Magnaflow Question

• Sponsors (?)

Is this the correct muffler size to use for my '66.

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

Im wondering because there are so many different sizes and I don't know what size I need. I am not buying the kit because I want a custom fit exhaust. Thanks for any help.

Unless you are going to a muffler shop where they have a mandrel tubing bender, you're probably going to be MUCH better off getting the Magnaflow kit, because it has full mandrel bends on everything, and you can get the whole 2-1/2" kit for $351 shipped from Performance Peddler.

The mufflers alone elsewhere are going to cost you a minimum of $200 shipped.

All you have to do is go to their site with the part number, submit an "offer", and they will respond back with their lowest price.

I strongly urge you to reconsider using a muffler shop to install a custom exhaust system, because you can get a much better quality system using the kit from Magnaflow through Performance Peddler, and it's pretty easy to install.

By the way, those are *not* the mufflers that come in the kit; the ones that come in the kit are these:

This is the 2-1/2" kit:

This is the 3" kit:

By the way, you can get the 3" kit for something like $488 shipped; I purchased the 2-1/2" kit, and am using a different configuration . . . I ditched the mufflers in favor of a set of DynoMax 20" case, 2-1/2" offset inlet/center outlet SuperTurbo mufflers, I am using a Magnaflow 14" body "X-Flow" 2-1/2" dual inlet/dual outlet muffler in place of the "X-pipe", and am using a set of DynoMax 12" body, 2-1/2" inlet/outlet Race Bullets in the tailpipes as resonators.

The reason for the changes is for "stealth" . . . as I've mentioned in other posts, I like to sneak up on the unsuspecting "prey"; I also like to put my foot to the floor often, and when you have loud exhaust, it attracts unwanted attention from the local police force . . .

Getting back to the point, though--like I said, unless the muffler shop you're using has a mandrel bender (most of the time, those are quite scarce), then you'll get MUCH better results with the kit--and you can't beat that price!!

:D

will it bolt up to the headers? Also does this kit run through the exhaust cutouts or is it below the cutouts. The shop I'm going to uses mandrel bent piping.

I also considered doing the pre made kit but I really want something with a custom fit for my application. I have a pretty unique combination of parts so the last thing I wanna do is get a kit that might not exactly fit what I have. I do appreciate your input though and thanks for the link to the mufflers.

Am I gonna notice any difference between the ones you linked and the ones I purchased? Just seems they're an inch taller and an inch narrower.

will it bolt up to the headers? Also does this kit run through the exhaust cutouts or is it below the cutouts. The shop I'm going to uses mandrel bent piping.

I also considered doing the pre made kit but I really want something with a custom fit for my application. I have a pretty unique combination of parts so the last thing I wanna do is get a kit that might not exactly fit what I have. I do appreciate your input though and thanks for the link to the mufflers.

Am I gonna notice any difference between the ones you linked and the ones I purchased? Just seems they're an inch taller and an inch narrower.

There are pipes included with the kit that go forward from the "X-pipe", and it looks like they will go to a set of full length header collectors (I didn't use them, because I custom-fitted the "True-X" Magnaflow muffler, and as such, used a couple of 90-degree bends on each side to make an "S").

I believe the mufflers that come in the kit (the ones I linked) are better suited for this application, because they fit up in the spaces where the mufflers go much easier.

As far as fit goes, from what I understand, it's nearly a bolt-on system, according to all the posts I've read on this and other forums; because I customized my system, I used only parts of the pipes from the kit, and the tailpipes only, and I'm modifying the tailpipes to fit the DynoMax SuperTurbo mufflers (They're 6" longer) and to include the DynoMax Race Bullets, but other than that, they seem to fit up in the rearend area pretty nicely.

For the price, you really can't go wrong . . . and you can pretty much do it yourself--the kit contains just about everything you would need.

Oh, and the kit will allow you to run tips through the cutouts in the valance, or use the included stainless steel turndown tips. My '70 didn't come with the cutouts in the valance, so I bought and painted one that has them, and I'm using a set of resonated oval tips that look similar to the oval tips that came on that year Mach 1's.

I'll have to look when I get home. If they still hang above or even with the headers as far as height goes then it won't matter as far as clearance goes. They're pretty evenly sized so we'll see.

I also ordered one of Magnaflows True-X pipes to have the shop install as well.

Nice. That's exactly how my Magnaflow setup will look. I have it at the exhaust shop right now. Just waiting on them to run the pipes and for my polished stainless tips to arrive. It's gonna be a tight fit by the gas tank with 3" tips through the exhaust cutouts.

I think though since it's 2.5" tubing all the way to the tips I'll be fine.

Nice. That's exactly how my Magnaflow setup will look. I have it at the exhaust shop right now. Just waiting on them to run the pipes and for my polished stainless tips to arrive. It's gonna be a tight fit by the gas tank with 3" tips through the exhaust cutouts.

I think though since it's 2.5" tubing all the way to the tips I'll be fine.

Be sure to post pics when it's done . . .

Here's a couple shots of the exhaust progress. The tips come tomorrow. This piping is all regularly bent and is not stainless. I think the guy did a great job and upon inspection there appears to be no real loss of diameter. I'll post some more pics of the finished product when I get it back Monday.

58552d1244761592-magnaflow-question-img_0064.jpg

58553d1244761605-magnaflow-question-img_0059.jpg

Here's a couple shots of the exhaust progress. The tips come tomorrow. This piping is all regularly bent and is not stainless. I think the guy did a great job and upon inspection there appears to be no real loss of diameter. I'll post some more pics of the finished product when I get it back Monday.

You should have gone with the Magnaflow kit--contrary to what you posted previously, your muffler shop used the standard crush bender to bend the pipes, and as such, the pipe diameter has been reduced by as much as 1/4".

It looks good, but I'm not sure why the mid pipes have to have so many bends in them.

I can agree with the fitment of a kit potentially being a problem. I got some mandrel bent 2.5 tailpipes and they didn't fit very well at all. They had to be modified some to fit.

I do think the crush type bender is better then the one that crushes and leaves the ripples in it too. Those suck.

Actually, I don't think any muffler shops do mandrel pipe bending, at least none that I have seen.

this definitely isn't losing anything close to 1/4". I inspected it today.

You may want to measure it--crush benders typically reduce pipe size by 1/8" to 1/4" or more, and looking at the pictures you posted, it looks like at least 1/8" and probably more that the diameter of the pipe has been reduced by.

Also, the tailpipes aren't completed yet, and I guarantee that those will be more than the minor bends your muffler shop did.

I seriously doubt that you have modified your car more than I have on my '70, where I installed a 98 Explorer 5.0L and 4R70W transmission, complete with external high pressure fuel pump and system for the EFI, and for exhaust, I used a set of shorty headers.

Had I just used the pipes and mufflers in the kit, it would have all fit perfectly--just like everybody else who purchased them said they would . . .

But hey, if you don't want mandrel bends, and want to $200+ for just the mufflers, and have a muffler shop install them and charge you another couple hundred bucks instead of buying the Magnaflow that you can install yourself for $351, then that's certainly your choice!

Good luck on your car!

How do you know I haven't modified my car as much as yours?

Lets see.
5.0 Roller motor
T-5 swap
Cable clutch
Electric fuel pump
Versailles 9inch
5 leaf reverse eye springs
sway bar
4 wheel disc brakes
Larger gas tank

But yea you know my mods already apparently so why did I bother to list them.......

How do you know I haven't modified my car as much as yours?

Lets see.
5.0 Roller motor
T-5 swap
Cable clutch
Electric fuel pump
Versailles 9inch
5 leaf reverse eye springs
sway bar
4 wheel disc brakes
Larger gas tank

But yea you know my mods already apparently so why did I bother to list them.......

Well, here's exactly what I said: " . . . I seriously doubt that you have modified your car more than I have . . ."

Now, since you have all your mods listed in your signature, and since the pictures clearly show anything that would affect exhaust placement - except for an electric fuel pump - which would only affect placement if it were near the fuel tank (as my two fuel pumps are and do), it would seem clear that using the kit wouldn't have posed any problems, based on your list of modifications (compared to the ones I have made), the pictures you have provided, and my own personal experience with the kit.

It appears to me that you decided to just use those mufflers regardless of the results or cost, and like I said before, it's your car, your money, and your choices--you can do whatever you want--more power to ya!

:nice: