Cobra emblems on a non-Cobra

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Stupid question here. Usually i am 100% against slapping cobra emblems on the side of a GT or LX...

but tonight i was talking to a buddy about a potential combo i wanted to run. He replied "wow, i'd toss some cobra emblems on the side of the car after that"

I was gonna say no way, but this is the combo i REALLY want to put together over the neaxt few years.

My '88 5.0 LX

- Cobra 4-wheel disk brakes w/brembo 2000 R calipers
- 03/04 Cobra engine
- pulley, tune, cams 500HP+ desired
- 6-spd tranny
- Cobra IRS

Now, if i took the 5.0's off and slapped a couple worms on the fenders...would you still be outraged even if you knew what was in the car? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

if you put that combo together, i could care less if you have cobra badges on the car. its still bad ass regardless. after all its just a badge, if you dont like it, take it off. who cares what other people think, its not their car

I would only do it if it had that combo & a full 93 Cobra body kit, otherwise it would look like a Fobra with the GT bumper/ sideskirts on the car....

Personally, if it were my car, I would go badgeless just to hide what I had under the hood, but thats just me....

This seems to be a recurring topic. The way I look at it, and it has been said above, it's the owners car, and what they like. Personally I don't mind them. I , like almost everyone else here, can tell a real deal cobra from an LX or GT, weather it has a badge or not. I actually saw a black one on a flatbed an hour ago on the 405.

It's just an emblem. Maybe some put them on their LX or GT they upgraded with a cobra intake, or Cobra body kit. No sweat of my back. Kind of funny though. Even though I don't mind them, I won't put them on my LX, because I know for the simple fact, people would just clown on me, or make remarks, etc about it. I say if you like them, than that's all that matters. This is just my personal opinion.

First, let me start by saying if it was mine I wouldn't put cobra badges on anything thats not a real cobra. (Some call them posers.) However with a car like that, I might have my painter "ghost" in some cobra badges (with paint) where the emblems would go on the '93 cobra. Kind of a comprimise imo. It's unique, and you really wouldn't be claiming it was a Cobra by putting "real" Cobra badges on it. But merely making a reference to the power of the Cobras.:nice:

To me this is no different than if you put Shelby emblems on your car. It just isn't true and makes no sense. A Cobra is a Cobra and if a car isn't a Cobra then it shouldn't wear the badges saying that it is. You may as well put a Cimmins Turbo Diesel emblem on there while you're at it....it makes just as much sense.

Of course, that's just my opinion and in the end i say do what makes ya happy.

To me this is no different than if you put Shelby emblems on your car. It just isn't true and makes no sense. A Cobra is a Cobra and if a car isn't a Cobra then it shouldn't wear the badges saying that it is. You may as well put a Cimmins Turbo Diesel emblem on there while you're at it....it makes just as much sense.

Of course, that's just my opinion and in the end i say do what makes ya happy.

Word.

A 1993 Cobra came with basically the same engine as an LX or GT, save for said parts we all know about (which like the emblems, are easy to find).
Some people don't care about factory this or original that. Some do

A 1993 Cobra came with basically the same engine as an LX or GT, save for said parts we all know about (which like the emblems, are easy to find)
Eh? What? Err?...:nono: Drivetrain (including engine's intake, heads, tranny, etc.) was way different, trust me I have the '93 GT and my buddy had the Cobra. I've driven them both, there's a huge difference. A few bucks and a couple badges aren't gonna make em even.

Eh? What? Err?...:nono: Drivetrain was way different, trust me I have the '93 GT and my buddy had the Cobra. I've driven them both, there's a huge difference. A few bucks and a couple badges aren't gonna make em even.

I said Basically the same engine, not drivetrain or any other part of the car. Also like I said, we all know the difference in heads, intake, injectors, etc., etc. I've driven a teal one myself, and know the overall package and perfomance is better.

The point I was trying to make was that a cobra emblem on a fox, isn't like putting cobra badges on your stock '65 I6 coupe. To me, the Cobra emblem on an LX or GT is no different than a police interceptor emblem on an SSP. It's just someone's personal
preference.

Can be good or bad, putting Cobra emblem on. You'll be representing what a Cobra is to some people that have no clue what a Cobra is and if you dont have all the correct Cobra equipment on they might think thats how it supose to look like. " oh look at that Cobra!".

I feel if its your car and you want it on there, then it shouldn't matter what anyone say's. You paid for the car and its yours.

Your car will be a hybridized custom, so I like the idea of doing it custom (air-brushing, custom badging, something that Tom makes for you, etc) or no badges at all.

Personally, if wanting to draw attention to it (as opposed to no badges), I'd rather see badging that notes the Terminator powerplant. That will get noticed the same way that snakes would, but without any possibility of misperception.

I love the idea for the car though. Will the interior get swapped too?

I love the idea for the car though. Will the interior get swapped too?

Yes, been looking for an 01-04 dark charcoal dash and console but every one i've found so far has been $$$$. If i didn't have a black interior i would press harder to get this done...but i kinda like the black fox stuf.

Currently looking for an IRS. It will be the first thing I do.

I'm not really hung up on the emblems. It was more of a post out of curiousity. I'd prob just leave the 5.0's...or maybe get the 4.6's?

Isn't there a Cobra emblem with supercharged under it? Or was that 5.0/4.6?

If that is the combo, Cobra emblems should go on.

If Hack Job had any 4V style Cobra motor, it would have Cobra emblems, and a nice SVT chrome badge on the trunk lid.