Accident... My 88GT is wrecked!!! pics inside..

Cutter1024

Apr 23, 2010
Ephrata, PA
So going to work this morning, someone pulled out in front of me on rt. 23 in chester county PA. I was doing 50-55mph which the speed limit is 55. Some guy was pulling out of his driveway and never looked, or he said he couldnt see because of the hump in the grass or something.... I smacked him in the driverside rear. I think they will total my car. The cop that showed up said he has a valid policy but is not 100% its for the vehicle he is driving. Now this might suck if this car he is driving is not covered. I guess I will have to take him to small claims court. If i have to do this.... how do i value my car to try and get that money? I will also add 1 day of work since i had to call off due to this, and 2 new tires I just got installed on my car YESTERDAY! The damage in on the driverside, BUT.... I noticed the pass. fender is creased.... so i think it may have frame damage. What should i do if this guy has no insurance? Also what is the going rate for a 88 mustang GT with 94k original miles?

I also was selling my car and just got a $1000 down on my car LAST WEEK, and was driving it untill i picked up my jeep i was buying in a few days. I have a bill of sale from the deposit me and my buyer made saying he was paying $3500 for it. I could maybe use that if I have to go to court? What do you guys think?..... pic below...

197832_1674776787749_1187322879_2154976_3463472_n.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That really really sucks. I feel for you man. If you go to court I would make sure you get some kind of written documentation from at least a couple places that can value your car for what it's worth. Just don't go in empty handed. Them judges like to see written documentation. Good luck to you!

Man, that sucks. :(

Well, a copy of the bill of sale for $3500 showing the car was sold might help. But depending on the state, if you accepted a bill of sale, and a down payment, you probably should not have been driving the car since it wasn't yours. I dunno, that might open a can of worms up depending on your state's laws and such.

I'd look around and see what similar vehicles are going for in your area.

if the guy has a valid insurance policy though, it should still cover your vehicle. He might not get his car fixed, but his policy should follow him to any car he is driving and cover him if he hits a car, or pedestrian, etc. At least that's how it works in MA...sorta.

Either way, good luck. This is kinda why I insure my mustang under specialized insurance. Book value on these cars is peanuts and always a headache when one gets totalled.

I live in PA, and we wrote the bill of sale out for $3500 with a $1000 deposit put down, but both me and the buyer knew i was going to drive it. At least untill I found another vehicle which I was going to get this week. We both agreed to that. We didnt do title transfer or anything like that, so technically the car was still mine and insured under my name. I have liability only, and hopefully his insurance picks this up and a rental for me to drive untill I get the money. Or else its small claims court for me and him.

That really really sucks. I feel for you man. If you go to court I would make sure you get some kind of written documentation from at least a couple places that can value your car for what it's worth. Just don't go in empty handed. Them judges like to see written documentation. Good luck to you!

Where would I go to get documentation showing what the cars accually worth? Thats a good idea...

You have a long road ahead of you. Hope you didnt spend that guys grand...I think hes going to want it back. Hate to say it but if his insurance is invalid and you didnt have collision, then you could go to court and sue him(at your expense) could be a year and you could get a judgement against him and he may still not pay you. As I said a long road ahead.

I think it's unlikely you did any frame damage that far up. The core support probably shifted over into the passenger fender. It really doesn't look that bad in honesty, but it's probably totaled just because a good paint job is worth more than the car. 2 new fenders, a core support, possibly some of the steering linkage and suspension, a radiator and fan, and new accessories, brackets, and pullies if you damaged them too, a paint job, and she'll probably be good as new.

Chris

I just seen the passanger side fender was crinkled. I took some more pics with my phone and will try and upload them. I sure hope his insurance was valid. Like i said... he has insurance as he has a valid policy.... i just dont know if his policy was for the vehicle he was driving at the time. Lets hope for the best. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.. :)

I'm not sure what kind of shops are out in PA but there's a couple specific Mustang shops in my area and I know one of them does appraisals. They'll probably give a closer appraisal for what it's worth rather than some joe smoe place. But one problem is if a shop is willing to do that. Meaning...giving you an appraisal of the car's worth "before your accident". Now that I think of it I'm not sure about this. I would at least call around and explain your situation and see what options you have. Hope things work out for you.

What you need to do is collect information on sales of comparable cars. Go to eBay and check completed auctions for similar cars. Print them out. Go to Craigslist and find similar cars with decent asking prices. Print those out. Collect receipts for everything that has been done to the car by you. That way, when the insurance company tries to give you $700 for your old Mustang, you can say "Hey, look at all this." One friend of mine recently had his 84 Ranger hit hard in the rear and the insurance company totalled it. They were going to give him $400. After a two month fight as described above, he ended up with $1550. Another friend had his modified Integra stolen. They were going to give him $1800 for it. By using what I've described here, he ended up getting over $4000 from them. It may take some work, but you should come out okay.

Oh, and you have to give the guy back his $1000.