Looking for stainless timing cover bolts

joncash

just high enough to be functional
Founding Member
Dec 9, 2000
The USA's peen
A while back, Windsor-Fox was selling stainless timing cover bolt/stud kits for EFI'ed 5.0's. Since WF is out of business, anyone know where to find those kits now? Corrosion irritates me.

• Sponsors (?)

just did that with mine. go to lowes store. best selection. you want 5/16-18 bolts. i can give you the exact counts and lengths if u want. i'll just have to dig up my notes. i just bought em yesterday. works great. grade 8.

I don't believe Windsor Fox made their bolts, and I can't believe that there is no one out here that knows who their source was for this product. I contacted ARP, asked them if they had any demand for these items, here was the reply:
HELLO,
I HAVE NOT HEARD ANY TALK ABOUT DOING ONE FOR THAT BUT I WILL BRING IT
UP AT THE NEXT MEETING WE HAVE FOR NEW KITS
THANK YOU
RONF
Maybe if more people contacted them, they would put something together.

Lems

hardware stores will have chrome, if your wanting shiny hardware. get the chrome ones. stainless arent shiny they are just gray, unless you polish it.

i bought some 5/16 by 18 hex cap screws at ace, they were chrome and they were 1.70ish at ace, i needed them to fill some holes on my draglites. the previous owner had slick screwed down.

See http://totallystainless.net/totally.html for the bolts. Last time I checked, they didn't have the studs. Nice folks, very into cars of all types. They have all kinds of stainless fasteners for almost every car. The prices are very reasonable, less than $10 for the water pump kit without the studs. It might be possible to get them to make some kits with studs. They would need some samples to use for dimensions. The Motormite kit might be the right item for that.

The studs are a Motormite item available at your local Advance Discount auto Parts store.

Motormite Water Pump Stud Kits for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars and trucks w/3.8L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.8L.

23744.jpg

Part Number: 23744

Use lots of anit seize when you assemble the bolts.

A long shank tap should be used to chase the leftover metal out of the original threads. Also recommended to clean the corrosion and dirt out of the threads before you reassemble everything. Cleaning the threads will help prevent the bolts from seizing next time (yes, there will be a next time).

Long shank 5/16” taps

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=04801189 5/16” pulley tap, 6” shank P/N 04801189 price $18.91

I mentioned Windsor Fox b/c that was a source that a lot of people would be familiar with, but I also saw them somewhere else. Someone out there has got to remember!

This is getting to be for me like when you and your friends are trying to remember an actor's name or the title of a song that was popular in high school....maybe it's just me.

have no old ones to go by.
This is my issue; I want the bolts before I tear everything apart, not hunting them down after disassembly.

hardware stores will have chrome, if your wanting shiny hardware. get the chrome ones. stainless arent shiny they are just gray, unless you polish it.
I don't necessarily want shiny, it just so happened the stainless kit was already polished. I want the non-corrosion of stainless. Chrome bolts for the water pump is definitely not what I am looking for.

Lems