new tps question

• Sponsors (?)

noslow5_0 said:
real quick if anyone can help... when i adjusted my tps with the koeo to .95v and start it up, the voltage fluctuates from .89 to 1.05.... Is this normal???
Can't say as I have ever seen one fluxuate. I just left you the proceedure for the base idle and tps adjustment on your other post but here it is again.
You have to have a volt meter to adjust the tps to the proper setting. The throttle blade has to be set for the base idle first. With the engine warm disconnect the harness to the iac motor. If the base idle is set correctly it should idle @ approx. 700rpm's. If not, adjust the idle screw on the t/b to the correct rpm. Now with the engine still running, connect a volt meter. Black to groung and red to the tps signal wire. Maybe green depending on year. The other 2 wires are ground and your 5 volt reference. rotate the tps until you acheive .95 -.99 of a volt and tighten down the screws. Now plug in the iac motor and if that's functioning properly the car should idle normally. Hope this helps. You must adjust the base idle first before the tps adjustment!!! Also I had a similar problem but it turned out to be the 75mm pro m bullit mas air I put on it. I put the old one back on and guess what, no more problem. Give it a try

ProSC, i think you are onto something. his voltage is fluctuating with even deviation either way from the setting he set it at (more or less). maybe the thing is slightly loose and motor vibs are causing it to "wiggle" a little.
i would wiggle it by hand and try to note ANY play in it, even if the screws are tight.

only other options i can think of are a bad unit (doubt it) or the ground for the puter is screwey (doesnt the puter use ground in its references? something like that).

good stuff, SC :nice:

ProSC, i just bought a new tps, gonna try tommorow... I just got back from the track an my car ran like crap!!! Went from a 9 flat in the 1/8th to my best tonight a 9.46.... I left the elbow off of my moroso cold air intake at home... Whoops... Do you think that with just the filter bolted to the maf i could possible be getting some "fan wash" and therefore throwing my maf all out of wack?? The filter is just the one that came with my moroso.. Also i ran my codes a little while ago and i got a 91 which is 02 signal from my haynes (it sucks) manual i have.... Keep the suggestions comin since ive tried just about everything else.....

Check the voltage on the Orange/White wire (VREF) and the Black wire. It is supposed to be rock solid between the 4.75 -5.25 volt range and should not change once you have gotten a good connection probing the wires.

Changing VREF voltage is usally a bad connection at the TPS connector or 10 pin connector.

i think it should be in the range Jrichker gave above (4.75 to 5.25). mine goes to ~4.8 IIRC.
if not mentioned, preferably using an analog voltmeter, check the voltage as the throttle in opened. it should have a nice even sweep (no jumps or misses).
good luck.

90silverstang said:
I just replaced my TPS, I set it for .98v but I didn't adjust the throttle plate first. How can i verify if I'm idling at 700rpm with the IAC disconnected. The tach in the car I wouldn't trust. Any tricks??
No tricks, you need some sort of tach or a dvom that has an inductive pick up for the tach signal. The tach in the car should be good enough. Half way between 500 and 1000 rpm's should be sufficiant. :nice:

i think Big B is right on. you would need the things he mentions, but it really doesnt matter. do you really care if its at 650 or 750, since i bet you are setting it to where it sounds and runs decent. kind of like timing. no two cars are the same, so no magical number exists. i set timing by ear and then check it with a light so i know what its at. just set it up so it runs decent. when the cars get this old, you can set it to factory specs anymore.

PRO50SC said:
No tricks, you need some sort of tach or a dvom that has an inductive pick up for the tach signal. The tach in the car should be good enough. Half way between 500 and 1000 rpm's should be sufficiant. :nice:
I want to make sure I got this right.--- To adjust the TPS you 1st disconnect the IAC connector with engine off, then start engine, and adjust the throttle plate screw for about 700rpm. Next is to shut down engine plug in the IAC connector. Then, with a dc voltmeter adjust the TPS for .98v with the ignition switch in the on position without engine running. Do i have this right??
Thanks for the help.

Mike