Mark VIII, installed.

• Sponsors (?)

HISSIN50 said:
Michael, you know way more about this stuff than i do. i figured i would toss that out, as it is supposed to help with relay lifespan (a $3 diode vs a $30 relay). but i dont think that the fan on my older stuff (or bikes) has a diode (not that i looked), so i bet you are right.

but if one was to be frying relays (like Mustang John was), it might be worthwhile.
i dont really believe the diode is necassary :shrug: ive been running a Mk8 fan for over 3yrs on the same Bosche 75A relay with NO problems. just my .02

Scott

Some heavy duty relays have a diode in them already. It helps reduce long term contact face errosion from arcing during the opening cycle. Some have a "leading" or "arcing" contact face before the main contact face just for the purpose of taking the erosion away from the main contact surface.

tmoss said:
Some heavy duty relays have a diode in them already. It helps reduce long term contact face errosion from arcing during the opening cycle. Some have a "leading" or "arcing" contact face before the main contact face just for the purpose of taking the erosion away from the main contact surface.
nice info Tom. where do you get this stuff? :)

tmoss said:
You have to look at the tech specifications of the bosch relays - their available on-line
why would i do that, i have YOU, Tom. LOL :)

(I've never used the high amp relay - mostly 30 amp SPDT's for me. I aint no TMoss!). :D