

Thanks for the suggestions on the ducting guys. The roof scoop sounds cool in a way. It might look a little too much like the eclipse from The Fast & The Furious though. I was thinking of making functional side scoops. I was already planning to widen my rear fenders & will most likely incorporate the side scoops into that. It might end up looking like that body kit Skunk21 posted in “the most stupidest mods” thread lol. If I do the scoops, the one on the driver’s side would be ducted to a fan of some type to the top of a box covering the hot side of the turbo & then out through the floor. The one on the passenger side would be ducted to supply cool air to the inlet side of the turbo.
Smokedya, the 05+ maf that you speak of, are you saying to just use a stock 05 MAF sensor in a 4” tube? I will give them a call about it as I don’t think I’m fallowing what you’re saying on that. Not saying you’re wrong so, don’t take that as an insult. I think it’s cool that you want to use the same intake set up. Edelbrock makes the Vic Jr with injector bungs if you want to go an easier way. The stage IV was over $100 cheaper & I just wanted the challenge of making it myself. I had to make a custom hold down bracket for the fuel rails as the supplied brackets wouldn’t work with the Summit Stage IV. It’s a it’s all one piece. It’s mounted to the 4 studs that the elbow mounts to & to the 2 center bolts of the intake on each side. I used 3 carb base gaskets layered, manifold, gasket, fuel rail bracket, gasket, 1” carb spacer, gasket, TB elbow. I’m sure you would have figured that out but, I was just trying to be helpful.

I kind of like the side scoop idea though. Who knows, I might even have to steal Mike’s (MadMike1157) idea of the 69 tail lights too someday lol. I started working on a cardboard template for the scoops last night but nothing worth taking pics of yet. The scoops are easy to duplicate from side to side but Im not sure how to widen the fenders symmetrically from side to side.